Paul Warne

Day

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’d be churlish not to give Warne some credit, given that we’ve been promoted. But we had a strong squad relative to the rest - especially second half of the season - and we were consistently inconsistent throughout.  I would love it to be better under PW next season but tbh that would be a (pleasant) surprise. 

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Quite easily. It depends on the opposition 

If you think we played pretty consistently to the level our squad was capable of, then just say so. (I don’t think we did !) 

Yes I do , I used the word efficient. The squad achieved results on a consistent basis , achieved 92 points and conceded the fewest goals and got promoted. 

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’d be churlish not to give Warne some credit, given that we’ve been promoted. But we had a strong squad relative to the rest - especially second half of the season - and we were consistently inconsistent throughout.  I would love it to be better under PW next season but tbh that would be a (pleasant) surprise. 

This is mental this.

From October onwards we accumulated more points than anyone else in the league and were it not for Portsmouth's unbelievable start (where I think hey won their first 10) we would have won the league. The start can be forgiven giving it was a squad that had a lot of new players in finding their feet at a new club.

But as soon as we got going, we earnt more points than anyone else.

Also we conceded 3 goals in the last ten games. THREE. And two of them were in one game.

The last 11 games we won 8 drew 2 and lost 1. If that is inconsistent then you gave give me inconsistency any day of the week.

Paul Warne was appointed here because he knows how to get out of this league, you need to be solid. Playing good football is fine, but not really a pre-requisite of getting out of League One. Bolton probably played the best football on the eye last season and they are still down there.

Warne will not play the same way in the Championship, he's not stupid. He wants athleticism and a high press to suffocate teams.

I will openly admit after Stevenage and Shrewsbury I wanted Warne out but I can hold my hands up and admit I was very wrong. 

I can't believe a man who seems to be a genuinely nice human who has got us promoted with the highest points total we have ever had, the most away wins we have have had still gets criticism.

He gets beaten with a stick every time we get linked with a player who has played for Rotherham. (I think we only have Vickers and Washington) Its pretty common for managers going to other clubs, 1. To get linked with nearly every player who has ever played for him and 2. To actually like players they have had before, trust them and wants them at his current club. Eddie Howe signing Lloyd Kelly today for as an example.

58 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I guess it depends on whether people are talking about consistency regarding performance or results. 

I do feel there’s a difference. Sometimes we see great, sometimes we were poor. That relates to performance, you never knew which Derby was going to turn up. 

However the results speak for themselves as people have mentioned. Highest point tally, scored loads, conceded little, 2 points per game and promotion. 

Surely the derby that turned up each time is the one that accumulated the highest points total EVER is their history. I always knew which one turned up, the one that ground out wins to get promoted. 

Performance can be related to a number of things, football is played many different ways, the one that PW deployed got results, just because it was not to the liking of some, doesn't mean he wasn't consistent.

50 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Yes I do , I used the word efficient. The squad achieved results on a consistent basis , achieved 92 points and conceded the fewest goals and got promoted. 

Well Reggie, call me old fashioned. But as I was watching our team on the occasions they were playing poorly and being out-played by weaker squads , I was NOT consoling myself with the deception that we were being efficient.  
(And there were too many of those occasions. )

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well Reggie, call me old fashioned. But as I was watching our team on the occasions they were playing poorly and being out-played by weaker squads , I was NOT consoling myself with the deception that we were being efficient.  
(And there were too many of those occasions. )

That’s about playing style , not consistency ? Two different things in my book, and I am probably even more old fashioned than you KH 😅

We will have to agree to disagree , which isn’t a bad thing . If we all thought the same it would be a boring old forum 👍🏼

1 hour ago, May Contain Nuts said:

tumblr_lyjiqcYeJJ1r4gei2o1_400.gifv

I hope you're alright under there @kevinhectoring.

Ok you made me laugh.

But if we had missed automatic promotion and lost at Wembley the prevailing view on here would be completely different. My views of PW as a manager are based on his team selection and our performances last season and as a result I fear next season will be tough. I had a much dimmer view of Wayne Rooney you might recall and was in the minority on that one as well. ( I’d much rather Warne than Rooney btw )

30 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

But if we had missed automatic promotion and lost at Wembley the prevailing view on here would be completely different. 

If we'd been less 'consistent' you mean? 😂

Anyway, apparently even simply addressing your posts is frowned upon by some on here, so I'll say no more about it.

49 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

If we'd been less 'consistent' you mean? 😂

Anyway, apparently even simply addressing your posts is frowned upon by some on here, so I'll say no more about it.

No frown from me , I loved last season and there were so many good things to take from it , nice to see people defend it or we could be convinced it and us were at best poor or worst terrible 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

The second was in the Oast house where the landlord agreed to a lock in because some blokes were over here training at Rolls Royce and wanted to watch the superbowl,  I stayed for the late drink and made some cash by betting against the team they all thought would win.

