Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Average crosses per game:

Derby: 25.4

Luton: 23.5 (highest in PL)

Liverpool: 18.3

Man City: 16.4

Newcastle: 14.3

Do the states state how many are successful , if they stayed in or actually went to an attacking player or not ? Would be interesting to see.

3 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

It is frustrating that our game plan appears to be to put in crosses when we do not have a striker(s) who feed off this service. It does make you wonder why we havn't identified that we do not have a striker(s) to benifit from the crosses and adjusted the way we play acordingly, why set up a game plan to serve the teams weakness. 

Was this not exactly what we did v Northampton- playing it into Washington's feet and generally creating more through the middle?

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

Was this not exactly what we did v Northampton- playing it into Washington's feet and generally creating more through the middle?

It was, but why did it take so long to identify the problem, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is crazy.

Can we be sure that we will play to the strengths of the team in the future.

If we had Mitrovich in the penalty area the crosses might be effective, unfortunately we don’t have such a player in the squad.

45 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

It was, but why did it take so long to identify the problem, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is crazy.

Can we be sure that we will play to the strengths of the team in the future.

If we had Mitrovich in the penalty area the crosses might be effective, unfortunately we don’t have such a player in the squad.

Injuries have caused a fair bit of disruption, to be fair. We bought wingbacks to play with a back 5, then they all got injured. We blend a bit of new youth into the team in Thompson and Rooney, they both get injured. We bring in a dynamic midfielder and striker on loan to offer different qualities, they both get injured.

So currently we've reverted to a back 4, and also reverted away from the pressing/crossing game Warne seems to favour due to not having an effective striker for that gameplan. When you consider all the above, it's kind of understandable we haven't got a settled XI that have clicked yet? 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Injuries have caused a fair bit of disruption, to be fair. We bought wingbacks to play with a back 5, then they all got injured. We blend a bit of new youth into the team in Thompson and Rooney, they both get injured. We bring in a dynamic midfielder and striker on loan to offer different qualities, they both get injured.

So currently we've reverted to a back 4, and also reverted away from the pressing/crossing game Warne seems to favour due to not having an effective striker for that gameplan. When you consider all the above, it's kind of understandable we haven't got a settled XI that have clicked yet? 

They're nearly all fit again, we saw some of the back 5 play. Who are you expecting to be the back 5 (and midfield) then out of interest?

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They're nearly all fit again, we saw some of the back 5 play. Who are you expecting to be the back 5 (and midfield) then out of interest?

Honestly this season is the first time I'm finding it hard to be a backseat manager and name our strongest XI. If it's definitely 5 at the back, then I like the sound of Nyambe at RCB with Wilson as RWB- Wilson not quote solid defensively to play as a traditional fullback, Nyambe more than athletic enough to cover the gaps.

I should say this comes from me not really understanding our summer recruitment (we buy 2 RWBs but not a single LWB??). I think Wilson and Ward could probably both be starters, but where? That being said, the signing of Nyambe has helped things massively- he alone has facilitated us playing 4 at the back really.

That all being said, you can't predict injuries. I do wonder what system we'd be playing, and how well we'd be playing it if we didn't have as many disruptions. Not having a settled XI is always a massive detriment though so I'm hoping with nearly everyone back, as you say, we can hopefully start to really build form on the pitch, and hopefully results follow 🤞

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Going. I'll wave to the TV viewers,  we'll probably be a select group! 

Excluding those who started at Crewe...

Vickers

Wilson    Radcliffe   Cashin   Elder

Ward       Robinson  Fornah    Sibley

Collins      Brown

13 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Are you allowed to make 11 changes? I thought you had to field a certain number of first teamers to ''protect the integrity' of the tournament or something? 

There’s quite a number of regulations to try and make you put out a stronger team. Not sure if we can or can’t make 11 changes and still satisfy it.