Joey Barton sacked

Gaspode

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Vine used his show to constantly criticise poor people, saying people deliberately chose to go on benefits and benefit fraud was a thing. 

He made his 10 year old daughter a shareholder in a company to reduce his tax bill whilst campaigning against genuinely poor and disabled people.

Benefit fraud costs us far less than we gain on unclaimed benefits that people are entitled to.. Tax dodging costs us billions.

Does he actually “campaign” against poor and disabled people? I must have missed all the controversial stuff you are describing. Fair enough if he did but I’d still much rather try to have a sensible conversation with him than Barton.

I would also criticise people that deliberately chose to go on benefits rather than getting a job (major caveat here, I wouldn’t label everyone going on benefits in such a way. I am totally confident that the vast majority have little or no choice. Did Vine  label all benefit claimants in such a way or did he just suggest that some do it? 🤷🏻‍♂️). Also what’s so controversial about saying “benefit fraud is a thing”? It clearly is as you concede.

Regarding the cost of benefit fraud, this was estimated at £6.4b for 2022/23. So, not an insignificant amount. It is less than unclaimed benefits (£19b) but that doesn’t make it right or acceptable.

On 11/01/2024 at 08:29, Alph said:

I just chased a black kid down the street with an axe and now the police are on my case. 

Nanny state, bro. 

What is the world coming to!

Where the hell did that black kid get an axe from!  

Scary poo, bro!  

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Does he actually “campaign” against poor and disabled people? I must have missed all the controversial stuff you are describing. Fair enough if he did but I’d still much rather try to have a sensible conversation with him than Barton.

I would also criticise people that deliberately chose to go on benefits rather than getting a job (major caveat here, I wouldn’t label everyone going on benefits in such a way. I am totally confident that the vast majority have little or no choice. Did Vine  label all benefit claimants in such a way or did he just suggest that some do it? 🤷🏻‍♂️). Also what’s so controversial about saying “benefit fraud is a thing”? It clearly is as you concede.

Regarding the cost of benefit fraud, this was estimated at £6.4b for 2022/23. So, not an insignificant amount. It is less than unclaimed benefits (£19b) but that doesn’t make it right or acceptable.

Maybe its just me then but it irks me when well off people criticise those on benefits while tax dodging themselves.

42 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Maybe its just me then but it irks me when well off people criticise those on benefits while tax dodging themselves.

I totally agree if they are on benefits for the right reasons but I think it's undeniable that there is a very small minority of folk that abuse/defraud the system. 

I think most of us are hypocrits to a degree but not to the extent of the likes of Vine. 

Edited by Tamworthram

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shipley Ram said:

He seems almost reasonable in most of this interview

I've always said, Barton isn't unintelligent, he's just a genuinely nasty piece of work. As others have said, the type of person I'd have been ashamed to have had playing for my club. This is the guy who stubbed a lit cigar in a youth player's eyelid, nearly blinding him. I don't really care if he occasionally makes valid points (even a broken clock etc.), we should be actively pushing for his removal from the game, as due to his transgressions, he's not a credible voice of authority on anything, oh except bigotry.

I agree with Barton on female ex players moving into commentary, but only in certain roles. In terms of presenters or play by play commentators or match reporters there should be no issue with females in the role since it's been established that first hand experience as a player isn't required to perform this job well. It's a bit different once we get into the colour commentator and post match analysis roles. For better or worse the precedent exists that these roles apparently require first hand experience of having played the game at a certain level. The counter argument made is that the mechanics of the game are the same whether its played by men or women, so an ex female player should be just as capable. But by that logic, aren't the mechanics of the game the same between Premier League and National League (tier 5)? Yet, it would be unthinkable for Sky/ITV/BBC to pack a studio with guys who had only ever played at tier 5 or below.

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Only because of the class system

I would genuinely watch it, if all the pundits were real grass roots folk and not just celebrity morons

That's a valid argument. I've said previously in this thread that I rarely pay any attention to punditry because it's saturated with boring ex pros. My problem is that the TV executives think they're solving an issue by replacing boring male ex pros with boring female ex pros.

Surely it's more an old boys network, rather than a class system though? I'd have a hard time arguing that Rio Ferdinand is a blue blood.

23 minutes ago, Anon said:

Surely it's more an old boys network, rather than a class system though? I'd have a hard time arguing that Rio Ferdinand is a blue blood.

You could say that. Although Rio's generation of players are largely from working class backgrounds, they were the first to became insanely rich off the back of being a footballer, without having to be really world class

Now we're at a point where I suspect even Championship level players earn more in a couple of seasons that I'll probably earn in my working life. The notion of "footballer" being a working class profession is long gone

1 hour ago, Anon said:

But by that logic, aren't the mechanics of the game the same between Premier League and National League (tier 5)? Yet, it would be unthinkable for Sky/ITV/BBC to pack a studio with guys who had only ever played at tier 5 or below.

Granted women’s football is at a lower level, but playing for England in a World Cup final, or winning a euros, has got to be worth something. The pressure on being in games like that has got to put you somewhere on a par with male England internationals. Makes me laugh that Barton, with his one England cap or whatever, has a go at women with champions medals. He’s closer to that tier 5 level than a lot of the girls he criticises. 

3 hours ago, Anon said:

I agree with Barton on female ex players moving into commentary, but only in certain roles. In terms of presenters or play by play commentators or match reporters there should be no issue with females in the role since it's been established that first hand experience as a player isn't required to perform this job well. It's a bit different once we get into the colour commentator and post match analysis roles. For better or worse the precedent exists that these roles apparently require first hand experience of having played the game at a certain level. The counter argument made is that the mechanics of the game are the same whether its played by men or women, so an ex female player should be just as capable. But by that logic, aren't the mechanics of the game the same between Premier League and National League (tier 5)? Yet, it would be unthinkable for Sky/ITV/BBC to pack a studio with guys who had only ever played at tier 5 or below.

Although you seem to be chopping and changing in your opinion I think I get the gist of what you’re saying.

Surely the main reason Sky/ITV/BBC wouldn’t pack guys (or gals) that had only ever played at tier 5 or below is because they wouldn’t have the “celebrity” status that they seem to crave not because such people aren’t qualified to give a valid critique of a game. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's funny that Barton's own logic removes him from the conversation. Do I want to listen to a guy who had bags of talent but didn't achieve half as much as he could have because he's a violent thug? He arguably stopped playing at a top level by, what, 26? And mainly because he kept assaulting people or pointlessly arguing with managers. If he had a redemption arc, there would be some value to his story but he seems to be the same d*ckhead he was 20 years ago. But you can make a career these days by appealing to the online manosphere and saying click-baity things, which I guess is easier for him than trying to be a really good football manager. I've got a feeling he'll retire with 'once got Bristol Rovers promoted in 3rd place' as his only managerial achievement, alongside his single England cap.

For the record, I think most punditry is awful, and 90% of football coverage is garbage. Are there some crap female pundits? Certainly. Are there hundreds of crap male pundits? Yep, only most of them.

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2024 at 21:14, G STAR RAM said:

Been flicking channels and my choices are Troy Deeney, Clinton Morrison and Stuart Broad?!?! or Alan Shearer.

Would be interested to hear Bartons thoughts on them!

I'd rather not be subjected to any of Barton's thoughts on anything. Even though I don't follow him on any sort of social media I can't escape the t***** because so many other people amplify his nonsense.

As for Deeney, I'm amazed he's showing his face so soon after the farce he was involved in at FGR!

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta