Wigan Athletic v Derby County

B4’s Sister

43 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The RD post Lincoln interview was crazy stuff. It was all about how the players are letting us down. Any reference to the last minute calamity vs Wycombe (there have been a few)  is a shot at Ward. Managers can play it a few ways - harp on about the mistake, say nothing, or say hey we all make mistakes. Subbing Ward was itself harsh criticism but no effort was made to take the sting out of that. The Wigan pre match was on similar lines. 

Warne - despite our current run - continues to be criticised for not achieving consistency and for not getting the best football out of his squad. I think we are seeing him in the press turn on the players (‘maybe this is all they’ve got’). Maybe it’s a clever motivational approach that will work. Or maybe it’s merely deflecting attention from Warne. But there’s a danger that if he attacks the team and the team does not respect his coaching, then he just demotivates them

Yes I’d like to see  3 CBs, Fozzie, Cashin and Nelson. Problem is sales in jan might make that difficult, if Bird and Cashin go. In any case we now lose a lot if Fozzie is not at CB. If he does play at CB now, I think he’ll be able to do the same next season whichever league we’re in

I just simply don’t see it in the same way you do. But it’s Christmas and I can’t be bothered to argue over opinions. 
Have a good un 🍻 

19 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Yeah that's how I see him and I just don't think we have the forwards that can take advantage of his crosses anyway.   Collins is probably our best bet but he's hardly dominant in the air or one to get across the face of defenders.   Then people will say he doesn't get enough service but a striker can make average balls into the box look like good ones or vice versa. 

We scored from one of Wards crosses on Thursday.

11 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

We scored from one of Wards crosses on Thursday.

We have to utilise our players' strengths better.

Ward's main strength is his 'Beckham like' delivery of the ball, that is to say that he can whip in the ball with both a right to left curve and a dip. This enables our central forwards to have a chance of the ball dropping down between the usual pair of towering central defenders that most teams seem to play, whereas the flat crosses have no chance of reaching our forwards. His early curving crosses also enable our forwards to run in behind their defenders, this nearly came off against Lincoln, but for the excellent anticipation and handling of their keeper on several occasions. 

I would also like to see him more involved for our free kicks, when the occasion calls for a right footed shot or ball in.

I'm not feeling massively confident about a top 2 push.

I think it's the nature of the wins. They are slightly 'attritional'. As a one-off, game by game that's fine.  We look solid at the back,  have plenty of the ball and probe down the wing, Collins does the hard work on his own and 2nd half we have impact subs who can give us a spark.

Nothing wrong with that. Just would like the occasional 'easy' win where we click, take the game to the opposition and win easily as the better team.  Just feels currently its more percentage football and the odds aren't that stacked in our favour. I never feel that confident we will win and every game is a tight affair. 

I never feel like we are going to give anyone a spanking. To be top 2 I think we need a bit more. Definitely more inspiration from the midfield and a striker who can break the lines a bit. 

Think we are looking more 4th or 5th place at the moment.  Would so like us to kick on a little more and be a bit more aggressive in our play.

Wilson needs to start,  JJ needs more game time and get some fresh blood in the window and we could really take this league on.

Edited by Chester40