Wildsmith

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

His form hasn't been that bad, been steady all season to my eyes. Not sure Vickers has done enough to keep the starting spot, so I'd have Wildsmith back as #1 for the time being, from Lincoln onwards. Good to have competition.

Put another way, what has he done to deserve being dropped?

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Put another way, what has he done to deserve being dropped?

I was thinking this, but after chatting at the game last night apparently he wasn't his best v Oxford and admittedly I missed that game so couldn't state he shouldn't have been with any conviction. 

In many ways I think Wildsmith has been one of the best signings we've made post-admin. Remarkably consistent which is rare for keeps below elite-level. On a free, he's been a cracking bit of business so far!

I wouldn't have dropped him - it just seems an unnecessary risk - some blamed him for the P'boro goals which I thought was very harsh.    If that us the standard he's judged by Vickers could have done better with both Burton goals. 

Edited by trappatoni

10 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

I wouldn't have dropped him - it just seems an unnecessary risk - some blamed him for the P'boro goals which I thought was very harsh.    If that us the standard he's judged by Vickers could have done better with both Burton goals. 

Don’t think Vickers takes the blame for the first goal but saving that sort of shot (even with the deflection) is the sort of worldie Wildsmith pulls off every once in a while 

I know it's bordering on tin foil hat, but I do wonder if there's any truth behind the rumours that he gets an extension upon reaching x amount of appearances and we're hoping to renegotiate.

For me he's one of two or three that looked undroppable, and I've felt much less confident with Vickers (who hasn't made any mistakes in his defence, I just don't feel as safe).

1 minute ago, NorwichExile said:

For me he's one of two or three that looked undroppable, and I've felt much less confident with Vickers (who hasn't made any mistakes in his defence, I just don't feel as safe).

Think this is just a testament to how good Wildsmith has been. 

He is a great keeper, particularly for this level, perhaps the best signing we have made in a few years.

26 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

I know it's bordering on tin foil hat, but I do wonder if there's any truth behind the rumours that he gets an extension upon reaching x amount of appearances and we're hoping to renegotiate.

Even if that's true just play him and pay him. He's the best keeper we have and has been a solid #1 since he arrived. I doubt his wages will get bumped so massively that it'll send us in to another Mel Morris spiral.

Wildsmith was poor in the Oxford & Peterborough games. I think when you have an experienced keeper on the bench, you have to give him an opportunity to win his place. He's had a few games now - done ok, but probably should've done better in some situations. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wildsmith come back in at some point, personally. I'd probably go with him against Lincoln. 

Keep the standard as high as possible - conceding two against Burton probably falls below that standard. 

I suspect Joe’s rush of blood v Oxford was a strong factor, but before that he’d had a couple of matches where his distribution was overly slow and cautious. I recall grading him in the ratings in a previous match to these and commenting on a wayward kicking performance, when he was otherwise a spectator. He perhaps could’ve done better with at least one of the P’boro goals. Nonetheless, he’s a fine shot-stopper and has formed a strong defensive unit with Cash and Nels.

Josh seems to favour quicker distribution out his hands which, given our counter attacking style is a positive. Though the downside last night was the impact on accuracy and control. He was hesitant on 2-3 occasions when faced with a crowded box. I’d prefer to see him coming to catch than punch the high ball. That’s start position and confidence. Couple of occasions last night when Cash was clearly waiting for him to come and ended up intervening. He’s a very capable keeper who will benefit from a run of games, but Joe still shades it for me on his past record with us.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith
Saves: 52
Goals Conceded: 22
Goals Prevented: 0.6
Save Rate: 75%
Clean Sheets: 10

Vickers
Saves: 2
Goals Conceded: 4
Goals Prevented: -1.8
Save Rate: 33%
Clean Sheets: 0

There's one clear winner

Wildsmith was dropped because of his form in his last couple of games.  You'd have very different results if you compared the two keepers stats from their last two league games.  

Thought Vickers would probably just come in for one game to give Wildsmith a kick up the backside.  Remind him his standards can't drop. Haven't seen anything from Vickers to suggest he is a better bet than Joe so think it would be harsh if Vickers keeps his place.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith
Saves: 52
Goals Conceded: 22
Goals Prevented: 0.6
Save Rate: 75%
Clean Sheets: 10

Vickers
Saves: 2
Goals Conceded: 4
Goals Prevented: -1.8
Save Rate: 33%