Wigan Athletic v Derby County

B4’s Sister

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Dont think NML will start following Warne's comments, probably try & get him fit for Oxford & Peterborough.

Can see us changing shape for this game with Nyambe not fully fit, Ward out of sorts & NML probably out so it means we can get Wilson in but still in a more advanced position than right back - 

Wildsmith - Nelson Bradley Cashin - Wilson Fornah Hourihane Forsyth - Bird Barkhuizen - Collins

Vickers Elder Nyambe Ward Thompson Sibley TJJ

I think of NML isn't fit to start, we'll go 3 at the back.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

One more outing for a back 3 I see..... haven't we seen this fail enough?

Chatting to a Luton fan couple of days ago in St Lucia and he was adamant Sonny Bradley should be nowhere near a back 3. 

This is interesting given PW's love of the back 3 and sonny looking sub-optimal in a back 3.

17 hours ago, DiggerB said:

Wildsmith 

Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin   Foz

Bird   

Wilson        Hourihane        NML

Sibley

Collins

Given the pre-match news I’ll swap Barks for NML otherwise I think Nyambe will be fit to start and when he is subbed we’ll go to a 3

9 hours ago, Magicman said:

Wildsmith 

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Fozz 

Hourihane Fornah 

Wilson Bird Barks 

Collins 

assumes NML is unfit 

That'll do for me.  I don't think it matters whether we start with Barks or Sibley - whoever plays the first sixty minutes will probably be pretty average than when the other one replaces them they'll be fresh and have more end product.  Maybe it's a bit like rugby with starters and finishers?  I just wish our starters would put in more of a shift in the first half. Tempo! I wouldn't object to Ward starting (so long as Nyambe is playing behind!), as Wilson seems another good option after sixty minutes but that would be a bit of a gutsy call and nobody can say Wilson doesn't deserve a start.  If Nyambe isn't ready the selection will be interesting. 

I've not been to an away game for years and I'd have loved to go to this, but family calls... 😥

1 minute ago, S6 boy said:

That'll do for me.  I don't think it matters whether we start with Barks or Sibley - whoever plays the first sixty minutes will probably be pretty average than when the other one replaces them they'll be fresh and have more end product.  Maybe it's a bit like rugby with starters and finishers?  I just wish our starters would put in more of a shift in the first half. Tempo! I wouldn't object to Ward starting (so long as Nyambe is playing behind!), as Wilson seems another good option after sixty minutes but that would be a bit of a gutsy call and nobody can say Wilson doesn't deserve a start.  If Nyambe isn't ready the selection will be interesting. 

I've not been to an away game for years and I'd have loved to go to this, but family calls... 😥

Consult the B4 manual.

A. Buy them tickets for Christmas and take them with you.

B. Don’t listen to the calls and go on your own.

C. Tell them you’re just nipping to the shop and then go.

16 hours ago, Topram said:

What you dropping Collins for? He’s our top scorer by far 

We’ve got plenty who can score goals and he’s not a better goal scorer than say NMl or Barks. I think playing better football is the best route to promotion and JC for all his effort and running does not promote fluent football 

44 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

For all the stick Ward has rightly got for giving away consecutive penalties, he should start on the wing if NML’s out

That way he can focus on what he’s good at; putting crosses into their box and staying as far away from our box as possible 

Problem is, for a winger, he doesn’t want to go in behind and he isn’t fast. He’s an old school right midfielder in the mould of Beckham who wouldn’t really have an obvious wide position in the game today either. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Problem is, for a winger, he doesn’t want to go in behind and he isn’t fast. He’s an old school right midfielder in the mould of Beckham who wouldn’t really have an obvious wide position in the game today either. 

Maybe him RW and Wilson overlapping at RB could be interesting. Just shut your eyes every time their LW gets it.

40 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

For all the stick Ward has rightly got for giving away consecutive penalties, he should start on the wing if NML’s out

That way he can focus on what he’s good at; putting crosses into their box and staying as far away from our box as possible 

Agree with this. Warne has told the fans a couple of times : I’d have delivered 8 wins on the trot if Ward hadn’t had a moment of madness v Wycombe. Blaming players; and we will see a lot of that if we stutter in the race to the automatics. The fact is, Ward carries the ball as well as anyone, he links well with others and his defensive frailties are no secret. So use him higher up the field. Fozzie on the other hand is our most experienced player and Warne is playing him in a role that requires far more athleticism than even he can now muster. To get the best out of him we want him at CB - to play him elsewhere or to drop him is a massive waste 

9 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

We’ve got plenty who can score goals and he’s not a better goal scorer than say NMl or Barks. I think playing better football is the best route to promotion and JC for all his effort and running does not promote fluent football 

How do you work that out? Collins career-wise is 1 in 3, Barks 1 in 5.8 and NML 1 in 6.8.

