Charlton Athletic v Derby - Match Day Thread

This always looked like a massive trip hazard, so to grind out a win and keep a clean sheet should be a huge boost to Warne and the lads, especially given the results around us.

The line up looked questionable, so credit to Warne after a job well done. It was also great to see some of Warne’s signings being involved in a crucial win after the recruitment came under fire. Hopefully there’s more to come from Bradley, Ward, Adams and Vickers.

I was buzzing until my father-in-law took the celebratory drinks too far, ordered a £30 glass of whiskey, and didn’t flinch as I paid the bill. 😆

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

If you're in bath that's low-rent mate.

If there's a more pretentious place in Britain I haven't found it yet. 

Well, possibly tetbury.....

It’s a gorgeous place, but absolutely it’s not a place for every budget.

The hot chocolate was delicious and we won, so all’s well. 😁

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

This always looked like a massive trip hazard, so to grind out a win and keep a clean sheet should be a huge boost to Warne and the lads, especially given the results around us.

The line up looked questionable, so credit to Warne after a job well done. It was also great to see some of Warne’s signings being involved in a crucial win after the recruitment came under fire. Hopefully there’s more to come from Bradley, Ward, Adams and Vickers.

I was buzzing until my father-in-law took the celebratory drinks too far, ordered a £30 glass of whiskey, and didn’t flinch as I paid the bill. 😆

We can now scotch the rumours that you are a tight wad. 😉

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Uplifting - especially after our recent performances and surely a big tonic for those who thought the transfer window was disastrous. Adams could transform us. Maybe this is Bradley’s turning point. 3 at the back can be strong so long as the rest are doing the right things at the right time. (It’s not all about formation.) Ward (where has he been?) was good and so good to see Sibley look like a footballer after a disappointing spell. Well done Warne for taking NML off. Still not convinced we’ve got the right starting 11 or that we change things when we should ; but this is a squad that should win promotion and after today I think they’ll believe it

But it’s a poignant moment: with Bird’s news it seems like the end of an era. His ball into NML said it all. Can only hope that Bristol suffer a massive financial crisis leading to insolvency before the season’s end 

Bristol City have lost £412,000 a week for the last ten years, how much worse can it get.

11 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

There are one or two wondering how Charlton are in 19th place with the squad they have, and the strikers they have. So massive credit to our midfield and defenders for limiting them to so few openings and almost nil shots on goal. Brilliant.

Cos they're sh*te. Hope this clears it up for people.

It's another good result at a venue where we very rarely do well.

Didn't follow the game today other than catching up comments on here, so not able to say whether good, bad or indifferent.

Interesting to hear views of the new midfielder and sounds like there's some promise there.

23 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

There are one or two wondering how Charlton are in 19th place with the squad they have, and the strikers they have. So massive credit to our midfield and defenders for limiting them to so few openings and almost nil shots on goal. Brilliant.

There's one or two on here wondering why we're only second with the squad we have.

13 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Cos they're sh*te. Hope this clears it up for people.

tbf, we've just nabbed their most dangerous player off them for a measly fee and then not even bothered to play him against them, and they've just signed a load of players seemingly at random who'll need (apparently) a few months to settle, signings not even chosen by the manager who's had about a day to come in and analyse the whole mess, all while on a 13 game winless run, so they've got a fair few excuses for being a bit s***.

It does always amaze me how much people big up other teams squads while making out ours is average.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

On 28/01/2024 at 11:57, FlyBritishMidland said:

For 60 minutes it looked like they were still in Reading!!  One of the games where you’re glad you’ve got the 3 points but know you’ve got away with one.  But, there are no bonus points for playing well.  That said, we do need to start doing the basics better.  Too many times in the last couple of games passing the ball more than 5 yards seems to be the most difficult thing in the world.  And the players have to bear their share of the blame and that really is basic.

They do seem to have character though.  After Tuesday, to behind at home in what was, at times, a pretty nasty atmosphere takes guts.

