Joey Barton sacked

Gaspode

He's properly gone off the deep end, I guess he's seeing himself as the last great people's champion.

I don't mind railing against crap punditry, but to act as if women pundits have the monopoly on talking nonsense is just wrong. It's fine to have an opinion, but what he's spouting is outright vitriolic and personal, and it's little wonder it's inspiring hateful messages and death threats.

I've disagreed with pundits, but to compare Eni Aluko to facist dictators? 

28 minutes ago, jameso said:

I wasn't actually struggling - more enjoying the ambiguity since your complaint against one could equally apply to the other

If you don't like Vine, whoever he is, fair enough, but could you perhaps engage with someone who actually gives a f***.

Unambiguous enough for you?

17 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Was pretty tragic listening to Lucy Ward a couple of weeks ago talking about the death threats and extreme abuse she gets from being a...let me check...woman pundit on men's football.

This is certainly a good point to reflect on

Of those people who clearly have a problem with female pundits based on their gender - how many of you have had actual death threats for simply doing your job? 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Of those people who clearly have a problem with female pundits based on their gender - how many of you have had actual death threats for simply doing your job? 

*Caveat - this is in no way aimed at folk on here who are just not keen on certain female presenters/pundits*

I think what is slightly disturbing is the sheer intensity of the reaction that you get from a very small minority of men. If I hear a male pundit whose assessment I strongly disagree with, I just roll my eyes and say "Nah, b***ocks" and if its so annoying that I really can't listen to any more then I might switch over until they've gone away and think "What a c***womble". What I don't do is stalk and repeatedly harass them on social media with the most disgusting and distressing threats. These guys seem to reserve that sort of fanatical vitriolic abuse for women and frankly it must be terrifying to be on the receiving end of because you are never completely sure whether it is just some saddo shooting their mouth off from behind the anonymity of their PC, or some absolute fruitloop who is going to turn up at your workplace with a shovel in the boot of their car 😞... all because you are a woman and you thought a goal should have stood.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

I believe Albert Pierrpoint had a few 😁

47 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

I think what is slightly disturbing is the sheer intensity of the reaction that you get from a very small minority of men. If I hear a male pundit whose assessment I strongly disagree with, I just roll my eyes and say "Nah, b***ocks" and if its so annoying that I really can't listen to any more then I might switch over until they've gone away and think "What a c***womble". What I don't do is stalk and repeatedly harass them on social media with the most disgusting and distressing threats. These guys seem to reserve that sort of fanatical vitriolic abuse for women and frankly it must be terrifying to be on the receiving end of because you are never completely sure whether it is just some saddo shooting their mouth off from behind the anonymity of their PC, or some absolute fruitloop who is going to turn up at your workplace with a shovel in the boot of their car 😞... all because you are a woman and you thought a goal should have stood.

That's certainly the extreme end of it, but more common is the casual sexism at play. As many on here have pointed out - there are good pundits and bad pundits. If you bring their gender into it - that is sexism, whether intentional or not. Even if you try and defend it with a typical line of "I can't be sexist against women - some of my wives have been women" etc

All Barton is doing is showing himself up as the aggressive gobshite he has always been. His career is littered with incidents of violent and abusive behavior. He's a complete clown and the best thing everyone can do is ignore him and not give his idiotic tweets the oxygen to breath.

On 11/01/2024 at 21:01, Comrade 86 said:

Bit of a liberty calling anyone else a nonce really given he's been unable to keep his hands off kids in the past 👀 

Jeezus, what an horrific choice to take sides with or against, Barton or Vine.  Trump or Johnson, Davies or Jewell, Forest or Leeds would all have  been easier.

'Shudder"

On 09/01/2024 at 02:42, YorkshireRam said:

Genuine question then: do you think stature as an ex-professional player is a more important qualification for the role of pundit, than being able to speak eloquently about football? 

Just wondering why the people providing commentary and analysis need to be ''relevant''? I'd much rather hear a complete nobody provide tactical insight where I learn something, than I would watch someone clumsily stumble through cliches, who's only there because they used to be a pro...

I agree that it's often far more insightful listening to a tactical expert (e.g. Michael Cox) than, say, Michael Owen.

There are exceptions though. Gary Neville's new series, Stick to Football, is absolutely brilliant, and a lot of it is Neville, Carragher, Keane, Wright and Jill Scott talking about their playing days.

20 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Jeezus, what an horrific choice to take sides with or against, Barton or Vine.  Trump or Johnson, Davies or Jewell, Forest or Leeds would all have  been easier.

'Shudder"

He’s a bit of a prat but what has Vine ever done or said that comes anywhere close to Barton’s antics?

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

He’s a bit of a prat but what has Vine ever done or said that comes anywhere close to Barton’s antics?

Vine used his show to constantly criticise poor people, saying people deliberately chose to go on benefits and benefit fraud was a thing. 

He made his 10 year old daughter a shareholder in a company to reduce his tax bill whilst campaigning against genuinely poor and disabled people.

Benefit fraud costs us far less than we gain on unclaimed benefits that people are entitled to.. Tax dodging costs us billions.