Derby vs Port Vale

B4’s Sister

I was at Port Vale last night and the last word I'd use to describe it is boring! 

There was a great atmosphere among the Derby fans from kick off. We were brought together by the shared endurance of traffic jams, crap facilities (again), lack of organisation and over-officious stewarding pre-match.

I thought we played well and always felt confident of the win. Yes, they had some possession in midfield with neat and tidy play that contributed to a good game but they created very little,  whereas we looked dangerous every time we attacked - direct and strong. Their goalkeeper was clearly man of the match (didn't he have a stormer against us at our place last season, too?) Another night, one of those early chances goes in and the scoreline would have looked more comfortable. As it was, I felt sure we would score eventually as they tired. 

Wilson is rapidly becoming one of my favourite footballers. You can tell he's revelling in being fit and playing in front of the biggest set of fans of his career. But everyone played their part; I don't get the hate for Collins as he worked his socks off again and could have had two on another night.

What a dollop that Ikpeazu is! Referee should have booked him early for his wrestling/diving, would have cut it out. Instead it just gave Cashin an opportunity to make him look clumsy, which he did with aplomb. 

Hourihane needs to let someone else onto set pieces occasionally as the lack of delivery is noticeable.  He worked hard across the rest of the pitch though against their busy midfield and closed down well.

What a classy goal to decide the game. Barkhuizen's harrying won the ball back, a peach of a low cross from Mendez-Laing and JJ finished with aplomb. Anyone else would have took a touch and the defender  cleared it. But that young man has quality and he showed it just when needed. In his celebration right in front of us he looked quite emotional,  another player hoping to put his injury demons behind him. I hope he does, because if he can keep fit he could help fire us to promotion this season.

Come on you Rams! ️ 

1 hour ago, jono said:

So points deductions had nothing to do with relegation then ? 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I stopped reading here.

We are not in League One because of recruitment. 

Do you not think spending 30 odd million plus and not making any money back might have had something to do with going into administration 😂

31 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Was convinced we were offside for our goal!  😲

... 5 re-runs... expand to full screen... before realising TJJ was slightly behind NML when he played it through!  Phew!  I thought I'd lost my marbles for a few minutes, and that the ref/lino had given us a break!

Yeah look where the ball is when NML plays it. It's already well into the dark green stripe, and TJJ is still in the pale stripe behind it. Can't be offside if you are behind the ball when it's played!

image.png.73d422d54dde3fcda784c8029c580e83.png

Edited by Stive Pesley

I see xG is being debated.

Time to remind people that factual statistics (like Shots on target) are the input for the xG model, the output of the xG model depends on the inputs. Is the xG model any good? With zero knowledge of how that model is working, and I doubt the code would be shared openly by it's creators anyway, the confidance in xG appareas to be based on a consensus of "well everyone else buys into xG" rather than actual knolwedge of the xG model.

That doesn't mean the xG model is bad, or shouldn't be used as a useful indication of how effective a team's attacking has been, but it's a model output, not a factual statistic. On the one hand, it's likely to be consistent as the code is just running over the inputs to generate the xG number, on the other hand anyone watching the game and looking at the factual stats could (and probably does) run their own personal internal model and conclude "we deserved more than we scored" or "we were lucky everything went in and normally it doesn't" <etc>

Is xG a superior metric to shots on target? My take is they're different things and need be used differently. xG is not "the truth" but what factual statistics tell you about a game is very limited without further context.

9 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

A few musings now I've had chance to reflect;

TJJ has got a bit of a swagger about him, and I feel like we're desperate for some of that borderline-arrogant confidence. At the same time, he seemed quite humbled by the fan reaction to the goal. After his little dance and celebration, you could see him mouth "thank you" to the crowd. Or it could have been "f*** you" and I suck at lip reading, so make of that what you will.

Port Vale aren't a bad team, despite not creating much they looked more than capable of doing so. Plus their kit is gorgeous.

