Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

25 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

I think I'd rather have played well and gone out. More cup games do us absolutely no favours.

Instead we've played crap and scraped a replay. Worst of both worlds.

Did we play crap?

Completely dominated but couldn't score until late on....our problem,as ever,is out forward line against teams that sit in the box.

We need a new centre forward in January (no s*** Sherlock)

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Did we play crap?

Completely dominated but couldn't score until late on....our problem,as ever,is out forward line against teams that sit in the box.

We need a new centre forward in January (no s*** Sherlock)

I think we were poor today at both ends of the pitch. We've played worse, but still plenty of improvement to be made.

We've had 32 shots, you'd expect their goalie to have had a worldie. All they had to do was sort of stand there in a line. Credit to them, they did defend well, but I don't think we were on form.

To sum it up today we let Crewe score two goals and we couldn’t score. The longer the game went on we were trying different ways of putting the ball in the box. It did pay off in the end but early on some of the balls into the box were woeful. Crewe just threw themselves in front of the ball. No possession but a couple of deadly finishes. Not sure what can be said about today because we had all the ball yet were lucky to get a draw. Had we put half our chances away we’d be skipping around singing zipady doo dah!!

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Didn’t get a chance to watch or listen to the game…

Can anyone briefly summarise it, with the emotion taken out of it? 

Because the stats suggest we dominated etc but everyone online seems to be fuming. 

Completely dominated but couldn't break them down until the 89th minute...they scored on the two breaks they had.

We spent too much time crossing into their box because they gave us no space in the middle.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Couple flukey goals papers over the cracks of another poor performance.

Not sure how you justify the tactic of crossing the ball at every opportunity versus a back 3 and with Connor Washington up front on his own.

Warne then backed this up with his usual trick of waiting too long to make subs and switching between a back 3 and 4 at every available opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

The only thing not working today was our ability to put it in the net blaming Warne absolutely baffles me

So when you’ve got a good finisher on the bench who’s pretty good at having a go from outside the box, not bringing him on til really late makes sense does it? Or when you’re completely camped on top of them, but have no invention in the middle, you persist with Korey Smith, is that good management too?

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Because the stats suggest we dominated etc but everyone online seems to be fuming. 

The internet would like to apologise for any profanities read in the course of this afternoon's web browsing.

6 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I watched it and yes we were camped in their half. However, it's not just the amount of the ball we have but what we do with it that matters. Watching the Northampton game I wondered if the form and reaction of the fans had finally got Warne to reassess. We looked far more creative and menacing. Today, it was back to switching it to the flanks, putting a ball in and hoping something breaks for us in the box. Couldn't disagree more with angieram either, the second half lacked subtlety, movement, pace, or precision. It was one lump into the box after another and was far too easy to defend against. 

I thought the way they set up with defenders sitting high across the front of their box stopped us playing those little through balls and channelled us exactly where they wanted us - out wide. The crosses we then put in were high and suited their defenders rather than our attackers.

This was particularly noticeable first half.

Second half we mixed it up by going inside sometimes, and played less high crosses but more cut-backs when we were wide.

I am happy for you to disagree with me, but that's what I thought I saw. 

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

In summary - everybody was cross with how many crosses we had. It never crossed my mind we couldn’t cross the ball as bad as we try to. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

It was Rocky 1.

Apollo Creed, clearly the better boxer.Throughout the entire fight he's showing that he's clearly superior and Rocky just takes punch after punch after punch. Gets his little pasty ass beaten hard. But through grit and determination Rocky gets a lucky knockdown on Apollo and takes it to the wire and wins over the crowd, but unfortunately does not come out on top.

We were Apollo Creed. Kindof.

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

I think we were poor today at both ends of the pitch. We've played worse, but still plenty of improvement to be made.

We've had 32 shots, you'd expect their goalie to have had a worldie. All they had to do was sort of stand there in a line. Credit to them, they did defend well, but I don't think we were on form.

Agree to disagree then on how poor we were...we struggled against the usual suspects who played to frustrate us....we need a better striker to solve the problem i.m.o

26 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

I’m ashamed of myself I actually got annoyed we equalised. I’ve never thought this about Derby, ever.

That man is ruining our club 😭 

While I don’t think Paul Warne is the reincarnation of Brian Clough, the man that actually ruined our club put us into administration left us with no ground and a pile of debt then cleared off 

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Agree to disagree then on how poor we were...we struggled against the usual suspects who played to frustrate us....we need a better striker to solve the problem i.m.o

Agree with needing a new striker. But name a team who doesn't need one.

I thought it was a poor player performance, to the point that if we lost I’d say we came across as arrogant and lazy. It’s the problem, I think, with the idea that you tell the player to ‘keep doing the right things’ as Warne says. First 20 we are in control, next 10, we do the same things over and over but get complacent. Players aren’t in the right position, when the cross comes in, crosses become more ‘floaty’ and with less intent and we lost control of the game. Bradley then loses his head, maybe not for a wrong reason but it was a catalyst for a dreadful end to the half and start to the second.

Credit to Warne in that he got his subs right to put the pressure on them. Even bringing Sibley on later meant he didn’t fall into the pack. To be honest though i thought the game changed because Hourihane stepped up his game, gave out a few home truths to those around him and did enough to get us over the line. We can all be critical of him, but I thought he was the one who really changed it for us today. Wish we saw that side of Hourihane a bit more than we do.

Thought Nelson and Smith played well, everyone else was a big vat of meh until the subs came on. Some of that shooting was shameful and is starting to be a big concern. But for now I’m happy enough to get through to a replay and go from there.

33 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

No excuses that was desperate stuff, good comeback and great for the fans that were there. Abject football, dismal tactics, Bradley should never play for us again.

I’ve been out all day so missed the game. What did he do?

Easy viewing here in Chicago on itv.com via a VPN. Happy for Warne to live to fight another day. These games are never easy. Have a strange feeling things are about to turn bit like they did 28 years ago when Igor joined us this time of year. It’s a very strange feeling because the centre midfield is still powderpuff and we rely on goals from wingers. Need to get to Jan quickly and hope we haven’t lost any further ground.