Oh of course I forgot - you've got a right downer on Collins.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Agree with this. Warne has told the fans a couple of times : I’d have delivered 8 wins on the trot if Ward hadn’t had a moment of madness v Wycombe. Blaming players; and we will see a lot of that if we stutter in the race to the automatics. The fact is, Ward carries the ball as well as anyone, he links well with others and his defensive frailties are no secret. So use him higher up the field. Fozzie on the other hand is our most experienced player and Warne is playing him in a role that requires far more athleticism than even he can now muster. To get the best out of him we want him at CB - to play him elsewhere or to drop him is a massive waste 

Forsyth is doing his job at left back as part of a pretty successful defensive unit, what evidence is there to move him to cb, presumably at the expense of a successful cb pairing in Nelson and Cashin? Or are you suggesting we go  back to a 3 cb system with seemingly no natural lwb option at the club currently?

Ward played rb to cover the injury absence of Nyambe, it was necessary not some random experiment by Warne. And we could well have had 7 (not 8 wins) in a row but for the last minute penalty conceded by Ward, can you provide evidence of Warne specifically blaming Ward to the fans a couple of times as I’ve missed that? I saw at least one interview where he said something along the lines of “it should really have been 7” but don’t recall him singling Ward out for public flogging. 

The tone of your post almost reads like we’re in the middle of a disastrous spell rather than one in which we’ve collected 19 points from the last 21 available. 

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Oh of course I forgot - you've got a right downer on Collins.

Your memory is doubly faulty. I’ve massive respect for Collins’ work rate so most of my posts about him have been positive. As well as commending his energy, I’ve said that his ball striking (when he gets it right) is excellent. Except with his head 

So why should he be dropped?: well, a forward press by one player is not effective, his ability to link with others is limited (not least because his first and his last touch is frequently poor), and his ability to find himself in the right place in the box - that crucial weapon in the striker’s armoury - is uncommonly absent. 

Also important to note that when we find ourselves leading, Collins can be an excellent game-closing sub in the second half. On account of his work rate 

I don’t think we’ll overtake the Portsmouths and the Boltons without playing good football. So I think Warne needs to fashion out of this squad a unit that does that. In my book Collins isn’t part of that starting line up

4 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Forsyth is doing his job at left back as part of a pretty successful defensive unit, what evidence is there to move him to cb, presumably at the expense of a successful cb pairing in Nelson and Cashin? Or are you suggesting we go  back to a 3 cb system with seemingly no natural lwb option at the club currently?

Ward played rb to cover the injury absence of Nyambe, it was necessary not some random experiment by Warne. And we could well have had 7 (not 8 wins) in a row but for the last minute penalty conceded by Ward, can you provide evidence of Warne specifically blaming Ward to the fans a couple of times as I’ve missed that? I saw at least one interview where he said something along the lines of “it should really have been 7” but don’t recall him singling Ward out for public flogging. 

The tone of your post almost reads like we’re in the middle of a disastrous spell rather than one in which we’ve collected 19 points from the last 21 available. 

The RD post Lincoln interview was crazy stuff. It was all about how the players are letting us down. Any reference to the last minute calamity vs Wycombe (there have been a few)  is a shot at Ward. Managers can play it a few ways - harp on about the mistake, say nothing, or say hey we all make mistakes. Subbing Ward was itself harsh criticism but no effort was made to take the sting out of that. The Wigan pre match was on similar lines. 

Warne - despite our current run - continues to be criticised for not achieving consistency and for not getting the best football out of his squad. I think we are seeing him in the press turn on the players (‘maybe this is all they’ve got’). Maybe it’s a clever motivational approach that will work. Or maybe it’s merely deflecting attention from Warne. But there’s a danger that if he attacks the team and the team does not respect his coaching, then he just demotivates them

Yes I’d like to see  3 CBs, Fozzie, Cashin and Nelson. Problem is sales in jan might make that difficult, if Bird and Cashin go. In any case we now lose a lot if Fozzie is not at CB. If he does play at CB now, I think he’ll be able to do the same next season whichever league we’re in

19 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The RD post Lincoln interview was crazy stuff. It was all about how the players are letting us down. Any reference to the last minute calamity vs Wycombe (there have been a few)  is a shot at Ward. Managers can play it a few ways - harp on about the mistake, say nothing, or say hey we all make mistakes. Subbing Ward was itself harsh criticism but no effort was made to take the sting out of that. The Wigan pre match was on similar lines. 

Warne - despite our current run - continues to be criticised for not achieving consistency and for not getting the best football out of his squad. I think we are seeing him in the press turn on the players (‘maybe this is all they’ve got’). Maybe it’s a clever motivational approach that will work. Or maybe it’s merely deflecting attention from Warne. But there’s a danger that if he attacks the team and the team does not respect his coaching, then he just demotivates them

Yes I’d like to see  3 CBs, Fozzie, Cashin and Nelson. Problem is sales in jan might make that difficult, if Bird and Cashin go. In any case we now lose a lot if Fozzie is not at CB. If he does play at CB now, I think he’ll be able to do the same next season whichever league we’re in

The only crazy stuff with that interview was the reaction of Steele et al. 

7 hours ago, Srg said:

Yeah that's how I see him and I just don't think we have the forwards that can take advantage of his crosses anyway.   Collins is probably our best bet but he's hardly dominant in the air or one to get across the face of defenders.   Then people will say he doesn't get enough service but a striker can make average balls into the box look like good ones or vice versa.