Derby County vs Stevenage (A) Match Thread

Idiakez

7 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Lots of ball. More shots. Less than them on target. Their XG 1.89, ours 0.77. They play the type of "industrial" football Derby struggle with. They also have the skill to play "proper" football as proven by their 3rd goal. They can vary their play, we, apparently, can't. That's the difference.

Did Foz play the ball first when he got booked and they scored from the free kick? I though he did.

Did CH commit a foul for the free kick for their 2nd? I didn't think he did.

Was Wash fouled and should that have been a penalty? Hard one to call. It was one of those that would be given half the time. Am I the only one who thinks it would have been given at the other end?

Warne saying Northampton are another good side. They are only out of the drop zone on goal difference. That game on Tuesday at PP has to be a really convincing victory. Anything less than that and the levels of toxicity will hit record heights and understandably so.

Many will disagree with this next sentence. We have the players to make a very good side. We have seen that in just 3, maybe 4 games this season. Games in which the opposition tried to play football the way Derby fans like the game to be played. Solving the struggle against "industrial" sides is the key to success. I had hoped Fornah might be the solution but after some positive performances he seemed to go off the boil.

Couldn't agree more, we have a decent squad but, I think, a manager who is now out of his depth. I don't think it's a coincidence that Fornah among others appear to be going backwards under Warne's leadership.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but the body language of the players for the 3rd goal was desperate, they were all at sea. The response of whoever was playing left back at that point (Collins? Waghorn, Lord Lucan??) was eye opening.

11 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Yer the same barkhauzen who if had been any good would have been offered a new deal at preston or would have taken up one of the offers he could have signed 6 months before the end of his contract .. yer thats the one 

Players can only sign pre-contract deals in January with clubs outside of England, so I don’t know how likely it is that Barkhuizen would have signed with anyone in that particular circumstance. 
Also, he may have chosen not to renew his contract, it’s a two way street, it doesn’t mean he wasn’t offered a new deal as they didn’t rate him, it could easily have been a mutual parting of the ways, both parties trying something different. 

I agree with some of your views at times but think you’re doing Barkhuizen a disservice, he’s a decent enough footballer at this level. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not the players, it's how they are set up to play.

Above I posted some match stats. We made 23 crosses with an accuracy of 8.7%! Why did we keep on doing that?!

Our goal came from Max 'soft underbelly' Bird dummying Sibs midfield pass for NML to score!

The second half defined what Warne is about - tell me who was playing where doing what?! No wonder we look such a mess, we are a chaotic scrum of players!!!

Do you think Max soft under- belly Bird is going to save Warne’s job with his 1 goal a season and 2 assists ? 

Very disappointing.  First half was poor and I can understand the change in formation.  Second half started OK and created a really good chance early on.  But why did Washington feel the need to sit on the floor while play was going on around him??!!  The continual changing baffled me.  By the time Ward came on at around 80mins he was our 4th RWB in the space of 35mins.  Not only that, each substitution wasn’t a straight swap, it involved moving other players into different positions.  The players must be so confused when they see who’s going off and who’s coming on.  Unfortunately, that smacks of desperation.

I can kind of get PW’s comment about soft underbelly.  But I don’t get that he says he doesn’t know how to fix it - boxing gloves isn’t the answer!!  A few of us last season were saying we were losing midfield battles.  We need a Savage, Daryl Powell, Graeme Shinnie type.  A battler to win it back then give it to the likes of Bird, Hourihane, Sibley, etc to get the play going.  Then the footballers can shine because they can focus on what they’re best at.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

3 minutes ago, Topram said:

Still can’t believe that Washington didn’t shoot straight after half time, could have changed the game, then ward later on, why are they scared to shoot?

I often wonder if it’s a confidence thing?
NML has looked a bit more like his best at times in the last couple of games and has scored two well taken goals. For all the criticism he gets, Washington’s goal on Tuesday night was pretty decent in my view, took on a couple and drilled it in at the near post, you’d think that would give him confidence but then he hesitates like in that moment you referred to and I can’t work it out. 
Phil Brown praised their cb highly after the game on radio Derby, said words to the effect of none of our forwards fancied it after the cb had imposed himself. That might have knocked the tiny bit of confidence out of Washington. 
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but on reflection I think Warne would have been better starting Collins and Fornah for that initial “fight”, I get he doesn’t like changing a winning team but seems like a bit of physicality was needed to ride out the battles before playing a bit of football. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Provide that stats that back that view up. We made the most fouls. Well their defenders would 'hoof' it up the pitch after our continual bombardment of crosses. That was how they scored their third goal no doubt. Did you see it, awful football on the deck.

