Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

17 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

"The players are disappointed to end up drawing the game, but they were brilliant," said Bell. “We had 12 fit players to choose from and we had Conor Thomas out there playing his first game for some time, while Mickey Demetriou played with a broken toe.

“If we’d had three or four extra players available like Derby did to keep them going at the end the outcome may have been different. I’d have taken that before the game when you consider the problems we have and knowing the story behind today.

But we have high expectations and we might have missed an opportunity to knock a big club in Derby County out of the FA Cup.”

Yep, not just entitled Derby fans think that way. 😉 #COYR

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

"The players are disappointed to end up drawing the game, but they were brilliant," said Bell. “We had 12 fit players to choose from and we had Conor Thomas out there playing his first game for some time, while Mickey Demetriou played with a broken toe.

“If we’d had three or four extra players available like Derby did to keep them going at the end the outcome may have been different. I’d have taken that before the game when you consider the problems we have and knowing the story behind today.

But we have high expectations and we might have missed an opportunity to knock a big club in Derby County out of the FA Cup.”

Yep, not just entitled Derby fans think that way. 😉 #COYR

And Paul Warne says a draw feels like a win.

Lower league manager disappointed not to win. Warne says a draw feels like winning.

This isn't really the level of expectations I'd expect from us.

We need to start giving the strikers we have the ball they require to put it away. We know how to do it. 4 against the Cobblers who in their 14 previous League games this season had conceded just 17 shows we can. 

Collo is 6'2" but doesn't jump for balls, Wash is 5'10" and Waggy 5'9 and a bit. The constant stream of high balls to them is just what the opposition wants.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually, at the “meet the players and coaches” forum Hourihane said “if you don’t  play Paul Warne’s way, you don’t play”. In other words the players gave to do what they are told.

As he is the manager, telling the players how to play is part of his job. And when there is a clearly identifiable pattern of play (in our case get it wide and sling it in) it is obvious that the players are being told to play like that. And saying so is not beyond the bounds of what is permissible.

I agree that is is what Hourihane said and that Paul Warne has said in the past that his preferred method of play (maybe to get out of League One only?) is to play with wing backs, high energy, press and get crosses into the box. This is what Liverpool do and Man City to a great extent although they do play through the lines as well.

Whether we currently have the right personnel to play as he would prefer is another matter - I don’t think we have (aging  players, lack of pace, aggression in places etc). 

No one apart from the dressing room knows what Warne asks the players to do on the pitch. I would be amazed if he just tells them to hoof it up the field! But there are times you need to, particularly when a player is under pressure away from home. cashin also seems to have the desire to hit a “worldly” on a regular basis. On other occasions when have played on the floor, when given time and the players have worked hard to make space for a pass (something I do not think we are good at - unlike Liverpool and Man City who are never static). We passed pretty well on Sunday and occasionally tried to play through the lines but they had so many players in the box it was very difficult. Totally agree our crossing is generally “naff” for the way he wishes to play. I am hoping the standard will improve when Ward reaches match fitness and is selected. He looked pretty good pre-season and created a few goals.

We need more pace up front, better positioning of players in the box for crosses and above all a better standard of crossing. The last two are coachable and I hope this is being worked on. The pace will only come if the Arsenal laddie makes an appearance or through the next Transfer Window. We are still Work in Progress, not the finished article.

I haven’t heard anyone ask Paul Warne the specific question of what are your tactics and what messages are you giving the players in the dressing room? There’s lot of speculation on here, but that’s all it is.

And quite rightly if a player doesn’t play or try to play as the Manager wishes, he shouldn’t be picked. I think even you would agree with that if you were manager.

Still have faith we will improve.

11 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

I agree that is is what Hourihane said and that Paul Warne has said in the past that his preferred method of play (maybe to get out of League One only?) is to play with wing backs, high energy, press and get crosses into the box. This is what Liverpool do and Man City to a great extent although they do play through the lines as well.

Its not what Liverpool or Man City do. It's what Sheffield United and Chelsea were doing about 4 or 5 years ago. Then its effectiveness suddenly fell of a cliff when people worked out how to counter it. Now hardly anyone uses it.

14 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

No one apart from the dressing room knows what Warne asks the players to do on the pitch. I would be amazed if he just tells them to hoof it up the field! But there are times you need to, particularly when a player is under pressure away from home. cashin also seems to have the desire to hit a “worldly” on a regular basis. On other occasions when have played on the floor, when given time and the players have worked hard to make space for a pass (something I do not think we are good at - unlike Liverpool and Man City who are never static). We passed pretty well on Sunday and occasionally tried to play through the lines but they had so many players in the box it was very difficult. Totally agree our crossing is generally “naff” for the way he wishes to play. I am hoping the standard will improve when Ward reaches match fitness and is selected. He looked pretty good pre-season and created a few goals.

I haven’t heard anyone ask Paul Warne the specific question of what are your tactics and what messages are you giving the players in the dressing room? There’s lot of speculation on here, but that’s all it is.

And quite rightly if a player doesn’t play or try to play as the Manager wishes, he shouldn’t be picked. I think even you would agree with that if you were manager.

Still have faith we will improve.

Warne's post-match interview was interesting as it's the first time I can remember him explicitly saying he doesn't want us to ''hoof'' it.

PW: ''I was really pleased with the fact that, even though we were losing, we didn't suddenly go back-to-front and just hoof it''

1:30 onwards he discusses how he wanted us to play, even saying explicitly he wanted us to play it on the floor and zip passes in:

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

Lower league manager disappointed not to win. Warne says a draw feels like winning.

