Charlton Athletic v Derby - Match Day Thread

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

Any views on how we were so overrun for that 20 min spell after halftime? (They really should have equalised with one chance in particular but otherwise the defence stood up but we couldn’t keep possession). How could we sort that?

We cant. And they didnt score in that spell - we saw them off. I am sorry but I dont really get what you are asking. Other teams will always up their games at points during a game and look more of a threat. We need to keep strong in those moments and we did. Unless you expect every other team to just give us promotion? 

1 minute ago, CBRammette said:

We cant. And they didnt score in that spell - we saw them off. I am sorry but I dont really get what you are asking. Other teams will always up their games at points during a game and look more of a threat. We need to keep strong in those moments and we did. Unless you expect every other team to just give us promotion? 

No expectation of teams giving us promotion at all. I’m asking if they just put more effort in or did they change tactically that gave us problems. That’s all. No agenda, just curious why we really struggled to keep any sort of possession for 20 mins. If it was “just their spell”, that’s fine 

Just now, HorsforthRam said:

No expectation of teams giving us promotion at all. I’m asking if they just put more effort in or did they change tactically that gave us problems. That’s all. No agenda, just curious why we really struggled to keep any sort of possession for 20 mins. If it was “just their spell”, that’s fine 

It happens all the time.  Team goes in a goal down at half-time, manager issues a rollicking, they come out fired up for the first 15mins or so of the 2nd half.

1 minute ago, HorsforthRam said:

To improve as a team we need to keep cooler under pressure and stop just clearing up field. It only gives away possession and the next wave starts. That's my view of how to stop the 20min onslaught. 

2 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Any views on how we were so overrun for that 20 min spell after halftime? (They really should have equalised with one chance in particular but otherwise the defence stood up but we couldn’t keep possession). How could we sort that?

We will sort it because of the great support DCFC get which will allow us to invest in better quality players going forward which will result in being overrun for less than 20 mins in the future. Hope this helps.

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

To improve as a team we need to keep cooler under pressure and stop just clearing up field. It only gives away possession and the next wave starts. That's my view of how to stop the 20min onslaught. 

I felt there was definitely a sense of desperation on clearing the ball at times or flicking it on etc when the player had time to bring the ball down and look up. 

4 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Think it's just that they came out all guns blazing mate, though I have noticed we have a tendency to be a little sleepy after the HT break. Think it's more a case of being able to weather the storm as home teams will always have passages of play where they put us under pressure. Others will see it differently, but I thought on the whole, we controlled things quite nicely. A second goal would have been nice but we earned our clean sheet and were the better side on balance.

5 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I felt there was definitely a sense of desperation on clearing the ball at times or flicking it on etc when the player had time to bring the ball down and look up. 

I know what you are saying.

One thing you can rarely complain about is lack of effort- we defended heroically at times.

Because we don’t play much possession based football it seems hard for us to take the sting out of the game and we resort to aimless clearances followed by even more heroic defending.

And if we can’t string 2 passes together we should resort to some dark arts to stop momentum against us…..we’re too nice.

55 mins was the time for Vickers to go down with that horrendous injury!

32 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I know what you are saying.

One thing you can rarely complain about is lack of effort- we defended heroically at times.

Because we don’t play much possession based football it seems hard for us to take the sting out of the game and we resort to aimless clearances followed by even more heroic defending.

And if we can’t string 2 passes together we should resort to some dark arts to stop momentum against us…..we’re too nice.

55 mins was the time for Vickers to go down with that horrendous injury!

The trouble is that refs book Derby players at the first opportunity. It is only our opponents who can get away with the dark arts over and over again. What was the card score yesterday? I am sure we beat Charlton on yellow cards as well as goals, yesterday.

49 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Agree with this. I was frustrated by our inability to slow the tempo of the match down & way we were surrendering possession when they had the ascendancy. Couple of times late on Collins got the ball from a break & tried to flick it on rather than holding it, looking for an easy sideways ball & enabling the team to move up the field. Earlier on in the match, there were a fair amount of 'aerial hooks' to no-one in particular (Hourihane particularly guilty of this) which enabled them to receive possession easily & come back at us.

