January Reinforcements

sage

28 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think Warne’s update this afternoon also to some degree validates Big Trav’s credentials as an ITK (for those who feel it needs validating personally I appreciate the info he posts). He was on here yesterday mentioning a medical pencilled in for a name (that wasn’t Lee Gregory or Michael Smith), clearly we did have someone the club had kept under wraps lined up and it didn’t happen. Maybe one day BT will reveal the player 😉. Keep on posting what you know and what you can BT. 

How does that square with Adams being in negotiations for months before signing and Bird being signed by Bristol City yesterday?? We heard nothing from BT about either did we? How did he not hear about both of these, Adams in particular , if he is genuinely ITK? You believe what you like, I see his comments, along with Simmo, as just a bit of fun. Anyway, the fun is over now until the end of August 😉

Some of the reactions on here and twitter last night were beyond a joke to be honest.

"No prem club is going to trust Warne with their young players"

"Max Bird probably left because he cant stand Warnes football"

"Warne can't attract players, the club are lying to us"

"Warne hasn't got the contacts"

"The club said we had money, a good budget, this is a lie"

Amongst other things.

Yet if you take time to wait to hear the reasons and let the club have their say. We were two young strikers first choices, but unfortunately the clubs in question could not get cover and therefore wouldn't let them go. But apparently we have a manager who cant attract these young players because no premier league manager would trust Warne. 

Max Bird was leaving anyway. It really sounds like even if we had got promoted this season, he would have gone. He has been here for a long time. He wants a fresh challenge. Simple as that. No ulterior motives, no hate of the manager, he just wants a fresh challenge.

A deal agreed with a striker, all pretty much done, till at 8pm the gaffer of the club in question pulls the plug. What can we do about that?

We knew of every striker available, we left no stone unturned. But we just couldn't get one done. Despite trying our best and essentially having one agreed until the plug gets pulled at the 11th hour.

We clearly had a but of money left to bring one in, but through no fault of the manager or the club, it has not happened.

Yet yesterday the club, the manager got dogs abuse for failing to get a striker in.

Washington and Waghorn will be back in 3 weeks. You have Barkhuizen that can play through the middle, NML if needed. In the next 5 games we have one midweek game, so the others are all a full week apart. Plenty of times for Collins to recover.

We have ended the window with a better midfield than when we started & wingers that would be the envy of most clubs in this league.

Lets get behind them now and stop looking to pin blame and point the finger at.

UTR

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you think Adams and Bird are similar players, and CBT and Collins are similar players.

I'd do some research on the players first.

Given our propensity to go shopping for one type of player but come back from the shops with another type, buying a player as cover obviously doesn’t have to be anything like the player he is covering!

16 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

And young players don't guarantee that ? 
Seems strange that you use it as a stick to beat him with, yet our time under our previous chairman seems to be a similar theme ?

I get pboro have a good track record, but realistically how many good young players have we signed over the years that have gone onto better things, the only time you could argue when we had no alternative.

It may be utopia but it seems an unfair barometer that seems a more long term plan than someone who has been tasked of getting us out this league. 

I don't know what point you;re trying to make here. I was also critical of our signings in the past. I even gave an example earlier today when we had Forsyth, Malone, Olsson and Cole all contracted on permanent deals when we had Lowe on the fringes and Buchanan only 1 season away from his club debut. At one point we owned Evans, Johnson, Bryson, Butterfield, Holmes, Thorne, Ledley and Huddlestone (as well as loaning in Mount and King in) - we knew we had Bird, Knight and Sibley coming through, as well as Elsnik who was at least a level above them all at that moment in time.

The circustances were also different, particularly under Cocu and Rooney, when the number of players we could sign was limited - only 5 in 21/22, and had a wage limit roughly a third of what we can now spend, whilst balancing it against only 7 outfielders over the age of 23. It ddin't make sense to sign more players aroudn the 20 year mark when that wasn't what our squad needed. The other major factor during this period was the number of youths coming through which negated the need to sign young players from other clubs. This isn't something you can credit to Rotherham.

It matters not.

