Wildsmith

9 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Right... and nobody would have slated PW for picking an attacking player at LB... of course they would.

You asked a question to another poster...I took it on

Now your looking into a Chrystal Ball with a comment that people would have slated PW if he had played an attacking left back.

As he didn't we'll never know what the outcome would have been...now would we? 

We have the second-best defence in the league, going by goals conceded, and Wildsmith has played in 29/36 league games. He's a very good L1 goalkeeper, and he doesn't have to make world-class saves for that to be true. If he was a great goalie, he'd be in the Prem.

Not that I know anything, but it looks to me like Warne wanted to get Vickers in at sooner or later and/or there's a contractual disagreement between Wildsmith and the club. In the same way Warne has foisted Bradley into the team, it feels like he wanted to make Vickers #1. Either way, JW's unsettled. He's gone from a reliable 7/10 keeper to making silly decisions, but outside of his 2 stupid penalties gaffs, he hasn't done too much wrong.

I saw JW on Ben Foster's podcast and he came across as very switched on, seemed to take his career & training seriously. I can't help thinking he's being pushed out and it's affecting his game. It's a stupid mistake, even putting everything else to one side, as he's a saleable asset who will probably be allowed to leave for nothing.

34 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Right... and nobody would have slated PW for picking an attacking player at LB... of course they would.

Time to stop playing NML behind the striker. He's much better out wide in his favoured position. Poor last night, poor at Barnsley. Plus, not having him out wide has seen us not create chances in front of goal.

You've forgotten how decent he looked there last season, involved in our long unbeaten run? I would have had to say what a good choice it would have been, but I didn't need to! 😄

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You've forgotten how decent he looked there last season, involved in our long unbeaten run? I would have had to say what a good choice it would have been, but I didn't need to! 😄

NML gets knackered and loses his touch and control if he’s overplayed. Which he has been. He should be coming off at 70 mins regularly. Next thing is he’ll get injured. Just as happened to Fozzy when he was required to do teenage sprints up and down the left touchline week in week out. 
I think Warne, as a trim little fellow who keeps himself in annoyingly good shape, has no idea what impact old FatherTime has on the soft tissues of normal sized men

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

You asked a question to another poster...I took it on

Now your looking into a Chrystal Ball with a comment that people would have slated PW if he had played an attacking left back.

As he didn't we'll never know what the outcome would have been...now would we? 

He's played Sibs there earlier this season and got slated. Why would you expect any difference this time?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

No, I haven't forgotten, neither have I forgotten the reactions on PW picking him there earlier this season nor the slating he got on social media for doing so.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Who would you have played at left back then? Would that have made a better back 4 than the one chosen?

@Ram-Alf has already answered but - yes, Sibley. He has performed well in that position.

But the other points are:

1. We get the best centre back pairing of Nelson and Cashin.

2. We play 4 at the back.

3. We have more attacking options from the wings

31 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

He's played Sibs there earlier this season and got slated. Why would you expect any difference this time?

So your angst is that "PW got slated for playing Sibley at LB" fans will complain at anything they see is wrong in their opinion, If you read this forum 1 hour before kick off...there's a good few who disagree with PW about his choice of players, His formation ect ect

To put our best Centre Half...imo as an emergency LB as he didn't/couldn't drop Cashin to facilitate Bradley was a mistake...imo

I see PW has been "slated" after the game last night and today...maybe we'll see 11 different players against Port Vale aye 

23 hours ago, IslandExile said:

For a season and a half I was very impressed with Wildsmith but he's faded for a while now. 

What he did tonight was just nuts.

Yes absolutely ridiculous goalkeeping considering he did something very similar against Oxford away. We need definitely an upgrade on Wildsmith. 

16 hours ago, Papahet said:

He has a pretty custy job tbh, doesn't really do much most games and can't think of too many world class saves he's made in 18 months here (?)

His decision making is woeful and this is the reason he's been a number 2 throughout his career prior to joining.

If every keeper in the world made 1 "world class" save per season (each), such saves would be demoted to "Excellent" or "Bloody fantastic".
They are called "World class" for a reason.
Most keepers go through a full career without achieving one.  

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

If every keeper in the world made 1 "world class" save per season (each), such saves would be demoted to "Excellent" or "Bloody fantastic".
They are called "World class" for a reason.
Most keepers go through a full career without achieving one.  

So why is he so rated by our set of fans then? Seen posts say he's our best keeper since Poom, which is an insult to Scott Carson and Lee Grant.

He barely had a thing to do most games, so I've no idea why fans think he's actually good (?)

28 minutes ago, Papahet said:

So why is he so rated by our set of fans then? Seen posts say he's our best keeper since Poom, which is an insult to Scott Carson and Lee Grant.

He barely had a thing to do most games, so I've no idea why fans think he's actually good (?)

To be fair, his meltdown at Barnsley last season aside, until Oxford away this season, I'd have said he was our best keeper SINCE Carson, no higher, but for some reason, he doesn't seem focused on his craft. 

Players often lose focus when Contract issues materialise. Could that be the issue here?

17 hours ago, IslandExile said:

@Ram-Alf has already answered but - yes, Sibley. He has performed well in that position.

But the other points are:

1. We get the best centre back pairing of Nelson and Cashin.

2. We play 4 at the back.

3. We have more attacking options from the wings

We did play 4 at the back. Nyambe, Nelson, Bradley and Cashin. 2 full backs and 2 centre halves.

2 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

We did play 4 at the back. Nyambe, Nelson, Bradley and Cashin. 2 full backs and 2 centre halves.

Yes on paper or 3 centre half’s and a full back or it could easily be said 4 centre half’s 

Between Wildsmith and Collins I would say Wildsmith is the better goalkeeper and better investment whilst Collins is or should be cover but he kicks the ball further 

Do I want an upgrade on both absolutely 

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Between Wildsmith and Collins I would say Wildsmith is the better goalkeeper and better investment whilst Collins is or should be cover but he kicks the ball further 

Do I want an upgrade on both absolutely 

Collins?  Have i missed something?

Solid keeper for this level as is Vickers, I don't think we're spoilt having both and somehow most of our fans can't see this.

I do think Wildsmith hasn't replicated his form from the first half of last season since. Plus his mistake on Tuesday was infuriating, he would've known before he followed through that he wasn't getting the ball, so why not pull up and hope the forward misses the 1 on 1?

That said if we actually looked to kill teams off then maybe an error here and there by him wouldn't be as big. 

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

I was responding to your comment "can't think of too many world class saves he's made in 18 months here (?)".

I was suggesting that he maybe isn't expected to do so?  At no point did I intend to suggest he was world class.  
I do, however, agree with your comments referencing Carson & Grant.  

Further, I'm not keen on speaking on behalf of others, so I'll refrain from responding directly to your question above, as much like yourself, I too have no idea why others think what they do.

🐏