I really don't get why Yanks like the super bowl 

image.png.80b8281d6b0e37160b0254947de565dc.png

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Ok you made me laugh.

But if we had missed automatic promotion and lost at Wembley the prevailing view on here would be completely different. My views of PW as a manager are based on his team selection and our performances last season and as a result I fear next season will be tough. I had a much dimmer view of Wayne Rooney you might recall and was in the minority on that one as well. ( I’d much rather Warne than Rooney btw )

To miss out on promotion, we would have to have been 6 points worse off.

If we had gained 5 points more we would have been champions.

19 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well, call me totally unambitious but I’d absolutely love more of the same from PW next season. More “consistent inconsistency” and promotion to the PL via the automatics (with a 5 point leeway) would suit me just fine. Bring it on.

24 minutes ago, Allen said:

Well, call me totally unambitious but I’d absolutely love more of the same from PW next season. More “consistent inconsistency” and promotion to the PL via the automatics (with a 5 point leeway) would suit me just fine. Bring it on.

I would have been happy with mid-table obscurity. However it seems Warne is aiming to be in the Prem within 3 years . Therefore we must be bringing in a raft of class players on 3 year deals , as we don’t have any top-6 players at the moment. Some “Big teams “ have spent 20 years in the Championship, but my expectations have risen sharply . 

I am really looking forward to finding out out what the nay sayers have in their armoury next season

A few of them have dropped out of the equation:  

1) We had the best squad

2) That squad was assembled by someone else

3) We had a huge wage budget

My guesses for next year

Bad coaching

over reliance on set pieces

Tactical naivety 

Crude football

Poor recruitment (played for Rotherham, made of glass, too old)

We should have kept Wildsmith

Collins is a donkey and only scores penalties. 

Fails to use / develop academy

31 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I would have been happy with mid-table obscurity. However it seems Warne is aiming to be in the Prem within 3 years . Therefore we must be bringing in a raft of class players on 3 year deals , as we don’t have any top-6 players at the moment. Some “Big teams “ have spent 20 years in the Championship, but my expectations have risen sharply . 

If this is the quote from Talk Sport...didn't PW say that Derby County were a premiership club and it could take 3 years or 10 years to get there.

If he's said this somewhere else apple ogies for butting in 😉

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

If this is the quote from Talk Sport...didn't PW say that Derby County were a premiership club and it could take 3 years or 10 years to get there.

If he's said this somewhere else apple ogies for butting in 😉

Spot on Alf. There was zero commitment to a 3 year plan that I recall, quite the opposite in fact and quite how folk have used this to arrive at the belief that we'll be signing big names and looking to challenge from year one is beyond me.

Yet again, fans are setting themselves up and more critically, Warne and the players too, for another hard fall and a long season of discontent  and all over a comment he never even made. 

19 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Problem here is some posters don’t like warne. and the same posters will not like anyone who manages the club.

19 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

This is mental this.

From October onwards we accumulated more points than anyone else in the league and were it not for Portsmouth's unbelievable start (where I think hey won their first 10) we would have won the league. The start can be forgiven giving it was a squad that had a lot of new players in finding their feet at a new club.

But as soon as we got going, we earnt more points than anyone else.

Also we conceded 3 goals in the last ten games. THREE. And two of them were in one game.

The last 11 games we won 8 drew 2 and lost 1. If that is inconsistent then you gave give me inconsistency any day of the week.

Paul Warne was appointed here because he knows how to get out of this league, you need to be solid. Playing good football is fine, but not really a pre-requisite of getting out of League One. Bolton probably played the best football on the eye last season and they are still down there.

Warne will not play the same way in the Championship, he's not stupid. He wants athleticism and a high press to suffocate teams.

I will openly admit after Stevenage and Shrewsbury I wanted Warne out but I can hold my hands up and admit I was very wrong. 

I can't believe a man who seems to be a genuinely nice human who has got us promoted with the highest points total we have ever had, the most away wins we have have had still gets criticism.

He gets beaten with a stick every time we get linked with a player who has played for Rotherham. (I think we only have Vickers and Washington) Its pretty common for managers going to other clubs, 1. To get linked with nearly every player who has ever played for him and 2. To actually like players they have had before, trust them and wants them at his current club. Eddie Howe signing Lloyd Kelly today for as an example.

Good post and all fair points, but just for the sake of debate...

Paul Warne's record so far for keeping a team in the Championship isn't great, is it? People keep saying "oh but look at the quality of the Rotherham squad"...is our squad looking that healthy at the moment? 

Is it not fair for fans to be a bit concerned about how we'll get on going into this season under him? We do after all only have his previous track record in this division to go by. 

Not saying I think we are in trouble - but just that the reservations (which I think get interpreted as criticism) by some are understandable and definitely not "mental"  

Edited by Nuwtfly