Booing - never understood it, never will.  I think that if I had people following me around at work and they booed me at lunch, would it motivate me for the afternoon.  No.  Footballers are no different.

On 28/01/2024 at 20:58, Inverurie Ram said:

Totally agree with the need to be doing the basics better. We have seen the players in other games, when they have done the basics well, then the passing, and creating, and better tempo follows and we see better individual and in turn better team performances.

That process works in the stadium also from the fans, they are part of the process, they require also to achieve their basics, be passionate, sing, keep songs going as long as possible, be loud and proud with the singing, keep the opposing fans quiet, be creative, the better tempo follows, and we see and enjoy all together, better individual and in turn better performances from the crowd, the supporters of the players, the club, that they want and crave to do well.

We Are Derby and are all part of the process, and when we work together successfully as a team, in turn we all produce quality, and desired results are achieved.

@FlyBritishMidland

As PW said today “Our basics were really good. Our basics we’re bang on the money” “We’re here to entertain the kind Rams that have turned up” 

“If you care about what you do…..”

”Fans impressive, please stay with the team, be positive”…….
—————————————

Our fans got right behind our team today, they cared and they were part of the process, they achieved their basics, they were passionate, they sung, they kept songs going as long as possible, were loud and proud with the singing, kept the opposing fans quiet, the better tempo followed, and we saw and enjoyed together, better individual and in turn a better performance from the crowd, from the players, from the club, let’s keep it going, creating more good performances and good results.

Up The Rams 🐏

29 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The fans on their forum don’t seem to be in much doubt. Some think they’re squarely in a relegation battle. They don’t seem to rate Ladapo either!

2 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

@FlyBritishMidland

As PW said today “Our basics were really good. Our basics we’re bang on the money” “We’re here to entertain the kind Rams that have turned up” 

“If you care about what you do…..”

”Fans impressive, please stay with the team, be positive”…….
—————————————

Our fans got right behind our team today, they cared and they were part of the process, they achieved their basics, they were passionate, they sung, they kept songs going as long as possible, were loud and proud with the singing, kept the opposing fans quiet, the better tempo followed, and we saw and enjoyed together, better individual and in turn a better performance from the crowd, from the players, from the club, let’s keep it going, creating more good performances and good results.

Up The Rams 🐏

He's right of course but one follows the other. If what we see on the pitch is chaotic, half-arsed rubbish then the support will be half-arsed rubbish. When we see commitment and competence then it will be supported in kind. But chicken and egg. Today was better, if we keep getting better we'll be fine.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

Ground it out well today, thought ward and Bradley had their best games for us. Didn’t hate 5 at the back for a change either. Bird had a good game as well.

hourihane had a shocker and Thompson when he came on. Certainly some good grit and fight about the team though.

back it up with a home win next week now.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think we'll see a transition towards 343/3421. It's the only real way you get Blackett-Taylor, Mendez-Laing and one of Ward/Wilson in the side together.

That would mean a back 3 of Nyambe, Nelson and Cashin backed up by Rooney (next season), Bradley and Forsyth. Ward, Wilson, Elder and Sibley our wing backs.

If we make Adams permanent (which I expect will be the plan), Hourihane to leave at the end of his contract, and Bird's loan to end... Adams will be partnered with another new signing next season (for now it would be Bird). Thompson and another will be backups.

We would also need 2 new wingers to compete with Blackett-Taylor and Mendez-Laing, as well as a couple new forwards (expect a new deal for Collins).

When we signed Fornah, I saw nothing in his stats to set him apart from Smith. It's no surprise to me it isn't quite working as Warne had hoped.

However, when I looked at Adams' he was averaging close to double Fornah's defensive output, albeit mostly at a lower level and having not played much for a couple of years. I just knew he would make a difference. Then his interview... with an infectious personality like his, he's it just adds to the certainty of him being a good signing.

Re; Adams. 

I was at Molineux when Bob Malcolm left a similar impression on many fans. One swallow doesn’t make a summer etc etc.