We needed a striker, we didn't sign one, we had a chance of top 2 and to be fair still do, chances of that happening diminish by the day however.

Whatever reasons and whoever is it blame, the club failed.

We may fluke promotion and this is purely a dropped stitch in life's tapestry (to quote Del Boy), or we miss out on promotion and we languish in league 1 for a 3rd season having lost Bird and the inevitable loss of Cashin.

Tis what it is.

9 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Some of the reactions on here and twitter last night were beyond a joke to be honest.

Amongst other things.

Yet if you take time to wait to hear the reasons and let the club have their say. We were two young strikers first choices, but unfortunately the clubs in question could not get cover and therefore wouldn't let them go. But apparently we have a manager who cant attract these young players because no premier league manager would trust Warne. 

Max Bird was leaving anyway. It really sounds like even if we had got promoted this season, he would have gone. He has been here for a long time. He wants a fresh challenge. Simple as that. No ulterior motives, no hate of the manager, he just wants a fresh challenge.

A deal agreed with a striker, all pretty much done, till at 8pm the gaffer of the club in question pulls the plug. What can we do about that?

We knew of every striker available, we left no stone unturned. But we just couldn't get one done. Despite trying our best and essentially having one agreed until the plug gets pulled at the 11th hour.

We clearly had a but of money left to bring one in, but through no fault of the manager or the club, it has not happened.

Yet yesterday the club, the manager got dogs abuse for failing to get a striker in.

Washington and Waghorn will be back in 3 weeks. You have Barkhuizen that can play through the middle, NML if needed. In the next 5 games we have one midweek game, so the others are all a full week apart. Plenty of times for Collins to recover.

We have ended the window with a better midfield than when we started & wingers that would be the envy of most clubs in this league.

UTR

Money attracts players. 

Pound to a penny if Warne had the cash Bolton spent on that guy from Bristol Rovers we wouldn't be having the same conversation about not being able to get a striker in. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't know what point you;re trying to make here. I was also critical of our signings in the past. I even gave an example earlier today when we had Forsyth, Malone, Olsson and Cole all contracted on permanent deals when we had Lowe on the fringes and Buchanan only 1 season away from his club debut. At one point we owned Evans, Johnson, Bryson, Butterfield, Holmes, Thorne, Ledley and Huddlestone (as well as loaning in Mount and King in) - we knew we had Bird, Knight and Sibley coming through, as well as Elsnik who was at least a level above them all at that moment in time.

The circustances were also different, particularly under Cocu and Rooney, when the number of players we could sign was limited - only 5 in 21/22, and had a wage limit roughly a third of what we can now spend, whilst balancing it against only 7 outfielders over the age of 23. It ddin't make sense to sign more players aroudn the 20 year mark when that wasn't what our squad needed. The other major factor during this period was the number of youths coming through which negated the need to sign young players from other clubs. This isn't something you can credit to Rotherham.

Did Rotherham have a cat 1 academy to enable them to do this ?

Point is that you are saying PW doesnt like youth players, I'm saying that there are far and few managers that have the time and luxury to take gambles on unproven players. The academy is not the managers responsibility, certainly not after only a year in charge following it being ravaged just before his tenure.

Do you really think our fanbase would have been happy with promoting youth over success, if you do, I'd suggest your kidding yourself. Once again the remit of the manager is not that, even if a new one came on tomorrow I'd doubt they'd be going down that route either.

Says it all that our biggest success recently wasn't given much time at this club by either the vocal fans or the manager, I wonder if he had a loan move to find his feet without the massive pressure, then it may have been so different. 

1 minute ago, Returning ram said:

Did Rotherham have a cat 1 academy to enable them to do this ?

Point is that you are saying PW doesnt like youth players, I'm saying that there are far and few managers that have the time and luxury to take gambles on unproven players. The academy is not the managers responsibility, certainly not after only a year in charge following it being ravaged just before his tenure.

Do you really think our fanbase would have been happy with promoting youth over success, if you do, I'd suggest your kidding yourself. Once again the remit of the manager is not that, even if a new one came on tomorrow I'd doubt they'd be going down that route either.

