Derby County vs Stevenage (A) Match Thread

Idiakez

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Just seen warne say during an interveiw after todays game, that "we've played sintilating football at times this season."

I'm completely lost for words.

He also said there is no middle ground, we’re either excellent or quite poor.

We were good (for half an hour so) against Peterborough and we played well against Blackpool but I’m struggling to recall any occasions when we have been excellent. I’ve not been in the Warne out camp up until now (I’m big enough to admit I was wrong but I still hope he can turn it around) but FFS, why can’t he say it as it is? We have often been poor and we’ve been good in very short spells but most of the time (when not poor) we’ve been OK bordering on meh at best.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Unfortunately I think Warne’s time is up now.

I don’t think it’s an impossible position to recover. We have plenty of time to find form, claw back points and find ourselves in the top six. We could win both games in hand and be in 6th, for example.

The problem for Warne is the goodwill has gone and it’s the hardest to get back once it’s slipped away and results like today only cement the ill feelings.

The scenes post match v Shrewsbury either tend to be the beginning of the end or to stir up a reaction. To deliver that today against a newly promoted side from League 2, irrespective of form and the momentum they are riding, is surely the nail in the coffin.

I think he has tried his best in challenging circumstances but clearly something is not right and Clowes has to act. We just haven’t clicked.

The trouble is that the new man can’t bring in any players until January, so there’s the danger that things might get worse before they get better.

Just aiming for the top 6 isn't good enough and was never the target anyway. I remember warne even saying in pre season the target is automatic promotion. 

We have probably the best squad in the division. Why would that be a problem for a potential new manager?

2 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Just aiming for the top 6 isn't good enough and was never the target anyway. I remember warne even saying in pre season the target is automatic promotion. 

We have probably the best squad in the division. Why would that be a problem for a potential new manager?

The best squad in the division? What is this based on?

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

We were good (for half an hour so) against Peterborough and we played well against Blackpool but I’m struggling to recall any occasions when we have been excellent. I’ve not been in the Warne out camp up until now (I’m big enough to admit I was wrong but I still hope he can turn it around) but FFS, why can’t he say it as it is? We have often been poor and we’ve been good in very short spells but most of the time (when not poor) we’ve been OK bordering on meh at best.

That's my main issue I think, his inability to see (or unwillingness to admit) that we're pretty terrible in most games. It insults the intelligence of our fans to suggest otherwise. Unlike Warne, we've seen some brilliant football being played at Derby, and we know what it looks like. His post match interviews are like reading 1984.

Paul Warne told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was his final, most essential command.

8 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

We don’t have the best squad in the division at all. I’d take Portsmouth’s, Peterborough’s Barnsley’s Boltons over ours. Still want warne out but this squad has vast limitations 

Edited by Barney1991

25 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

This connection? Not sure about that

its purely results driven though isnt it

i mean we win the next 4 games and were all singing about Nathaniels wang again and feeling good about ourselves and the club 

not buying that ..

It's not irreparable of course not and there's much bigger issues in the world but seeing as we're on here discussing Derby that doesn't come into play. However, it definitely has affected my opinion of him. One word, tactless. 

8 minutes ago, SSD said:

I will admit I've had abit of fun at Paul Warne's expense. Harsh, however I feel more sorry for those poor supporters who have spent a lot of money going away to Cheltenham, Shrewsbury and now Stevenage to watch complete utter dross. It is not big headed, we should be dominating these teams. I keep banging on about how large our budgets are vs the rest of the league, this gives Warne a big advantage to make the team as competitive as possible with all these resources at his disposal. And he's just not getting the maximum out of this squad.

Nearly a third of the way through the season and he's won back to back games once. We cannot build any momentum. It is constantly one step forward and two back. I thought Exeter was going to be the start of playing some really good football, creating changes and finishing lesser teams off comfortably. Today we revert back to a nervy shell of misery. The playoffs aren't far away at this point, then again we are 3 points away from 16th. Absolutely embarrassing and even the most positive of supporters can't hide from this. 

