Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

There are a hell of a lot of good players available on a free. Free doesn’t necessarily mean old or unwanted, but we obviously know we’ve been limited with who we could attract over the last two years.

Again, other costs come in to it, higher wages & agent fees etc., so a lot of these will be out of our reach. But you could probably piece together an entire squad of 18 that would be realistic options for us, and give us a very strong team of a decent age. And that’s just from one league.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB2

I do worry that going forward we just won’t have the resources to effectively compete in the Champo. Obviously we don’t expect top 6 straight away but the fact is we need to replace a number of players and move on some who are only really L1 level. We have some catching up to do and it’s going to cost.

Clowes has talked of trying to attract new investment and us getting promoted should help with that. But it seems to me that we need someone else to come in and assist money-wise and in truth that is in reality putting in their own money and not looking for a return- just like Lionel Pickering did (why isn’t there a statue of him by the way !!??).

We can be clever with frees etc but the bottom line is that we will have to pay fees for most of the quality players we need.

With our current (and it’s a sensible ) business model of only funding expenditure from direct revenue I just don’t see us having sufficient resources to get those players we need. Time will tell of course….

5 hours ago, Oldben said:

Here are the key reasons why relying heavily on free agents and loans poses risks for a League One club aspiring to play in the Championship:

1. Lack of stability and continuity: Loan players are only temporary additions and may not develop the same commitment and understanding with teammates as permanent signings. 

2. Unsustainable finances: The Championship has nearly £1.4bn worth of debt falling due within 12 months, with debt levels that are unsustainable. Relying on loans and free agents is a short-term solution that can lead to financial troubles.

3. Weaker squad quality: Loan players are often young prospects or fringe players from bigger clubs, while free agents may be available for a reason. Assembling a competitive Championship squad this way is challenging. Free agents are often released by their previous clubs due to injury concerns, disciplinary issues, or a lack of quality. Loan players may not have the experience or ability to make an immediate impact in the Championship.

4. Injury and suspension risk: With a smaller squad, any injuries or suspensions can leave the team short-handed, especially if loan players are recalled early.

5. Difficulty complying with EFL regulations: The EFL has rules around squad sizes and composition that may be difficult to meet with a loan and free agent heavy approach.

6. Relegation risk: Without a strong core of permanent signings, the promoted club is more likely to struggle and get relegated back to League One.

7. Compliance issues: EFL rules around squad composition and size may be harder to meet for a promoted club using many loans and free agents. Penalties could follow.

8. Difficulty integrating new players: With many temporary signings, the team will have less time to develop chemistry and understanding on the pitch. Continuity is key for a newly promoted side.

In summary, while loans and free agents can supplement a squad, a newly promoted Championship club needs a solid foundation of permanent signings to have the best chance of survival and establishing itself in the division. Relying too heavily on temporary solutions is a high-risk strategy.

Some interesting points but Paul Warne will only recruit “good” people who will fit in the squad. Admittedly we have had a few problems with injuries (Embleton & JJ) but Adams is the supreme loan who more tha counterbalances the negatives.

For me it’s about being creative with our finances + some better loans save the money for two  quality players.

personally this is what I’d do

GK - renew wildsmith + add a young lad as third choice 

RB - fine 

CB - fine 

LB - maybe keep sibley + go after burrows at boro

CM- release- hourihane, maybe smith pay as you play , sign Adams and maybe loan player + herbie Kane on a free or Brannagan ( bird replacement)

W- release barks - maybe get dembele on loan from Celtic or another prem loan 

SK - release all out of contract bar Collins , maybe a cheaper competition like Alfie May / Cole on a free or try to sign Langstaff or a lower league player with potential.

One low cost option for the striking positions I wouldn’t mind seeing us go for is Will Evans at Newport. Contract is expiring, 26 years old, scored 21 goals in 46 league two games this season (25 goals in all competitions). Question marks over his overall pedigree having played in the welsh league before signing for Newport so could be a one season wonder, but looks a decent cheaper option. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

13 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

For me it’s about being creative with our finances + some better loans save the money for two  quality players.

RB - fine 

CB - fine 

CM- release- hourihane, maybe smith pay as you play , sign Adams and maybe loan player + herbie Kane on a free or Brannagan ( bird replacement)

SK - release all out of contract bar Collins , maybe a cheaper competition like Alfie May / Cole on a free or try to sign Langstaff or a lower league player with potential.

In what world would Smith accept a pay as you play? Or would Alfie May come cheaply?

Some in this thread are on a different planet, I swear.

13 hours ago, Srg said:

Seen Tom Bayliss confirmed being released by Shrewsbury. Would definitely give that a look for midfield. Bonus he’s a Derby fan. 

