Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

I think Collo will play a role for us next season. We all know what he can give us. We will need strength in depth up top, as we utilise both a 343 and a 352 next season.

I'd sadly let Waggy and Wash go and go all out for a championship quality number 9. 

3 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

He’s simply not the standard of player Derby County should be keeping hold of this summer! 

It’s a great opportunity this window to lower the age profile of the squad as we have a large amount of “senior” players in their last year. Let’s build something that will take us up the championship and not hand out contracts to older players because they made it over the line. 

A Championship offence with Collins and Washington won’t stay in the championship for long that’s for sure! 

Fair enough, don’t agree with that if we sign a couple of other options and they form part of a squad. I struggle with the realism of recruiting 4 or 5 new strikers in the summer all of whom may be expecting to come in as top dog, I think it’s logical to have some continuity of sorts in some areas and then use the available resources to secure whoever the “top” targets are. 

I know it’s sentiment driven and his wages currently would be mental, but anyone think there’s a slither of hope of a return of Mr Will Hughes? On paper it’s not gonna happen, but watching bird yesterday, we need a technician around the athleticism to unlock things and bird would have been perfect in the champ and sorely missed. He was feisty and a trier and is it too ambitious to hope he’d want a homecoming with charitably low wages?

20 minutes ago, Red_ram said:

I know it’s sentiment driven and his wages currently would be mental, but anyone think there’s a slither of hope of a return of Mr Will Hughes? On paper it’s not gonna happen, but watching bird yesterday, we need a technician around the athleticism to unlock things and bird would have been perfect in the champ and sorely missed. He was feisty and a trier and is it too ambitious to hope he’d want a homecoming with charitably low wages?

Playing every week for Palace under their new manager 

36 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

He’s simply not the standard of player Derby County should be keeping hold of this summer! 

It’s a great opportunity this window to lower the age profile of the squad as we have a large amount of “senior” players in their last year. Let’s build something that will take us up the championship and not hand out contracts to older players because they made it over the line. 

A Championship offence with Collins and Washington won’t stay in the championship for long that’s for sure! 

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. I think you are polarising Rather than reading intent and understanding reasoning. @Comrade 86 and @Caerphilly Ram and me are saying they have something to offer. They might not be first choice but you need a squad and money isn’t limitless.  From my point of view we will need more quality and youth up front but with finances being an integral part of the game it might make very good sense to have Collo and / or  Wash on the bench and as back ups when the usual injury issues crop up as we know only too well this season. 

9 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

What do people think regards to TJJ? 

If….big IF…we could get him on some sort of low wage, pay as you play type deal once he leaves Arsenal, with no or low compensation, and we’ve got other options up top I’d be happy to see the club take a chance on him. There’s talent there, if we can get his body to function we’d have a good young player in the squad…. But it’s a risk

9 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

I don't think his body will ever deal with the rigours of football at this level. Can't think of too many players with so many injuries so young who have gone on to relatively injury free careers

31 minutes ago, Red_ram said:

I don’t think so but I love your dreams. If he did it would be a wonderful day when he set foot on the pitch again. I remember way back a cup game against Leicester. I got a ticket for my fox brother. We had a beer at half time and he said “who the HELL is that lad ?” Will had been showboating, did one of those FiFA twirly 360 things in the middle of the park. He was on fire, you could see the joy. We need a maestro 

And Fornah ? I think he’s got something; but injuries and team balance haven’t seen him given much chance to show it. 

There are troops we haven’t seen the best of. That fleeting glimpse of CBT powering through the middle away from home ? There’s a championship player there. Just making it come out often enough.  That’s the trick 

Here are the key reasons why relying heavily on free agents and loans poses risks for a League One club aspiring to play in the Championship:

1. Lack of stability and continuity: Loan players are only temporary additions and may not develop the same commitment and understanding with teammates as permanent signings. 

2. Unsustainable finances: The Championship has nearly £1.4bn worth of debt falling due within 12 months, with debt levels that are unsustainable. Relying on loans and free agents is a short-term solution that can lead to financial troubles.

3. Weaker squad quality: Loan players are often young prospects or fringe players from bigger clubs, while free agents may be available for a reason. Assembling a competitive Championship squad this way is challenging. Free agents are often released by their previous clubs due to injury concerns, disciplinary issues, or a lack of quality. Loan players may not have the experience or ability to make an immediate impact in the Championship.

