Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

4 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

9.45 pm / 10.20pm 

Announced the signing of midfielder Max Bird for an undisclosed fee. Bird will return to Pride Park for the remainder of the League one season.

10.30pm - Derby County have announced the signing of Nakhi Wells on a season long loan 

10.40- room for 1 more 👀 

10.45 - Derby County announce the loan signing of Lee Gregory

IMG_0945.jpeg

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Those making observations about Warne’s style of football and Bird could well be right, maybe he’ll tell us all in a book one day.

A thought that’s occurred to me is maybe he’s just decided it’s time to move on in the summer. He’s been at the club for years, and a lot of those years have been turbulent times, he stood by the club when others walked away or forced their way out, maybe he’s just ready for something else but wants to help towards promotion before he goes.  

I’m loathed to say anything as my lad has told me a few things he’s heard Max say, more so Sibbo. The pair of them were very proud to come through our academy, they are professionals and want the best career’s possible. One day many might hear a story, a younger Max wasn’t that complimentary about Cocu at one point “allegedly” I’ve heard, but he’s always sought to improve his game and why shouldn’t he want new challenges, maybe better money etc.

Some comments are so savage, like we’re entitled to own careers or gain promotions. The same kind of comments that wrote off Morgan Whittaker and said good riddance etc; yet it was clear he was still developing and now look. Just maybe Max needs to move to develop his game more too; after all plenty day he’s not suited to Warne’s style, similar to Hourihane, can’t play together you name it.

Why can’t people be happy we’ve developed a young lads career, enjoy what he gave and wish him well; more so if we made what the club feel is decent money!

I would say that beyond a doubt that Nahki Wells would score a boatload in this Derby team in League One. You only have to see what the likes of Jordan Rhodes, Chris Martin and other aging Championship players are doing to know that Wells would make easy work of this division. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

I would say that beyond a doubt that Nahki Wells would score a boatload in this Derby team in League One. You only have to see what the likes of Jordan Rhodes, Chris Martin and other aging Championship players are doing to know that Wells would make easy work of this division. 

Unless he's grown by a foot and can get on the end of crosses he stands no chance in our team

24 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Most of the fans? Based on what exactly?

Tell me 1 fan that enjoys Warnes brand of football...after virtually every game, we have come away saying, "we got away with that"..or, "we won but the football was dire"

7 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Why can’t people be happy we’ve developed a young lads career, enjoy what he gave and wish him well

Because we should be keeping our best players.

And part of doing that is creating a playing environment where they want to be.

(I quoted you but my comment isn't aimed at you but all those who seem to be happy to see Bird go)

2 minutes ago, valakari said:

Tell me 1 fan that enjoys Warnes brand of football...after virtually every game, we have come away saying, "we got away with that"..or, "we won but the football was dire"

I want us to win and get out the division, I don't care how. 

On occasion, we may have 'got away with it' but that's a lot less than the amount of times we have done what we had to to get the result. 

I don't think Warne wants us to resort to playing the way we have to sometimes and you can see his frustration when we don't play the way he wants but I don't think they are capable of sustainable the high energy game he wants.

He's had to build an entirely different squad of players to play the way he wants and that gonna take more than the amount of windows he has had with the restrictions we have had. 

Young, hungry, energetic players are costly so he's had to sacrifice some of his ethos to just get players that can do part of what he wants

If he gets us out of the division, and is able to bring in the players that suit him he'll keep us up I'm sure.... As for the next step after that who knows but I have confidence that he has the knowledge how to get us out of the division and for now.... That's all we need.... We have one aim, I genuinely don't care how we get there 

6 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

(I quoted you but my comment isn't aimed at you but all those who seem to be happy to see Bird go)

How? We are a league one side, with a moderate budget, a playing environment has very little to do with it for footballers nowadays sadly. 

I'd love us to keep our best players but for any side in League one, selling your youth talent for money is what keeps you going, just ask Peterborough. 

At this point, that's all we are and all we can be.

29 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

9.45 pm / 10.20pm 

Announced the signing of midfielder Max Bird for an undisclosed fee. Bird will return to Pride Park for the remainder of the League one season.

10.30pm - Derby County have announced the signing of Nakhi Wells on a season long loan 

10.40- room for 1 more 👀 

10.45 - Derby County announce the loan signing of Lee Gregory

I'll gladly come back and apologise when this all goes through, but you are about to out yourself as the false prophet I've suspected you are...

I'm struggling to see the benefit of this move if we don't get a pot of cash to spend now - there's still time to bring someone in I guess.

But we'd get compensation if we left it to the end of the season anyway.

And Max would have a wider range of options.

Just as I was disappointed for Jason Knight that he couldn't attract better interest than Bristol City, same with Max Bird, who not long ago was being linked with Chelsea. If he's going to leave, I'd rather see him play at a higher level than a team who might only be as good as us next season.

Equally, maybe he was waiting for more/better offers in the summer but we've forced his hand because we need the money now we know he won't be staying.  

But I'm not really sure about the loan back. He hasn't been that important a player for us this season given the way we play, and if he won't be here next season I'd rather see us giving more game time to Sibley, Thompson, Adams and Fornah. 

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

The vitriol from some quarters is laughable, He was offered terms and chose to exercise his right and refuse those terms, Bristol have come in and offered...more money and to play in a higher division.

Those moaning should take their copy of football manager home and storm upstairs and sulk under the quilt 🙄

FTFM

29 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Ok, for clarity, I’m not happy to see him go, if you read that comment 😉 

The dreamer in me would’ve liked to have seen him, Cashin, Sibley, even Knighty and Whittaker in a squad challenging for championship promotion; just like I had dreams of seeing Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson maybe others in a premiership team 🙂

I've been one of Max's critics this season, (but I've been spoiled watching the early 70's team).

Has anyone considered, that as well as almost guaranteed Championship football next season at Bristol City, a young bloke might actually fancy living in a hippy city like Bristol? Lets be honest, leaving the football history aside, as a place to live, Derby or Bristol, I know which I'd chose and it isn't Derby.