Vaping Trick or Treaters

Day

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Not sure about that , when I was a kid Halloween was massive with Scottish families , we did the visit houses for sweets thing but it wasn’t called trick or treating, we were having this debate with a few friends and the English mates seemed to think it was a recent American import but an Irish friend said it was massive with the Irish too when he was a kid , we are in our sixties so we are talking 50 odd years ago

It's grown over the years, I'm 67 and as a kid growing up in Chadd in the 60s bonfire night was the attraction, Benwell and Standard fireworks, Halloween meant nowt, No pumpkins, No door knocking and getting sweats, It wasn't on the calendar 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Nowhere near as bad as the effects of tobacco though, presumably?

Not just nicotine. That's what the gum and other 'aids' were meant to help with, the main 'draw' of fags, the physical addiction from the nicotine. So now you have the same addiction but with other added extras from the things they put in vapes. Worse than fags, don't know yet. Differently bad for you I would suggest. Plus the nicotine is potentially worse as the amount you get isn't regulated in vapes is my limited view?

Edit: seems Cancer Research are 'backing' vapes! That's instead of fags, of course! 😄

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/smoking-and-cancer/is-vaping-harmful

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Not sure about that , when I was a kid Halloween was massive with Scottish families , we did the visit houses for sweets thing but it wasn’t called trick or treating, we were having this debate with a few friends and the English mates seemed to think it was a recent American import but an Irish friend said it was massive with the Irish too when he was a kid , we are in our sixties so we are talking 50 odd years ago

It used to be turnips for carved lanterns.

https://www.nts.org.uk/stories/6-scottish-halloween-traditions

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It used to be turnips for carved lanterns.

Being a country bumpkin, we used cow turnips nicked from the nearest field where they were growing, (I'd never seen a pumpkin as a kid).

The feckers took hours to carve as they're as hard as concrete. Also had the added 'bonus' of several cut fingers from blunt pen-knife misshaps!

Edited by Grumpy Git