Wildsmith

20 hours ago, MadAmster said:

As an ex keeper myself, I think JW has the better all round game. The reason given for him not playing was given as he'd had a knock. He has been criticised for going down too often. I would agree but I'm old fashioned and still think you go down when injured and for no other reason. Most times when he goes down, it's at a point in the game where the opposition is getting the upper hand. I think he does it to take their momentum away. I also think he shouldn't do it for that reason. I know other teams do it, I just don't like it.

Agree. I think there has been a new rule brought in during the last few years, whereby a goalkeeper when either catching a shot or collecting a back pass, has to throw himself full length on the pitch. 🤨

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Has to play at Charlton 

I assume you’re saying that because you believe the defence don’t look confident with Vickers in goal rather than his actual performance yesterday (did he do anything wrong to justify being dropped?) but, for the avoidance of doubt, it might have helped if you’d elaborated on your post.

21 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Why, Josh was very comfortable yesterday , made a couple of good saves , good communication with his defenders, solid all round

Not going to knock Josh, as I think we are fortunate enough to have two very good keepers at this level, but Joe has the better all-round skillset for me. I worry about Josh and crosses and I think Joe also edges it in terms of distribution. Both are excellent shot-stoppers, but again, my slight leaning there would also be to Joe. If Joe's on the naughty step then we should probably get him off it and get him and Nyambe back into our defensive unit ASAP.

Josh generally looks to restart much quicker than Joe, which should allow us onto the front foot. Unfortunately, our outfield players often slow play down allowing the opposition to get back in to shape. Joe’s tendency is to time waste/slow the restart down and take less risk. Given PW encourages the players to take risks I can see why Vickers is in at the moment. I’d suggest he’ll need to have a stinker/get injured before Joe gets back in. If the above rumour about not declaring an injury is true, I doubt that’s helped Joe’s case much.

5 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Why, Josh was very comfortable yesterday , made a couple of good saves , good communication with his defenders, solid all round

You left before the end to get away then ? Talk about a Rabbit in the headlights !!!! 

From the Sky highlights here's what people are talking about, the Cheltenham number 6 back-heading the ball off our goal line with 30 seconds to go after Vickers deliberately lowered his arms to leave the ball and let it drift over his head. Miss of the season. Very bad goalkeeping right at the moment we needed Vickers to be strongest. As mad as Wildsmith's rush of blood penalty against Oxford. I guess we have two League One keepers, though I feel Wildsmith exudes more confidence, which rubs off on me and the defence.

image.thumb.png.58ca9edc6bd3c66e8865fe4851f9cc2e.png

5 hours ago, chadlad said:

Did you see where he was for Cheltenham’s last gasp free kick? He was caught in no man’s land and they could have, should have scored….

Exactly like Wildsmith at Leyton Orient for their disallowed goal. 

Don't think dealing with crosses is either keepers greatest strength.

Pretty obvious Warne prefers Vickers so any hope people have of Joe returning is going to be in vain unless he gets injured or has a mare.