We could play the long game, stick things out and pray for some dramatic change in form where we go on a 5 match winning streak and put us back in the hunt at Christmas. The team is so far away from winning even 3 in a row. We have no idea which Derby is going to turn up on a match day. I really hope something clicks and we power up the league. But deep down in my gut, ever since that Port Vale home defeat awhile ago last season, bar a couple of good matches, I feel this team has been horrible to watch under this manager. No quality, mediocrity now setting in and pretending to play like an underdog with really technical players has not worked.

This manager hasn't got to grips with understanding that you cannot play such pragmatic football when you have such a big budget and expect clapping and cheering when things are going poorly. Evolve your ideas, have some more faith in the players to try and dominate the ball. But he is stuck in his "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ways and now his arrogant attitude in the media interviews is starting to really grind my teeth. I have no more faith in Paul Warne, I'm going for the sake of supporting my club. I won't boo him out of the building. But he has to come up with bright ideas quickly or more supporters will turn on him and not keep their opinions to themselves at the ground. I fear things will turn nasty and this benefits no party involved at the club.

I have had jobs in my life where it wasn't the right fit, I didn't settle in well. Maybe it's the same with PW.

What would the league table look like if you somehow looked at points gained per game so far and budget - points per game per pound spent?

I suspect we’d be pretty near the bottom at the moment although games in hand may make it a bit prettier.

Anyone itk with budgets fancy working it out?

Wasn't particularly impressed by Warne's post match interview. 

Being reminded by the interviewer that it's his job to get the best out of the players.

Basically saying that he told the players before the game what to expect, how to play etd but they didn't follow his advice. 

Saying that although it was a 3-1 reverse the scoreline didn't reflect how Derby played.

Starts to remind me of every post match defeat when Paul Jewell was in charge, basically rinse and repeat but nothing different the next game apart from a loss again. 

Needs to start realising he's accountable for what happens on the pitch and quickly cos I can't see us removing him but he seems to be quickly developing teflon shoulders 

2 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

What would the league table look like if you somehow looked at points gained per game so far and budget - points per game per pound spent?

I suspect we’d be pretty near the bottom at the moment although games in hand may make it a bit prettier.

Anyone itk with budgets fancy working it out?

I'm basing this more on what Mr Clowes said in the summer when he said a competitive budget was set with the aim to be challenging for promotion. To me, looking at the issues Reading and Wigan have had financially plus Blackpool having a smaller wage budget than ourselves in the championship last year, we're a strong favourite in this regard.

Sonny Bradley must be on a few quid I'm sure and Hourihane.

23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

it just makes the situation even worse in that he now seems slightly deluded as to whats actually going on. 

18 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I would understand you if we had finished 3rd or 4th last season, but we finished 7th. So top 6 is a step forward, like it or not.

We finished behind Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough. Blackpool always looked best placed to compete from the relegated sides. So that’s at least three strong teams we need to outdo. Then you always have teams that surprise and emerge from the pack - this year the two being Portsmouth and Oxford.

Saying anything but 2nd is a failure would be fair if we had a group of players overwhelmingly better than the rest but I don’t see that personally and results tend to back that up unfortunately.

I'm not sure how last seasons position dictates what success would be this season. It just means Warne has failed two seasons in a row.

Why are you listing Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough like they're amazing teams that it's natural we'd finish behind? We were the odds on favourites for promotion at the start of the season. 

If you think the players aren't good enough that's your opinion, which I disagree with. But if they're not good enough, isn't that partly Warnes fault as well?

17 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Possibly true, but sad.

Why sad? I don’t get why it’s sad. 

He’s dragging our beloved club to its knees and he’s hiding from the facts. 

He needs to walk away from a club that’s already had a rough 3 years. But instead he will wait to have a good proportion of his remaining 3 years paid off and walk straight into another job. 

Please don’t feel sad, feel mad instead.