Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

6 hours ago, Warren Blufitt said:

Well to be fair last week shouldn’t have gone to your heads because you were largely outplayed. If anything it should have been at best a point but fair enough you got the winner whilst Wanderers missed their chances.

Just bitterballs - grow up.

18 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thought the same with Gayle last week.  He was being asked to press the goalie and was running 30 yards at pace to do so every time he had the ball at feet.  I said he'll pull up here soon. Hey presto 5 minutes later.

Gayle pulled up after 21 minutes. I doubt he'd have done that closing down unless he'd felt fit enough to do it. 

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I was able to jump on the betfair exchange and lay (bet against) Derby getting promoted £133 returns £240 profit. I bet against Derby every game anyway, but I lost £80 on the Bolton game alone so this just seems like a more stable way of monetising my depression.

Obviously Betfair is going to be better for serious gamblers, but I've never used it. Instead, I saw I had a "free" £5 "build a bet" on Sky about to expire so I went for Northampton winning and us not scoring (as I figured we were unlikely to concede 2). For which they gave me 9/1. Really all that does is add money to the account which can all be lumped on us losing a more crucial match nearer the end of the season, should it come to the worst.

Please let us go up automatically and have me lose all my gambling funds!

Thank you for all the love, well wishes and oh matron moments, everyone.

Shame about the result, but I suppose it would not be Derby County if it was all smooth sailing.

With six games to go, we have our destiny in our own hands and that’s what counts. Blackpool will be tough but we’ll hopefully bounce back and flicker into life again.

Must admit I am a bit disappointed that it was just me who rose to the occasion and performed when it mattered.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Thank you for all the love, well wishes and oh matron moments, everyone.

Shame about the result, but I suppose it would not be Derby County if it was all smooth sailing.

With six games to go, we have our destiny in our own hands and that’s what counts. Blackpool will be tough but we’ll hopefully bounce back and flicker into life again.

Must admit I am a bit disappointed that it was just me who rose to the occasion and performed when it mattered.

Great. The only person to score for Derby yesterday wasn’t on the pitch 

Didn’t watch the match but by all accounts we had a stinker. 

Feel low about it all at the moment. But despite the defeat my bigger concern is our injury list. 

Sounds like we could have a couple back for the Wycombe match but we’ve got to play 2 matches before then. If NML is out for the season then we’re done for.

Using boring logic, if we win 4 out of our 6 matches it takes us to 90 points. Means one of the chasing pack would need to win 6 out of 7 to overtake us. Some effort if that happens.

Think we need a win on Friday whether it’s a lucky win or deserved. Then using my logic above we need to win 3 out of the last 4. Can’t see us getting more than a point at Pompey.

Reflecting on yesterday, it wasn’t great, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world.  It really comes down to the first half.  We settled down after the first 10-15mins and got on top.  The problem is we didn’t take our chances in that spell.  We had 3 good opportunities and on another day at least 1 goes in.  There was also a foul on Wilson for the goal - the ref was poor all game.  They still have to get up the other end but we’re then dragged out of position but credit to their striker, he finished well.

The 2nd half was incredibly scrappy and their gamesmanship of stopping play every 2mins got to us.  The most disappointing thing is Bradley getting sent off, not for yesterday but for the impact on the next 3 games, especially with Fozzy out.

It’s still in our hands, although tighter than we’d like.  All other teams around us will also drop points as it’s a busy period.  Hopefully having less games will work in our favour as we can be better prepared and players have more recovery time, especially as we’re a bit threadbare for the next 2-3 weeks.  This team is resilient and bounces back.  We just need to do it one more time for a final push.

Well that was shxt ,,, everyone shares the blame , the manager and the team,

there wasn’t an inch of space to be found on the pitch and it was just a pinball like display from both teams with balls bouncing off players feet , heads and knees at random especially out wide where they just strangled us with numbers and determination to block any progress up the field ,we perhaps missed max bird badly today to give us a different option through the middle and change it up and perhaps warnes subs were very stale as it clearly wasn’t working , more injuries and more pressure ,

this being a derby fan is not all it’s cracked up to be 😂

Edited by Archied

13 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

The only problem with your comments is that this result was actually expected. Its what we do. We are quite likely to hold the door open for you, and even buy you some really expensive running shoes just to make sure you can storm past us. This is the umpteenth time we have had a chance to go clear of the teams behind away and thrown it away with a shocking performance, terrible team selection and terrible tactics.