I actually think we look better as a back 3, as long as Foz isn't on the right because you could see him panic every time the ball came to him. Nelson and Cashin have been sensational recently.

Nyambe had one of his poorest games for us and didn't look comfortable going forwards at all. I think a back three of Nyambe, Nelson and Cashin could be sensational with fit wingbacks though.

Wilson is a joy. It a shame he isn't left footed so we can't get him and Ward in the same side. He's not a winger, though.

The away support was sensational and incredibly loud on the Rams TV coverage! Well done all, hope the hangover on a school night isn't too painful.

Anyway, back in my box.

That was near word perfect…… near…. Sadly PV kit bloody awful in my humble but that’s your only wobble 

South Park Thumbs Up GIF

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s boring football because it’s a ‘boring’ league. The lack of real quality means the ball spends a lot of time in the air. 

However, we wouldn’t be calling it boring if we had someone up front or running from midfield who could put away some of the crosses put in by Wilson, NML and Co.

The fact they are headed or hoofed away leaves the spectator disgruntled.

I don’t find that it is a particularly boring league, some clubs try to play football. The ball is in the air a lot because we put it there. Why put in endless crosses and lumps forward if we don’t have the type of forward to take advantage. How many times did we give the ball away last night through 2 or 3 passes and pump it forward to the opposition to play with. 
The fact that we won does not in my opinion mean that I should be satisfied with our football. 
A lovely cross on the ground by NML for JJ to tap in. 
#keep it on the grass. 

31 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yeah look where the ball is when NML plays it. It's already well into the dark green stripe, and TJJ is still in the pale stripe behind it. Can't be offside if you are behind the ball when it's played!

image.png.73d422d54dde3fcda784c8029c580e83.png

That's precisely what I said, diddle I?  

Edited by Mucker1884

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I see xG is being debated.

Time to remind people that factual statistics (like Shots on target) are the input for the xG model, the output of the xG model depends on the inputs. Is the xG model any good? With zero knowledge of how that model is working, and I doubt the code would be shared openly by it's creators anyway, the confidance in xG appareas to be based on a consensus of "well everyone else buys into xG" rather than actual knolwedge of the xG model.

That doesn't mean the xG model is bad, or shouldn't be used as a useful indication of how effective a team's attacking has been, but it's a model output, not a factual statistic. On the one hand, it's likely to be consistent as the code is just running over the inputs to generate the xG number, on the other hand anyone watching the game and looking at the factual stats could (and probably does) run their own personal internal model and conclude "we deserved more than we scored" or "we were lucky everything went in and normally it doesn't" <etc>

Is xG a superior metric to shots on target? My take is they're different things and need be used differently. xG is not "the truth" but what factual statistics tell you about a game is very limited without further context.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this - and as you quite rightly state, the stats are so open to interpretation without context.

Goals Scored v Goals Conceded in each individual match. That is the only stat I honestly care about any match each week (and then the same stat in other games in our League which our competitors are involved in). The others might influence my view of the quality of the football played or the performance, feel good/feel negative factors but it’s unequivocal if we score more than the opposition we win - and if we win more than our peers then we succeed. 

34 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

We are in league 3 as the result of an owner that ran the club like a fan with a strategy of sacking managers weeks after giving them millions to spend in a transfer window, to bring in a different manager with a different philosophy.

Ironic really and wouldn't surprise me if those now referring to statistics are the ones that have been advocating for him to be sacked 🤨

I agree, fans don’t make good owners. Particularly if they don’t have a board with good experience of the game. 
We shouldn't keep changing managers, it is the initial selection and appointment of the manager and his immediate staff that is key. 

Who is it on here that, from time to time, produces a version of the league table with our results against each side home and away? I would love to see that now. Last season it was a really useful visual reference, and clearly showed our lack of points away from home against the better sides. This season, I get the sense that we have already played nearly all of the top half (?) meaning that the run into the end of the year should be against (theoretically) weaker opposition, and presents a good opportunity to go on a run of league results- which is precisely what we need.

And yes, I can’t be bothered to build it myself 😆