Wildsmith

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Yes on paper or 3 centre half’s and a full back or it could easily be said 4 centre half’s 

Semantics. Cash, when we play 3 at the back, is the left sided of the 3 and part of that job is the left back role when the wing back, as often happens, can't get back to cover. Whatever you choose to call the positions, we had Nyambe (Wilson after Nyambe's injury), Nelson, Bradley and Cashin playing as a back 4, not the back 3 to which many allude. 

• 3 weeks later...

After his brilliant performance on Saturday- The Sun newspaper is reporting that Wildsmith has turned down the chance to play for DCFC next season . Championship clubs are reportedly after him . Leeds ? Bristol city ? How come the likes of Bird and Wildsmith are turning down contracts with us ? Sibley next ? 

13 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

After his brilliant performance on Saturday- The Sun newspaper is reporting that Wildsmith has turned down the chance to play for DCFC next season . Championship clubs are reportedly after him . Leeds ? Bristol city ? How come the likes of Bird and Wildsmith are turning down contracts with us ? Sibley next ? 

I guess this had been coming, with the rumours earlier in the season that he'd fallen out with Warne.

Was the rift because Wildsmith had already rejected a contract offer from the club?

Or maybe he was dropped during the contract negotiations as a way of sending a message that you're not worth the money you're asking for.

I don't expect to hear anymore on this until the season's over and the club may potentially make an improved contract offer based on his performances at the end of the season

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I guess this had been coming, with the rumours earlier in the season that he'd fallen out with Warne.

Was the rift because Wildsmith had already rejected a contract offer from the club?

Or maybe he was dropped during the contract negotiations as a way of sending a message that you're not worth the money you're asking for.

I don't expect to hear anymore on this until the season's over and the club may potentially make an improved contract offer based on his performances at the end of the season

Wildsmith looked like he proper despised Warne as Warne leapt into his arms to give him a big cuddle on Saturday. Jesus wept.

This Nixon, yes, that bastion of truth, taking the comment from the forum last night about nothing til after the season and running with it as he's one, if not, the best player we have who's not under contract next season.

28 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

And what if we're in the Championship too?

Unless there was something in the rumours about him and Warne falling out, it wouldn't make much sense.

6 minutes ago, tinman said:

Nixon stirring the pot for his mates in the north west 

Hope you are right . Wouldn’t like to see Wildsmith go . With the greedy Prem clubs not agreeing handouts to EFL clubs - it’s hard to know what you can pay next season , whichever division we are in .

56 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Hope you are right . Wouldn’t like to see Wildsmith go . With the greedy Prem clubs not agreeing handouts to EFL clubs - it’s hard to know what you can pay next season , whichever division we are in .

I mentioned elsewhere that on the news last night it said the government football regulator will be able to take the decision about financial distribution of funds away from the Premier League.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I mentioned elsewhere that on the news last night it said the government football regulator will be able to take the decision about financial distribution of funds away from the Premier League.

How do you force limited companies to share revenues with other limited companies? It's another voice at the table, ultimately a powerful one, but there is going to be a long-drawn out war before anything is decided. 

For what it's worth, I can see why we would want to upgrade the goalkeeper position ahead of next season. Wildsmith has been good for us, often very good, but Vickers is clearly the number two in mind and had the number one shirt prior to his injury. It's not uncommon for teams, especially after promotion to League One, to upgrade their goalkeeper. Ipswich did it last season, where Christian Walton was outstanding - 23 clean sheets, 35 goals conceded in 46 games.... he hasn't started a league game this season. 

Wildsmith was beyond excellent in our biggest game of the season, he deserves all the credit, but he's not been faultless this season.

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

For what it's worth, I can see why we would want to upgrade the goalkeeper position ahead of next season. Wildsmith has been good for us, often very good, but Vickers is clearly the number two in mind and had the number one shirt prior to his injury. It's not uncommon for teams, especially after promotion to League One, to upgrade their goalkeeper. Ipswich did it last season, where Christian Walton was outstanding - 23 clean sheets, 35 goals conceded in 46 games.... he hasn't started a league game this season. 

Wildsmith was beyond excellent in our biggest game of the season, he deserves all the credit, but he's not been faultless this season.

Agree. I'd like to keep Joe, but his rushes of blood leading to two penalties have been odd. I feel his overall confidence and command helps the defence, meaning I'm extremely happy he's regained the shirt. And his game management when we've needed it has been excellent. But if he does want to leave he's not irreplaceable. 

We got him for next to nothing, as was the same for Ryan Allsop who I thought a better keeper. It's a position where there is always another one along if you need. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

We got him for next to nothing, as was the same for Ryan Allsop who I thought a better keeper. It's a position where there is always another one along if you need. 

Yeah but sometimes the next one along is someone like Roos or Hamer.  Think we are exceptionally lucky with the two keepers we have and would want to keep them both.

Edited by Blondest Goat

22 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

How do you force limited companies to share revenues with other limited companies? It's another voice at the table, ultimately a powerful one, but there is going to be a long-drawn out war before anything is decided. 

I hope to God that's a typo, and not a premonition!  😲

5 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Is that next season ? A New Government running football. Diane Abbott crunching the numbers for the Prems £Billions . What can possibly go wrong ?

5 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It’s a huge topic and there will be many pages devoted to it all over the place. One thought (sorry this is off topic ) I honestly think there’s some mileage to be had in making loans dependant on PL clubs paying all wages and accepting all risks. After all its training their players, why should money go back to the PL when the EFL clubs are effectively providing training for nothing ? 

Back to Joe. Everyone makes mistakes but Joe makes fewer than most and has proved to be an excellent keeper. Hope he stays. He’s not Shilton or Poom but he’s earned his No 1 spot to my mind.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Is that next season ? A New Government running football. Diane Abbott crunching the numbers for the Prems £Billions . What can possibly go wrong ?

I wish people would stop this snide picking on Diane Abbott. She made a gaff when she was suffering a diabetic blood-sugar problem which does mess with your thinking processes - one ,mistake - and the world has had its teeth into her ever since, going on for how many years? Think of the colossal number of gaffes from Bonzo Dog Johnson, let alone his blatant lies, yet no-one keeps taking him to task for much more serious "gaffes". The same is true for most of his many cabinet members who kept making mistakes, who continue to get away scot-free. Abbott may dress a bit oddly, but there is no excuse for continuing to do her down for one incident caused by by a health problem.

27 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I did tell you all a couple of months back that Wildsmith refused to sign a new contract…

He’d have never played for us again, had it not been for Vickers injury 

So you're saying he wouldn't have been picked?