4. Injury and suspension risk: With a smaller squad, any injuries or suspensions can leave the team short-handed, especially if loan players are recalled early.

5. Difficulty complying with EFL regulations: The EFL has rules around squad sizes and composition that may be difficult to meet with a loan and free agent heavy approach.

6. Relegation risk: Without a strong core of permanent signings, the promoted club is more likely to struggle and get relegated back to League One.

7. Compliance issues: EFL rules around squad composition and size may be harder to meet for a promoted club using many loans and free agents. Penalties could follow.

8. Difficulty integrating new players: With many temporary signings, the team will have less time to develop chemistry and understanding on the pitch. Continuity is key for a newly promoted side.

In summary, while loans and free agents can supplement a squad, a newly promoted Championship club needs a solid foundation of permanent signings to have the best chance of survival and establishing itself in the division. Relying too heavily on temporary solutions is a high-risk strategy.

Sibley and Barkhuizen have proven attributes at this level. If Forsyth was solely a left back I'd say no, but as a back up centre back I'd be tempted to give him one more year.  I have a lot of respect for the likes of Collins and Smith, but if they're still at the club in August I hope it's as fourth choice options. They probably deserve to be playing regularly at a league 1 club really. 

12 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

I was really hoping he'd have a decent season then sign for us on a free in the summer. If we sign him now it could only really be with a financial arrangement that is heavily linked to appearances/goals. 

4 hours ago, Oldben said:

Here are the key reasons why relying heavily on free agents and loans poses risks for a League One club aspiring to play in the Championship:

1. Lack of stability and continuity: Loan players are only temporary additions and may not develop the same commitment and understanding with teammates as permanent signings. 

2. Unsustainable finances: The Championship has nearly £1.4bn worth of debt falling due within 12 months, with debt levels that are unsustainable. Relying on loans and free agents is a short-term solution that can lead to financial troubles.

3. Weaker squad quality: Loan players are often young prospects or fringe players from bigger clubs, while free agents may be available for a reason. Assembling a competitive Championship squad this way is challenging. Free agents are often released by their previous clubs due to injury concerns, disciplinary issues, or a lack of quality. Loan players may not have the experience or ability to make an immediate impact in the Championship.

4. Injury and suspension risk: With a smaller squad, any injuries or suspensions can leave the team short-handed, especially if loan players are recalled early.

5. Difficulty complying with EFL regulations: The EFL has rules around squad sizes and composition that may be difficult to meet with a loan and free agent heavy approach.

6. Relegation risk: Without a strong core of permanent signings, the promoted club is more likely to struggle and get relegated back to League One.

7. Compliance issues: EFL rules around squad composition and size may be harder to meet for a promoted club using many loans and free agents. Penalties could follow.

8. Difficulty integrating new players: With many temporary signings, the team will have less time to develop chemistry and understanding on the pitch. Continuity is key for a newly promoted side.

In summary, while loans and free agents can supplement a squad, a newly promoted Championship club needs a solid foundation of permanent signings to have the best chance of survival and establishing itself in the division. Relying too heavily on temporary solutions is a high-risk strategy.

Can tell this is a chat gpt effort; spoken by a computer without football fan context.

frees aren’t the barrel scrapings they once were since covid made the financial bubble burst in the EFL, as we’ve seen. And loans, done well, can make the difference at an affordable rate (hello ebou Adams). Just can’t be too solely reliant else you end up like a forest team rebuilding scenario.

4 hours ago, Oldben said:

Quality free agents signed to contracts with a sensible length aren’t “temporary solutions”. Nelson and Nyambe are good examples from the current season. There are plenty of free agent options available every season and they don’t all fit the negative criteria mentioned in point 3, some are ready for a new challenge, some are ready to step up a league, some may not have fit a certain manager’s approach but would suit another’s. 
There is a long list of loan players who have supplemented championship squads and played a huge part in their team’s success. Wherever you’re digging up these articles they only tell one side of the story. 
We won’t have the resources to spend fees on the 7-10 new players required, some of them more than likely need to be free agents and loans, that’s just the reality of our situation.