All the best for the run in, mate. It was automatic or bust for us, and we put all our money on a horse called "Bust". We won't survive the play-offs.

But that could be me talking about Wanderers too Dave. Not many weeks ago we had games in hand and have thrown them away since. Even before that we had 3 games in hand on Portsmouth and could realistically have gone top but each time we’ve failed to take advantage in games we could and should have won, including Pompey away actually. Of course yesterday was a disappointment, it was a game you should have won and pretty much sealed second place but let’s be honest, you’re still in pole position with a 4 points lead and a better goal difference with only 7 games left. Anything can happen yet obviously but despite yesterday I’d have your position to Wanderers position any day. It’s still yours to lose so if you do it’s only down to yourselves. Let’s hope however it’s done we’re playing each other in the Championship next year because along with Pompey I think we’re all clubs that should be? 😉

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think Bradley just can't cope with any sort of pressure. He struggled when making his first few starts at home, and he's now crumbled under the pressure of expectation. 

Not sure it's failure to deal with pressure, but he definitely started the season clumsily and then really improved ...before being really tentative,  sluggish and ultimately losing his head yesterday.

Doesn't use his size in the opposition box as much as I'd hoped, less of a leader than Cashin/Nelson and worse on the ball than I feared.

Ends all talk of a back 3 I guess now. 

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Didn’t watch the match but by all accounts we had a stinker. 

Feel low about it all at the moment. But despite the defeat my bigger concern is our injury list. 

Sounds like we could have a couple back for the Wycombe match but we’ve got to play 2 matches before then. If NML is out for the season then we’re done for.

Using boring logic, if we win 4 out of our 6 matches it takes us to 90 points. Means one of the chasing pack would need to win 6 out of 7 to overtake us. Some effort if that happens.

Think we need a win on Friday whether it’s a lucky win or deserved. Then using my logic above we need to win 3 out of the last 4. Can’t see us getting more than a point at Pompey.

I said pretty much the same to a friend on messenger last night. Four wins SHOULD do it but it’s hard to be especially confident where four wins will come from. Blackpool aren’t as good away from home as they are at home but could still prove tricky. Same applies for Orient. Carlisle is obviously the one that stands out as the most winnable. Where will the away win come? Most likely at Cambridge. I could see us nicking a point at Pompey and maybe at Wycombe but not much more.

This isn’t just a knee jerk reaction to yesterday’s defeat. I felt the same before the game but was a little more confident as I saw Northampton as one of those four wins.

I said a while back that it might well come down to who has the least games in which they drop unexpected points. We dropped three yesterday (based on what I was expecting not how we played). We might need the chasing pack to return the favour.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thought the same with Gayle last week.  He was being asked to press the goalie and was running 30 yards at pace to do so every time he had the ball at feet.  I said he'll pull up here soon. Hey presto 5 minutes later.

I agree, it's ridiculous that football players are being asked to run during a football match, what is Warne thinking?

10 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Thought we had a good twenty minutes. pass and move, balls into feet, give & go, looked sharp, one twos, plenty of movement, anyway ………then they all went in, pulled up their socks, came out again, the ref blew his whistle to kick off and that was that! 👍😁

Listening to PW on Radio Derby post match… he thought they didn’t look right in the warm up so no idea what you were watching 🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think Bradley just can't cope with any sort of pressure. He struggled when making his first few starts at home, and he's now crumbled under the pressure of expectation. 

"Crumbled" isn't quite what I'd call it, but you may have a point about pressure. I think until yesterday it was more the physical pressure than the mental pressure. He's looked tentative in aerial challenges and prone to getting pushed and pulled around by more physical opponents, as if he's wary of further injury. To then risk both injury and heavy suspension by headbutting an opponent does suggest he mentally "snapped" - the culmination of game after game of being wrestled at corners etc with absolutely nothing from referees. It shouldn't happen, he's an experienced player, but everyone has a breaking point (see Zadane.Z, Cantona. E et al)