Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

32 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Trouble is, a lot of the players who are available have been pretty mediocre in the Championship.

It was different when we were assessing how good they might be in League One, but why would we anticipate they would improve in the Championship next season with us?

I think we might go for a few of the better young players in League One, plus a couple of better performers from relegated clubs and some premier league loans.

I’ve seen Lawal mentioned and whilst he would be great, I think Celtic want him back.

Aasgard, Randall and Kane would strengthen the midfield, Mark Harris upfront, with Bacuna and Azeez would be good additions.

He turned us down last year for a slightly better wage after we were well down the road on his signing-i.e here's your shirt. That doesn't scream ambition.  He can enjoy Burton again next season.

Burrows a no brainer if we can persuade him for left back. Sibley stepping up well but we have might to defend a lot more next season, not sure that’s his strength although much improved.

Sheehan and brannagan good ball playing options for midfield. Anthony Evans a more attacking player.

Four of the best players in league one, all decent ages and look to have class to play higher.

Mark Harris a good option up front too.

It'll be worth keeping an eye on Reading. Whilst I don't want us to pick the bones exactly, they're up the creek and their paddle has just snapped. Mola (lwb), Savage (DM), Wing (cm) and Smith (st) could all be available for less than market value and would be decent acquisitions to bulk out the weaker parts of the squad.

Just now, FKANorwichExile said:

It'll be worth keeping an eye on Reading. Whilst I don't want us to pick the bones exactly, they're up the creek and their paddle has just snapped. Mola (lwb), Savage (DM), Wing (cm) and Smith (st) could all be available for less than market value and would be decent acquisitions to bulk out the weaker parts of the squad.

Was just having a little nose at the clubs who finished outside the play offs and there’s definitely some options at the likes of Reading, Blackpool, Wigan and co. 
Like you say, don’t want to pick over the bones of a doomed club but if selling players helps keep them going maybe we can get a couple signed. 

21 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He turned us down last year for a slightly better wage after we were well down the road on his signing-i.e here's your shirt. That doesn't scream ambition.  He can enjoy Burton again next season.

TBF more money is some people’s idea of ambition.

Also, at that stage, Oxford’s squad probably looked more competitive than ours. 

Still worth checking to see whether he feels he can play Championship football in front of a big crowd.

13 hours ago, Westcumbrianram said:

Cameron brannigan from Oxford for a CM and Burrows the left back from Peterborough. I would certainly look at Longstaff from Notts county as well. 

Talk about splashing the cash

When you draw out a starting XI, and write down only the names of the players you think are good enough to do a season in the Championship, how many gaps are there? (How many players do we need to sign?)

I get 7, so you're probably looking at needing 8-9 signing in total this summer. Here's how I came to that conclusion using a 3-4-3 formation:

GK: ? (Wildsmith leaving I think)

RWB: Wilson

CB: Nelson

CB: ?

CB: Cashin

LWB: ?

CM: ? (Adams back please)

CM: ? 

RW: Mendez-Laing

ST: ?

LW: ?

Edited by Nuwtfly

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

When you draw out a starting XI, and write down only the names of the players you think are good enough to do a season in the Championship, how many gaps are there? (How many players do we need to sign?)

I get 7, so you're probably looking at needing 8-9 signing in total this summer. Here's how I came to that conclusion using a 3-4-3 formation:

GK: ? (Wildsmith leaving I think)

RWB: Wilson

CB: Nelson

CB: ?

CB: Cashin

LWB: ?

CM: ? (Adams back please)

CM: ? 

RW: Mendez-Laing

ST: ?

LW: ?

Nyambe and Ward would be in contention but not that many more.

I’ll bang the drum for Ethan Erhahon again seeing as Lincoln’s season is over.

Whether he’s affordable or not, I don’t know. But as it stands we’ve really only got Thompson as a CM.

Others that haven’t featured in League One are very unlikely to start featuring now, and as it stands, Bird, Hourihane, Adams & Smith are all not part of next season’s squad.

We’re going to need a couple of midfielders as a minimum, I reckon this guy would step up well.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Was just having a little nose at the clubs who finished outside the play offs and there’s definitely some options at the likes of Reading, Blackpool, Wigan and co. 
Like you say, don’t want to pick over the bones of a doomed club but if selling players helps keep them going maybe we can get a couple signed. 

We need some horrible players but the only one who stands without looking in those sides is Lewis Wing who's performed at this level before.  Best way to look is like for like really.  I think i'd rather give Barkhuizen another year for example than most League 1 wide players.  He'll be better in the championship than League 1 as he has a knack for finding space but we need better strikers to read it and get in position quicker. 

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

TBF more money is some people’s idea of ambition.

Also, at that stage, Oxford’s squad probably looked more competitive than ours. 

Still worth checking to see whether he feels he can play Championship football in front of a big crowd.

It was this one rather than the squad.  He had the chance to play in front of 30k and told us to b*******.  Now he can. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ep2wjzmjsukse12413f

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We need some horrible players but the only one who stands without looking in those sides is Lewis Wing who's performed at this level before.  Best way to look is like for like really.  I think i'd rather give Barkhuizen another year for example than most League 1 wide players.  He'll be better in the championship than League 1 as he has a knack for finding space but we need better strikers to read it and get in position quicker. 

Agree about Barkhuizen, there’s a couple within the current squad who can do a job in the champ, especially as we should play against teams more willing to open up and play a bit leaving us space to exploit.
Him, CBT, NML and ideally a younger, pacier 4th option with Ward and Wilson still around too gives us solid options out wide. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Femi Azeez would be the one from Reading. Believe he's out of contract, too.

He looked good in the away game but their forum were hammering his selection for the Pride Park match.  Don't know.  I'd take Wing for consistency

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Agree about Barkhuizen, there’s a couple within the current squad who can do a job in the champ, especially as we should play against teams more willing to open up and play a bit leaving us space to exploit.
Him, CBT, NML and ideally a younger, pacier 4th option with Ward and Wilson still around too gives us solid options out wide. 

The big question for some players is what role do they want next year? If they're happy being a rotation/bench option then we might see more stay like Sibley, Thompson etc. If they want to start more, they may choose themselves to move.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Femi Azeez would be the one from Reading. Believe he's out of contract, too.

Free agents under 23 would still have a compo fee attached so I guess he'd be worth a bit £400-500k at least.

6 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Free agents under 23 would still have a compo fee attached so I guess he'd be worth a bit £400-500k at least.

20p based on Ebiowei.

Speaking of... can we have him back?

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Nyambe and CBT are slightly redundant if we continue with wing backs. 

Nyambe perfect for one of the wider centre back roles and CBT in the front 2/3 depending on the shape

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

Nyambe perfect for one of the wider centre back roles and CBT in the front 2/3 depending on the shape

I wouldn't put Nyambe anywhere other than RB.

I definitely wouldn't put CBT anywhere other than a Left Winger (front four) or a Left Winger (442). I definitely would not put him central at any point.