Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Ahead of his move to Bristol City, I thought it would be interesting to note that Bird has not played in 10 games this season and we’ve won 8, drawn 1 (Portsmouth) and lost 1 (Bolton). 

A coincidence? Who was Bird partnered with in midfield, which forwards could he link with, etc...?

Bird and Waghorn have only started a single game together all season (a win)
He then only had 2 games with Gayle, losing the first (Gayle's first start since November) and winning the 2nd.
He also only had 7 games with Adams as a midfield partner. We lost 2 of those games but didn't have a CF in one of them, and the other was Gayle's first start

13 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Ahead of his move to Bristol City, I thought it would be interesting to note that Bird has not played in 10 games this season and we’ve won 8, drawn 1 (Portsmouth) and lost 1 (Bolton). 

While this is an interesting statistic, I think its important to look at who partnered him in midfield like @Ghost of Clough said. 

I've always thought that we're at our best when only 1 of Hourihane or Bird are playing, not both. At least his transfer has sort of forced Warne's hand from next season.

Having had a look at CH this season, we have won 5; drawn 3; and only lost to Charlton when Hourihane hasn't played or only played a 20 minutes or so. So again we have a winning record when CH hasn't played (or played very little).

Edited by Chesterfield_Ram

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A coincidence? Who was Bird partnered with in midfield, which forwards could he link with, etc...?

Bird and Waghorn have only started a single game together all season (a win)
He then only had 2 games with Gayle, losing the first (Gayle's first start since November) and winning the 2nd.
He also only had 7 games with Adams as a midfield partner. We lost 2 of those games but didn't have a CF in one of them, and the other was Gayle's first start

I'd say a coincidence, but I'm just playing devil's advocate. 

As technically good of a player as Bird is, I do wonder how much he moves the needle (so to speak) in terms of our performances. In terms of impact on our team, performances, etc. 

If you offered me Bird to play in all seven remaining games, but it meant we had Adams in three of the remaining seven OR you said Bird wouldn't play in any of the remaining seven games but we could ensure the latter available then I'd 100% take the second option as I imagine 90% of supporters would. 

• 1 month later...

Funny thing, sometimes you don’t appreciate someone until they go. I remember many posts on this forum suggesting he was useless - maybe he just felt ready for a change.

Love the fact that Cashin went over to him when he was subbed near the end as they both came through the Academy and have probably known each other since they were kids

That’s how you sign of Birdy 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Well played young un, we all know you didn’t want to leave. All the best, we are gonna beat you and Knighty next season, just so you know 🐏🐏

Once a Ram always a Ram 👏🏻👍🏻🐏

Edited by Ted McMinn Football Genius

On 19/03/2024 at 13:38, Chesterfield_Ram said:

While this is an interesting statistic, I think its important to look at who partnered him in midfield like @Ghost of Clough said. 

I've always thought that we're at our best when only 1 of Hourihane or Bird are playing, not both. At least his transfer has sort of forced Warne's hand from next season.

Having had a look at CH this season, we have won 5; drawn 3; and only lost to Charlton when Hourihane hasn't played or only played a 20 minutes or so. So again we have a winning record when CH hasn't played (or played very little).

Somewhat doubt Hourihane will be here next season either.