The team obviously deserve credit for defending with real purpose (especially late on) but the point is it maybe didnt have to be so dramatic if we'd controlled the ball better.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

51 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The trouble is that refs book Derby players at the first opportunity. It is only our opponents who can get away with the dark arts over and over again. What was the card score yesterday? I am sure we beat Charlton on yellow cards as well as goals, yesterday.

They got 2 bookings to our 5, the most stupid booking (by the Ref) was Sibley's, he had to wait to take the throwing when the ref allowed Charlton to make substitutions, then SECONDS later booked him for time wasting ? The Stats for fouls in the match, was 15 by Charlton and 12 by Derby. I know that good and bad decisions by refs normally end up being 50/50 but not what I've seen in this League one.

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Other than the one that I have already given you mean.

Not sure that said poster is well renowned for ITK info to be fair.

I assume you’re referring to your comment that: ‘he had a couple of poor performances and was dropped’. Fact is, he made one horrendous error resulting in a pen. Not a reason to drop your better keeper. W is a PL level keeper. V is decent and solid for this div. But there is not a single aspect of V’s game that reaches W’s standard. If you don’t agree, maybe seek out GoC’s stats on the topic.  If Warne doesn’t see it, I’m worried. But I’d guess he does see it and that there is a reason for this that’s unrelated to performance in matches. Sorry to go on but watching V deciding whether or not to ‘come’ stresses me out. 

Edited by kevinhectoring

4 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

They brought on another Striker at HT and Alfie May dropped into the 10 position and floated about and caused us problems but even though it looked like it would lead to a goal May then started drifting out wide and playing deeper at times  like a CM which I thought was odd but that first 20 in the second half they could’ve scored two to be honest 

I thought every single player without exception put there bodies in front of everything yesterday and was a proper team performance 

5 hours ago, angieram said:

It's here.

Screenshot_20240204_125936_Instagram.jpg

The fact it wasn't even a yellow is disgusting (I cant remeber if a foul was given or not). Sibley also taken out just past halfway when breaking forward also went unpunished. Yet, Sibley taking 2 seconds to throw the ball in play after a Charlton sub was the worst offence of the three incidents.

2 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

That’s a view. Not sure what we did differently that’s all. Maybe they went for it in that spell and “gassed out” 🤷🏽‍♂️

Adams was gassed out. We put Tommo on and dropped Bird deeper. We were in control again after that. 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Agree with this. I was frustrated by our inability to slow the tempo of the match down & way we were surrendering possession when they had the ascendancy. Couple of times late on Collins got the ball from a break & tried to flick it on rather than holding it, looking for an easy sideways ball & enabling the team to move up the field. Earlier on in the match, there were a fair amount of 'aerial hooks' to no-one in particular (Hourihane particularly guilty of this) which enabled them to receive possession easily & come back at us.

The team obviously deserve credit for defending with real purpose (especially late on) but the point is it maybe didnt have to be so dramatic if we'd controlled the ball better.

Totally agree. We play an Alamo style…everyone puts their bodies on the line BUT reverting to shape and playing possession based football would take the sting out & frustrate the opposition. And remove the threat. Instead we become condensed around our box and invite a wave of attacks . It’s high risk. Warne seems to favour “heart” over “head” at these times. He’d still applaud the performance of putting bodies on the line if we conceded in the 97th minute; he said so in his post-match. 

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

They got 2 bookings to our 5, the most stupid booking (by the Ref) was Sibley's, he had to wait to take the throwing when the ref allowed Charlton to make substitutions, then SECONDS later booked him for time wasting ? The Stats for fouls in the match, was 15 by Charlton and 12 by Derby. I know that good and bad decisions by refs normally end up being 50/50 but not what I've seen in this League one.

Yes, but those stats are for fouls given by the ref, not total fouls committed. Otherwise foul committed by Charlton players may well be heading towards 100!