I saw that myself and read the replies on Twitter as I was surprised. Didn’t seem too many (any) Shrewsbury fans upset at him leaving but had it in my head he was a decent player. Just didn’t seem a ringing endorsement.

Squad for 24/25 

GK - Wildsmith, Vickers, Young 3rd choice

RB - Wilson, Ward, Nyambe 

CB - Cash, Nels, Bradley, Rooney, New 

LB - Sibley, New 

CM - Adams, Tommo, Smith, New X3

Wingers/10 - NML, CBT, Barks, New 

Striker - New X3, Collins 

10 new signings in total.

Release/Sell - Loach, Elder, Fozzy(legend), Hourihane, Fornah, Gayle, Waghorn, Washington

Get Robinson, Bartley and Brown out on loan. 

Also be very surprised if we don’t bid for Michael Helik, seems like a Paul Warne wet dream a centre back who plays in a three and has scored 9 goals this season. Has 1 year left on his contract with hudds going down. Could be one we get or certainly try to get.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

There are a hell of a lot of good players available on a free. Free doesn’t necessarily mean old or unwanted, but we obviously know we’ve been limited with who we could attract over the last two years.

Again, other costs come in to it, higher wages & agent fees etc., so a lot of these will be out of our reach. But you could probably piece together an entire squad of 18 that would be realistic options for us, and give us a very strong team of a decent age. And that’s just from one league.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB2

Trawling through Transfermarkt has been my favourite past-time for the last few weeks!

I know it's only been 2 days but I'm impatient already... Judging by past performance, I assume Derby's recruitment team have players lined up already, but we'll be waiting for promotions, relegations, play-offs, retention lists, and the slow grind of hundreds of negotiations before the deals start rolling in.

Free Transfer Squad
GK - Christian Walton/Cameron Dawson
LB - Harrison Burrows/Max Lowe
RB - Ben Johnson/Jayden Bogle
CB - Josh Knight/Axel Tuanzebe/Paddy McNair (Nathaniel Phillips contracted until 2025 but could be got for nothing from Liverpool, I reckon)
DM - Nathaniel Chalobah/Dominic Ball/Joe Morrell/Bosun Lawal (loan)
CM/AM - Callum O'Hare/Gary Gardner/Stuart Armstrong/Herbie Kane/Josh Windass
W - Tyrhys Dolan/Chris Willock
FW - Jonson C-H/Daniel Jebbison/Devante Cole/Oli McBurnie/Danny Welbeck

I'm also slightly obsessed by Josh Onomah not signing for anyone.....since last July....why?

@Gabby'sThighs One player I’d quite like that hasn’t made your freebie squad is Sam Gallagher from Blackburn.

He’s not scored too many in the last couple of seasons, but he’s a good player and I think his attributes would suit this team well. A big striker who is mobile enough to also go out wide, he’d be dangerous from the crosses we put in.

34 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Trawling through Transfermarkt has been my favourite past-time for the last few weeks!

I know it's only been 2 days but I'm impatient already... Judging by past performance, I assume Derby's recruitment team have players lined up already, but we'll be waiting for promotions, relegations, play-offs, retention lists, and the slow grind of hundreds of negotiations before the deals start rolling in.

Free Transfer Squad
CB - Josh Knight/Axel Tuanzebe/Paddy McNair (Nathaniel Phillips contracted until 2025 but could be got for nothing from Liverpool, I reckon)

I'm also slightly obsessed by Josh Onomah not signing for anyone.....since last July....why?

Sheff Utd seem to have a lot out of contract, look to be in a bit of a mess

bogle, Lowe and jebbison all be good championship players for them

43 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Free Transfer Squad

Trouble is, a lot of the players who are available have been pretty mediocre in the Championship.

It was different when we were assessing how good they might be in League One, but why would we anticipate they would improve in the Championship next season with us?

I think we might go for a few of the better young players in League One, plus a couple of better performers from relegated clubs and some premier league loans.

I’ve seen Lawal mentioned and whilst he would be great, I think Celtic want him back.

Aasgard, Randall and Kane would strengthen the midfield, Mark Harris upfront, with Bacuna and Azeez would be good additions.

5 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

RB - fine 

CB - fine 

Not too creative though eh Mel? 😉

5 hours ago, Westcumbrianram said:

A quick look on free transfer for 2024 and a cartaon Max Lowe is available or Norrington Davies for the same position, both play LWB. 

I would prefer the 2 we have, Sibs and Elder, despite the latter's penchant for being unavailable. 

50 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Sheff Utd seem to have a lot out of contract, look to be in a bit of a mess

bogle, Lowe and jebbison all be good championship players for them

I'm always wary of signing players from a club that have taken a thumping like they have this season.  It normally takes them at least a season to address the fact their perhaps not as crap on an individual level as the whole suggests.