Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

We defended well second half but but it was a lot to ask our defensive players to hold out for 45 

we could’ve asked more questions second half and @Caerphilly Ram is right …Collo looked out in his feet and maybe a Washington a bit earlier might’ve meant the second goal doesn’t happen as Collo was easily turned 

I agree a point before game was a good point but as I said before game pompy are nothing special and second half we sat off too much we should really have  beaten them twice this season imo 

Wycombe next, just 3 days after their Cup Final against Peterborough. There will be a few tired legs on the pitch.

Then Leyton Orient who have won just 1 in 6 and ate now pretty much out of the Playoff race.

A tricky away game vs Cambridge fighting for survival, but should be safe by the time we play them. They've won their last 2, but went 7 without a win before that.

Finishing off against soon to be relegated Carlisle, managed by someone who would surely give us a helping hand if we needed it

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Press a man hard on a pitch as waterlogged as that and as you approach he’ll push the ball to one side and watch you slide towards the bye line like a duck landing on a lake north of Toronto in February 

I didnt say hard, it said a high press so when the ball went forward not press all the time then giving them time all the time 

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Surely every post in here is an opinion?

X had a good game tonight.

That’s a good point.

Warne’s subs were poor.

Thompson looked lively.

Wildsmith has to do better there.

Warne deserves credit tonight.

Pretty much everyone’s statements in here are opinions. Mine too. It would look a bit tedious if you have to write IMO after every line.

Opinions are fine as long as they aren’t insulting anybody.

Fair point, guess I just can’t get on board with how you put things across in your posts but that’s clearly no concern of yours and not enough of an issue for me to go on about further. 

29 minutes ago, bcnram said:

The referee had a great game, he refereed it sensibly for the conditions and for the occasion.  

He missed the handball. Should have booked their cm for the foul on Sibley.

Apart from that 

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Opinions are fine as long as they aren’t insulting anybody.

That’s good then, here’s my opinion , people ( small number ) who come on here to rubbish our , team and or manager in a match thread to bring people down or wind them up constantly are not derby fans , they are not invested in what’s going on NOW , have disdain for fans who are happy and getting some excitement and enjoyment from being in the hunt for promotion and if it was up to me I would ban them till end of season to let us proper fans enjoy the ride ,,, 

that’s my opinion and I’ve held back a bit from saying it but duck it , it needs saying 

Firstly, what an enjoyable game of football. Was a pleasure to see Derby as a part of that and matched a very good team at the top. Pompey will win this league, we can take confidence from our performance tonight into the last four matches.

My only gripe, with my derby bias, is that I felt they got a few favourable decisions in that 10-15 minutes before they scored which helped peg us back into our own half and made us get deeper and deeper. But also, we didn’t help ourselves and seemed less and less comfortable. You didn’t think with 30 mins to go we could defend like we were and hold out because we were loosing shape too often and not getting the ball into their half for any length of time. 

Aside that, I can’t tell you one player who I thought played poorly and Warne got his tactics spot on. I can’t put it simpler.

I’ve said a few times, one thing Warne has done really well this season is that every player has contributed to a key moment this season. Tonight was Joe Ward’s turn, he’s a big game player and he showed it tonight. Still think Blackett-Taylor may yet still get his before the season is out.

Thought it was Adams best game, another who thrives to the occasion. Smith is maybe our most underrated player.

Finally, four great goals. I don’t think we can analyse the ones we conceaded too much and neither can pompey with ours. Both sides have a bit of a weakness at full back and both sides were able to take advantage.

3 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

A wet pitch and players slipping is potentially the WORST conditions to try a high intensity press as easy to sidestep someone racing in to close you down.... look at the 1st goal we conceded, Nelson needed to hold position instead of getting too close to be easily passed, but it's hard in those conditions 

Thats not high press in that manor i ment when the ball is forward which is a high press! High press is putting pressure on there defensive line where pressing is consistant pressing around the pitch it does get confused alot but coaching terms thats what its classed as 

11 minutes ago, sage said:

The content i largely agree with, but the timing...

Yep , whether we agree or not ,it’s clear the timing is just a wind up to pee on derby fans enjoyment of the moment 

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Vydra wasn’t good enough. He had one decent half season when Rowett could get a tune out of him but was subsequently mediocre for the rest of his time here. 

Well he was League 1 player of the year at Watford and again with us when we decided playing him on the wing really wasn't the best idea. He was 3 seconds ahead of any forward in this division ability wise when played correctly.  

Great spirit showed by us tonight, Thought Adams, Ward and Cashin where our stand out players also thought Sibbo did well, for saying he was left back and had there most dangerous player to mark, a good point, and if we show that commitment and effort over the next 4 games we will go up. A happy Ram tonight. 

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Calling Jack Marriott a £5m dud. It was harsh admittedly. I’m glad he has gone on to have a good career.

You admitted to deliberate trolling. The content of the post was irrelevant.

Let’s leave it there and enjoy a decent away point.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7