Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

Nothing quality from the wing backs.  Why beat a player once when you can go round him three times then get tackled Mr Wilson.

Adams looked as poor as he has good thus far, looked a yard of the pace and his passing was rather dodgy. Awful picking up for their second.  We lost some aggression further up when Sibley went off. Wildsmiths distribution was abhorrent so we needed to keep it down and play through and took the constant easy back pass option. 

Overall, we looked second best in a game we had to get a result from against an efficient but not overly special side. The usual when it really matters. 

1 minute ago, strawhillram said:

We seem to fear every other team in the 3rd division. 
we never seem to be on top in games

Exactly this. We never dominate teams or impose an identity. Warne sets us up with so much fear it gives every team we play a chance, even if they shouldn't have one. Because of this I'm never really that shocked when we lose a game, even though it doesn't happen often.  

Recurring messages are don’t play 5 at the back, and don’t play Hourihane. We needed a striker in the window, didn’t get one, then inevitably Collins immediately injured, Gayle brought in but not selected. CBT brought in but not selected. We were told these players would improve the first X1 - why are they not playing ? This is no time to withdraw into a shell and be negative, but that is where Warne is right now. Promotion isn’t going to be gifted, we have to go get it.

I'm confused about why the consensus seems to be that we should have gone 4-3-3 earlier because I feel like playing a 3/5 kept us in the game when they were pressing. Their front two and the supporting midfielder would have overrun a back 4 because, let's be honest, you'd be wanting the fullbacks to bomb on too, so it'd be 2v3 on the break. You can't go away to a form team and play that aggressively.

My problem with the formation was the frantic switching at the end where the players looked lost as to what they were supposed to be doing.

Overall, two poor teams today. I think we win that with a fit squad, but it is what it is.

1 minute ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Exactly this. We never dominate teams or impose an identity. Warne sets us up with so much fear it gives every team we play a chance, even if they shouldn't have one. Because of this I'm never really that shocked when we lose a game, even though it doesn't happen often.  

Warne is a bloody show pony , stupid hats , thinks he's funny birds me to death. 

It is what it is. 

If we do go up we’re gonna do it playing this industrious version of football. If we lose then obviously the style of play opens Warne up for criticism. 

Had Barnsley down to beat us today and that’s exactly what they did. Bit concerning as their run in is easier than everybody else’s but maybe they’ll stutter once they feel the pressure. 

A win on Tuesday will be nice whether it’s by hook or by crook.

Warne said it looked like a play off game . Let’s hope it’s not . When Barnsley got us on the back foot we didn’t have a player up front to hold the ball or win a free kick to get the pressure off. We all know why and it’s too late to moan now .

9 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

Recurring messages are don’t play 5 at the back, and don’t play Hourihane. We needed a striker in the window, didn’t get one, then inevitably Collins immediately injured, Gayle brought in but not selected. CBT brought in but not selected. We were told these players would improve the first X1 - why are they not playing ? This is no time to withdraw into a shell and be negative, but that is where Warne is right now. Promotion isn’t going to be gifted, we have to go get it.

To be fair I get why he didn’t start Gayle and you can’t really hold against Warne.

12 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

Cbt has been injured 🤷

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

It is what it is. 

If we do go up we’re gonna do it playing this industrious version of football. If we lose then obviously the style of play opens Warne up for criticism. 

Had Barnsley down to beat us today and that’s exactly what they did. Bit concerning as their run in is easier than everybody else’s but maybe they’ll stutter once they feel the pressure. 

A win on Tuesday will be nice whether it’s by hook or by crook.

It isn't what it isn't.

See the usual suspects see the opportunity to beat their agenda and spout the usual crap

even game nothing in it

both team worked tirelessly, both teams gave away a sloppy goal from a corner , they won it effeftively with a wonderful strike

we put plenty of decent balls in that with our top scorer in their or one of the other 3 injured forwards we get something from.

we go again