Wildsmith

15 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

You left before the end to get away then ? Talk about a Rabbit in the headlights !!!! 

And you weren’t watching when Josh made 2 good saves to secure the win, or do you only see what you want to see 

24 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

And you weren’t watching when Josh made 2 good saves to secure the win, or do you only see what you want to see 

weirdly the second later save wasn't on the highlights, i don't think there's much between them,   

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Vickers is now on -2.6 goals prevented vs Wildsmith's +0.6. It's the equivalent to us conceding 11 goals more than we already have done if Vickers had played in every game. That's also not taking into account the goal line clearance to help us out by the Cheltenham player.

There is clearly something at play we aren't aware of.

Most fans I have spoke to are of the same opinion, Vickers is a good keeper, could be a number 1 at many league 1 clubs, but not a clue how or why Wildsmith has been dropped and would have him back in as number 1.

One could argue our once defensive solidity has gone since Forsyth and Nyambe got injured/AFCON, but also, since Wildsmith was dropped.

8 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Wildsmith needs to be playing. Our forms fell off a cliff. we need to be playing our reliable players 

I wouldn't say Vickers is unreliable. I also wouldn't necessarily equate our current drop in form (as in results) to the dropping of Wildsmith. 

Having said that, I don't think Wildsmith was doing much wrong and so, as some others have suggested, can't help but feel something else has gone on.

Edited by Tamworthram

16 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I wouldn't say Vickers is unreliable. I also wouldn't necessarily equate our current drop in form (as in results) to the dropping of Wildsmith. 

Having said that, I don't think Wildsmith was doing much wrong and so, as some others have suggested, can't help but feel something else has gone on.

i like Vickers but with wildsmith our defence seemed to be rock solid

2 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Nyambe should be available now, due his Namibia team getting knocked out on Saturday.

Based on current fitness levels at the club I assume he'll have got Dengue Fever, Measles, and a torn hamstring over the last 3 weeks. Still slightly fitter than Elder however, or the Albatross as he's better known.

On 16/01/2024 at 16:35, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith
Saves: 52
Goals Conceded: 22
Goals Prevented: 0.6
Save Rate: 75%
Clean Sheets: 10

Vickers
Saves: 2
Goals Conceded: 4
Goals Prevented: -1.8
Save Rate: 33%
Clean Sheets: 0

There's one clear winner

Surprised there’s enough data on Vickers to provide a sensible comparison but certainly agree with the conclusion. 

Wildsmith would also lead the stats on these criteria

% of punches a seal would be proud of (W 0%, V 40%)

Mille-seconds taken to decide whether to attack a cross outside the 6yard box (W250, V850)

The list goes on … 

My concern is that there is some weird personal thing going on inside Warne’s bobble hat that leads to this nonsense. We see worse keepers than W in the PL every Saturday night. 

2 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Didn’t somebody say Wildsmith won’t sign a new contract? Pure speculation of course

Not heard that one, although his contract does expire in the summer, 2+2=6 maybe, although it’s plausible.

8 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Come on , that last minute let off was one of the most inept bit of goalkeeping you will ever see , the moment he needed to step up he cacked his pants . Joe is just the better all round keeper , nothing personal. 

9 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Come on , that last minute let off was one of the most inept bit of goalkeeping you will ever see , the moment he needed to step up he cacked his pants . Joe is just the better all round keeper , nothing personal. 

I prefer Wildsmith but also quite like Vickers. He didn’t cack his pants, he found himself in a poor position and then misjudged the cross which isn’t the same as panicking. Also “the moment he needed to step up” kind of implies this was the first bit of goalkeeping he was called upon to do which, of course, it wasn’t.