Vaping Trick or Treaters

Day

Took my 4yr old trick or treating for the first time this year.

Only knocked at houses that were decorated, ignored the others. Had great fun.

Where I live we distribute double-sided posters to everyone to put in their windows. One side which says trick or treaters welcome, other side saying not. Makes it much easier!

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Apparently, we had precisely zero trick-or-treaters this year (the Memsahib was at home whilst I was wallowing in the glory of our victory at PPS). Looks like I'm porking out on Haribos for the next few weeks.

just drive to the nearest playground and offer the kids some sweeties. What could possibly go wrong?

35 minutes ago, David said:

Context. We have zero decorations. Reason they stood back was Jax goes nuts when the door bell goes off.

But yeah, vaping. Couldn't make out the flavour, sooner they bring restrictions in to get these out of kids hands the better.

does make you wonder, how, in this day and age, with the knowledge around, how do kids start smoking and vaping? 

23 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

does make you wonder, how, in this day and age, with the knowledge around, how do kids start smoking and vaping? 

The irony is that we had so many trick or treaters this year that we ran out of sweets (and we had a massive tub full to start with)

In the end I was just giving out fags to all the kids as I couldn't stand to see their disappointed faces

32 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Parents.

And I don't mean that disrespectfully.

All it takes is one parent that will happily smoke/vape with their kids around as they grow up, pinches a couple to take to school, mates try as it's naughty so cool. 

Some of those kids will think not for me, others find a taste for it, older, new mates, try this and so on.

Neither of my parents smoked, all I can recall is as above, a lad brought some to school, we all tried. Few months later I was doing my paper round in the winter with a B&H thinking I was the dogs nuts.

As much as you tell your kids that smoking, drinking alcohol, drugs, tattoos, piercings etc. are not good and don't do it, if they see you do it, chances are they will at some point try it themselves.

Now with vapes, all the fruity flavours, bright colours, no having to down a pack of mints and cover yourself in a full can of lynx deodorant after a fag to avoid getting caught by your parents. It's so much easier. 

Let's be honest, some of these pop up shops that sell mobile phone sims, vapes, are not overly bothered by ID checks. Buying cider and 20 fags has never been a problem for 14 year olds. 

10 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Kids don't smoke cigs anywhere near as much these days. It's bordering on socially unacceptable.

The rise of disposable vapes has been ridiculously quick. There also isn't as much concrete knowledge on the harmful effects.

36 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Kids don't smoke cigs anywhere near as much these days. It's bordering on socially unacceptable.

The rise of disposable vapes has been ridiculously quick. There also isn't as much concrete knowledge on the harmful effects.

Surely the harmful effects of nicotine are already well known though?

37 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Vapes should have been nicotine flavour only, available only to those who had been to a GP and registered as a smoker.  No huge tax revenues in that though.  The government only get interested when it goes underground and they're losing revenue as per.  The fact that they're full of lead and stink like bubble gum is incidental to the revenue being lost.

10 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Another fecking Americanism that's crept over the pond...have a good day yall 

Not sure about that , when I was a kid Halloween was massive with Scottish families , we did the visit houses for sweets thing but it wasn’t called trick or treating, we were having this debate with a few friends and the English mates seemed to think it was a recent American import but an Irish friend said it was massive with the Irish too when he was a kid , we are in our sixties so we are talking 50 odd years ago

48 minutes ago, Archied said:

Not sure about that , when I was a kid Halloween was massive with Scottish families , we did the visit houses for sweets thing but it wasn’t called trick or treating, we were having this debate with a few friends and the English mates seemed to think it was a recent American import but an Irish friend said it was massive with the Irish too when he was a kid , we are in our sixties so we are talking 50 odd years ago

Heard someone on the radio saying that the origins actually date back to medieval times - apparently the 'trick' part was originally to 'do' a trick rather than 'play' one (i.e. sing a song or suchlike...)