Says it all that our biggest success recently wasn't given much time at this club by either the vocal fans or the manager, I wonder if he had a loan move to find his feet without the massive pressure, then it may have been so different. 

Rotherham don't have a cat 1 academy but neither do Peterborough. Only 1 of those clubs conssitently recruits yougner players.

Warne had 6 years at Rotherham. How much time does a manager need to show they're willing to sign youngsters with potential?

Our academy wasn't "ravaged". There's only 6 players who would have been part of our U18 or U21 squads during Warne term as manager than have been poached. Only 1 of those would currently be deserving of a place in our first team squad. All others who moved on would have been first team squad members before Warne was appointed.

I haven't said the fansbase will be happy with choosing youth over promotion. I have however said we would be more understanding of the journey if youth were used should we fail to win promotion versus failing with older players on the decline.

The remit of the manager is to use all the tools at his disposal. The academy is a tool which should be used. We've had this same argument before, but I'll repeat it anyway. Part of a youngsters journey into men's football (particularly for L1 and Championship Cat 1 clubs) is by playing in their own club's first team prior to oing out on loan.

43 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Amongst other things.

UTR

Agree with most of what you've said but when Collins tires and needs replacing after 75 minutes tomorrow we don't have a single recognised striker at the club to replace him with.  That is unbelievably poor.

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

The Brown loan to Gateshead includes a 28 day notice call back, but if Collins gets injured this Saturday, we would wait 4 weeks to get him back!!!!

Not quite. Brown can be recalled at a moment's notice AFTER 28 days, so the earliest he would be available to Derby is the week of the Barnsley match. If Collins were to be injured this Saturday, that would mean three games.

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rotherham don't have a cat 1 academy but neither do Peterborough. Only 1 of those clubs conssitently recruits yougner players.

Warne had 6 years at Rotherham. How much time does a manager need to show they're willing to sign youngsters with potential?

Our academy wasn't "ravaged". There's only 6 players who would have been part of our U18 or U21 squads during Warne term as manager than have been poached. Only 1 of those would currently be deserving of a place in our first team squad. All others who moved on would have been first team squad members before Warne was appointed.

I haven't said the fansbase will be happy with choosing youth over promotion. I have however said we would be more understanding of the journey if youth were used should we fail to win promotion versus failing with older players on the decline.

The remit of the manager is to use all the tools at his disposal. The academy is a tool which should be used. We've had this same argument before, but I'll repeat it anyway. Part of a youngsters journey into men's football (particularly for L1 and Championship Cat 1 clubs) is by playing in their own club's first team prior to oing out on loan.

You keep talking about Pboro, it's almost as you've cherry picked them to prove a point.

So we didn't lose, Gordon, Delap, Festy etc...:players that would have been sniffing around the first team now ??

Once again I ask you, how many managers during their time at Derby sign youth, from memory I'd say Clough is probably one of the few I can think. 

The academy is a tool, but it's only your opinion that they are ready or good enough, it's not one shared at the moment by the manager or the academy team, I highlight Whittaker once again as what happens when this goes wrong. 

Also worth highlighting that Cashin, who has signed a new contract has also broke through as a regular under PW, similar to Bird, although I guess they don't count 😏

1 hour ago, Goldstar said:

Might i suggest you save such anger for actual important issues in life? As I said it wasn't an accusation, just wondering whether it was a good bit of PR at the time.

I would have thought we learnt our lesson on 100% trusting local lads in charge. Or just because he saved the club should he be exempt from anything other than blind faith? 

I think you’re a red dog, I’m not accusing you I’m just surmising.

You think this football club isn’t important, where were you when we almost went out of business.

It was said not long after we were took over, how long would it be before people are questioning the motives of the owner and here you are, so what is your motive.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Given our propensity to go shopping for one type of player but come back from the shops with another type, buying a player as cover obviously doesn’t have to be anything like the player he is covering!

I'd take a listen to Warne's interview. 

Seems he was quite close to getting exactly what he wanted.