Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Plenty of refs would have given NML a red 

Interesting that one. Two players hell for leather wanting the ball. I reckon NML was probably a tad “out of control”

Saying wreckless would be harsh and there was no intent .. I don’t know the rules but to me it was blood and thunder battling rather than dirty play with intent. A yellow seemed just … but whether that’s what the rule book says is a different matter ? 

25 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Losing Dwight Gayle is a bit crap. He’s been brill , hopefully waggy can get us over the line 

I was gutted for us and him when I saw him moving gingerly and frustratingly pulling his shirt over his head. I knew then and there his race was run.

Typical of our luck I thought. However kudos to Warne and his staff. They turned this massive negative into a positive. 

It allowed us to get an extra man into midfield as we were getting a bit over-run in there. However we have to hope and pray that it's not as bad as it looked. We need a fit Dwight Gayle if we are to capitalise on the position we find ourselves in. 🤞

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

A few quickfire thoughts from me on todays game:

- Curtis Nelson might well be the signing of the season. Followed closely by Kane Wilson.

- Forsyth was good today but I was very surprised that the MoM award didn’t go to either Wildsmith or Cashin. Both kept us in the game at times.

- We need to begin moving on from Hourihane now. He is just not offering enough and his tracking back is very poor. Thompson and Adams in the middle for me, going forward.

- Derby fans are great. 

Hourihan has assets but against athletic teams looking for interceptions / anticipating / pressing .. he gets caught. It happened to Rooney. It’s those nano seconds of reaction time. The toll is taken 

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Plenty of refs would have given NML a red 

But that would have been incorrect, NML was not out of control, just over stretched and his foot was firmly on the ground with no studs showing. So, again I give credit to the ref for getting the decision correct. As somebody else pointed out, Adams was flattened in the six yard box, but I missed that incident, you could say that plenty of refs would have given us a penalty there.

Why do some people try so hard to look for negatives in every game we win?

9 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Why do some people try so hard to look for negatives in every game we win?

Bearing in mind after some games the majority were saying he wasn't good enough and they wanted a change,  its amazing how quickly the mood changes for me!

Also - even the biggest Warne supporter would struggle to say we keep emphatically putting the opposition to the sword either.

It's a tough watch at times, lots of tight games, plenty of energy and heart but free flowing football rarely seen in both halves. Strong defenders,  soaking up pressure, quick breaks down the wing and moments of quality are often what we are working towards.

Somehow we are clear in 2nd without it really feeling like we have played 'that' well many times.

Functional, hard working, content to win by the odd goal... the whole season feels slightly characterised as going to be 'who cares about the performance, just get the points'...

But we knew that before he started and he's done it before and its no fluke.  

And he's 7 games away from becoming a Derby legend.

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Bearing in mind after some games the majority were saying he wasn't good enough and they wanted a change,  its amazing how quickly the mood changes for me!

Also - even the biggest Warne supporter would struggle to say we keep emphatically putting the opposition to the sword either.

It's a tough watch at times, lots of tight games, plenty of energy and heart but free flowing football rarely seen in both halves. Strong defenders,  soaking up pressure, quick breaks down the wing and moments of quality are often what we are working towards.

Somehow we are clear in 2nd without it really feeling like we have played 'that' well many times.

Functional, hard working, content to win by the odd goal... the whole season feels slightly characterised as going to be 'who cares about the performance, just get the points'...

But we knew that before he started and he's done it before and its no fluke.  

And he's 7 games away from becoming a Derby legend.

Derby legend when we are promoted Forest get relegated and we beat them 1st game.

Not sure what to comment that hasn’t been said but I want to join in on the buzz.

not l that long ago we were behind Bolton, then ahead but they had games in hand. At one point I think they had two games in hand and we were one point ahead. 

Really hope Gayle, Barks and Wards injuries are not too severe. 

Waggy got more minutes in him today but looked far off the pace (admittedly against the BEST team to come and play at Pride Park 😉😂)

really hope Gayle will be ok 

Bird back soon to hopefully replace CH 

Foz .. what a guy. What a player and what a servant to the club 

Ebou - so important to us and such a good player. Love that he plays for my team.

back 3 immense - week in week out 

wildsmith - hope the issues he was having are or get sorted and he extends his time here. He’s a very good goalkeeper.

fans did us proud - the numbers and volume were a credit to the club and city. 

Finally I hope you enjoyed that DC. I hope you heard the fans and atmosphere and saw the effort and honesty about the boys on the pitch and I hope you were proud. 

DTID

Edited by norwichram

My Fitbit gave me a warning about my heart rate hitting 130 during the last few minutes, which says it all! God it was an ugly match, but last season we lose that 2 or 3 nil and I'm absolutely buzzing that we managed to bulldoze our way over the line.

What a player Sheehan looked for them, though. If we do get over the line, I'd love us to pick him up.

I thought they were the better footballing team by some distance and probably edged the game overall.

Our CBs and GK were better than their's though and that, plus the fans, pulled us through.

Forsyth was immense and Cashin not far behind.

Not sure we can keep going into games with Hourihane in a 2 though. 

Edited by sage

13 minutes ago, norwichram said:

Not sure what to comment that hasn’t been said but I want to join in on the buzz.

not l that long ago we were behind Bolton, then ahead but they had games in hand. At one point I think they had two games in hand and we were one point ahead. 

Really hope Gayle, Barks and Wards injuries are not too severe. 

Waggy got more minutes in him today but looked far off the pace (admittedly against the BEST team to come and play at Pride Park 😉😂)

really hope Gayle will be ok 

Bird back soon to hopefully replace CH 

Foz .. what a guy. What a player and what a servant to the club 

Ebou - so important to us and such a good player. Love that he plays for my team.

back 3 immense - week in week out 

wildsmith - hope the issues he was having are or get sorted and he extends his time here. He’s a very good goalkeeper.

fans did us proud - the numbers and volume were a credit to the club and county. 

Finally I hope you enjoyed that DC. I hope you heard the fans and atmosphere and saw the effort and honesty about the boys on the pitch and I hope you were proud. 

DTID

FTFY

15 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Obviously it’s an important game but I wouldn’t say the losers are facing the play offs in the face just yet. Also, whoever loses, it may not be because they “choked in a critical moment”. 

Weirdly I was closer to the truth than I figured...

With 3 points potentially on the board before Bolton play again  and 2 or 3 other teams waiting on any slip-up, I think Bolton probably do feel they are staring at the play offs now.

If Carlsberg did Saturday football it would probably look like today .....😀

Glancing through the match day thread on Bolton's forum. It's quite cute to see them making a point of how much better they are than us....as the Derby fans were booing regularly throughout the game. They say that Evatt even acknowledged the home support booing in his post match interview.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. 😂 Ebooooooooou!

Screenshot_20240316-233200~3.png

Edited by Ram@Lincoln