I think most fans whose team was 2-0 down at 89 minutes and got a draw would feel like it was a wi  - it certainly brightened my mood!

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

And when there is a clearly identifiable pattern of play (in our case get it wide and sling it in) it is obvious that the players are being told to play like that. 

This is what I have been banging on about for a year now. How PW "loves a cross and a toe poke" but we now HAVE to go wide to cross it in when a direct through-ball is a better option. How many times have we seen Bird with the ball in the middle and he goes wide EVERY time. We know this and every opposition manager will know this. 

42 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

I think most fans whose team was 2-0 down at 89 minutes and got a draw would feel like it was a wi  - it certainly brightened my mood!

A draw against a lower league team is better than a loss, but let's be honest, neither are good enough.

Glad you enjoyed the comeback, I did too.

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Its not what Liverpool or Man City do. It's what Sheffield United and Chelsea were doing about 4 or 5 years ago. Then its effectiveness suddenly fell of a cliff when people worked out how to counter it. Now hardly anyone uses it.

Think you'd better watch Liverpool a bit more. Mo Salah in particular on the left side. Newcastle are another who attack down the wings with Gordon and Almiron.

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

In fairness though, the conditions in Torquay were a huge leveller. The pitch was poor and deteriorating. The weather was extremely wet and windy and not really conducive to any kind of football. Some of the refereeing was very questionable and indeed favourable to the home side - a penalty and a red card went against us. Torquay’s fans and players leaned into all of that. 

Yesterday we played virtually our strongest and most experienced XI with the exception of 1-2 players and had none of that to contend with.

Coming off our best performance of the season in midweek, surely you can understand the disappointment in making hard work of yesterday?

It was an FA Cup tie easily Crewes biggest game of the season so far and in the magic of the FA Cup especially if you can bring a big team to your place it all adds to the drama especially if the underdog scores first …if we had scored first as I mentioned in the match thread I think we would’ve won easily but we didn’t and squandered chances and oppurtunities to create more goal scoring opportunities 

This is the FA cup and why we love football so don’t mistake it for the dross we’ve witnessed at times this season 

Good character to keep going and get a draw when we should’ve been out of sight is my analysis 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Warne's post-match interview was interesting as it's the first time I can remember him explicitly saying he doesn't want us to ''hoof'' it.

PW: ''I was really pleased with the fact that, even though we were losing, we didn't suddenly go back-to-front and just hoof it''

1:30 onwards he discusses how he wanted us to play, even saying explicitly he wanted us to play it on the floor and zip passes in:

Thank you YorshireRam - I hadn't heard this, only the Radio Derby interview. So - it's official There is no such thing as Warne Hoofball - it's a figment of the imagination of the Warne Out camp. He wants us to play in on the floor.

I've yet to see Warne shove his central defenders upfront in desperation for a goal, unlike a few of our previous managers. In fact, I don't think we resorted to Route One football at all yesterday. Both goals came from us working the ball around the penalty area and consequently moving the defensive blockers out of position. Yes, we put allot of unsuccessful crosses in, but until the latter stages of the game pretty much every attempt from within the arc of the penalty area was blocked too. Crewe nearly got away with a smash and grab raid, thanks to two top quality finishes and some desperate defending but, ultimately, they didn't, because the players stuck at it and didn't panic.

One thing that disappointed me was the attendance.

Of the 5,500 that were there; around half were Derby fans (many of whom were in the home end as away end all sold out).

Considering Crewe has a population of 76,000; they only mustered around 2,500 home fans for what was billed as their biggest game of the season.

I find that surprising. The magic of the FA Cup, eh.

2 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

In the interview on this thread (at 47 seconds) he literally said we don’t come away with it feeling like a victory.

If, in another interview, he did say a draw feels like a win, come on, surely he meant scoring two very late goals to grab a draw makes it feel like a win. I think that’s a very normal and common sensation and not an indication of his expectation. Same with their manager, if you’re 2:0 up on 88 minutes you’re bound to be disappointed not to have won even if you’ve been played off the park for those 88 minutes.

19 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Both goals came from us working the ball around the penalty area and consequently moving the defensive blockers out of position.

Yes, and at the point in the game where they were sitting in more than any other. It was helped by them being mentally tired after our game-length barrage but perhaps if we'd spent more time trying to create that space and move those blockers in the first place, we'd have created better chances to score?

36 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Thank you YorshireRam - I hadn't heard this, only the Radio Derby interview. So - it's official There is no such thing as Warne Hoofball - it's a figment of the imagination of the Warne Out camp. He wants us to play in on the floor.

It depends how you think people are defining hoofball or using the term hoof. "Hoof it down the wing" doesn't necessarily mean high and long balls, it can just mean trying to move the ball there quickly and with minimal touches but nothing to do with 'launching it'.

Either way, please stop trying to make out that everyone who is "in the Warne Out camp" believes we're playing the traditional onomatopoeic interpretation of the word. I certainly don't.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Plenty of people here complaining about the endless crosses but at least there were some effective low crosses and cut-backs. It's a damn shame that most of the cut-backs went to someone who either dithered or blasted the ball into row Z.

As well as teaching Collins to stay onside, can Cashin learn how to head the ball downwards? All those corners and we were barely a threat from a single one.

More positively, Wilson looked good coming off the bench, and NML is great at the moment. He looks angry and determined to prove someone wrong.

Adebesi looked really decent and he's out-of-contract in the summer.