Not talking about their third goal and I watched the first 70 minutes. 

Im not criticising them as it’s got them 3 points. But they have definitely perfected the art of playing at home on a narrow pitch in that manner.

14 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I’m saying he shouldn’t wait to get the sack, he should walk so the club don’t have to pay him a penny. 

Would you be saying similar if he had done fantastic and a club was trying to poach him with him screaming that we should let him go without compo for him ? Of course you wouldn’t , you would be calling him a selfish greedy Judas , whether it’s time for him to go or not is a different agreement but the reason managers and clubs sign contracts is to safeguard themselves whichever way it goes ,

your post is absolute nonesense 

Well I have to confess that I had a bit of a manic day yesterday, watched the game on rtv but kind of with one eye as lots going on so can’t really form a proper view of the game as a one off that I’m comfortable in putting forward but I am getting more and more disappointed, we can’t string two performances/ results together , personally I believe it’s a mix of warne and the players are not as good as we/I have believed , better players have a bit of a consistency about them and we really arnt seeing that

it matters not though as the simple fact is it’s just not happening and warne is struggling to settle at a bigger club coupled with the fact that the fans are not really taking to him , we may be at the point where it just can’t be turned around , ive said after the Exeter game that on really a run of results gets warne out of bother and I’m not sure how that’s going to come about , he seems a bit lost and going into his shell with the players also looking lost , the expectation and pressure may just be too much for warne and a fair few of these players ,

I think warne will be goon fairly soon 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

2 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

This just shows what Warne is all about we get beat playing very little football and his answer is run more be more physical etc how about try and play some football ? I’m sick of this garbage being served up.

That's something that's concerned me since early in his reign, his only answers to problems are:

1) work harder

2) be more aggressive

3) get more crosses in

That's it. Right in his first interview there were comments he made that worried his view of the game tactically was narrow and all we've seen since backs that up.

40 minutes ago, Archied said:

Would you be saying similar if he had done fantastic and a club was trying to poach him with him screaming that we should let him go without compo for him ? Of course you wouldn’t , you would be calling him a selfish greedy Judas , whether it’s time for him to go or not is a different agreement but the reason managers and clubs sign contracts is to safeguard themselves whichever way it goes ,

your post is absolute nonesense 

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

19 minutes ago, Archied said:

Well I have to confess that I had a bit of a manic day yesterday, watched the game on rtv but kind of with one eye as lots going on so can’t really form a proper view of the game as a one off that I’m comfortable in putting forward but I am getting more and more disappointed, we can’t string two performances/ results together , personally I believe it’s a mix of warne and the players are not as good as we/I have believed , better players have a bit of a consistency about them and we really arnt seeing that

it matters not though as the simple fact is it’s just not happening and warne is struggling to settle at a bigger club coupled with the fact that the fans are not really taking to him , we may be at the point where it just can’t be turned around , ive said after the Exeter game that on really a run of results gets warne out of bother and I’m not sure how that’s going to come about , he seems a bit lost and going into his shell with the players also looking lost , the expectation and pressure may just be too much for warne and a fair few of these players ,

I think warne will be goon fairly soon 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just for reference @Archied this is a full stop . 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I often wonder if it’s a confidence thing?
NML has looked a bit more like his best at times in the last couple of games and has scored two well taken goals. For all the criticism he gets, Washington’s goal on Tuesday night was pretty decent in my view, took on a couple and drilled it in at the near post, you’d think that would give him confidence but then he hesitates like in that moment you referred to and I can’t work it out. 
Phil Brown praised their cb highly after the game on radio Derby, said words to the effect of none of our forwards fancied it after the cb had imposed himself. That might have knocked the tiny bit of confidence out of Washington. 
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but on reflection I think Warne would have been better starting Collins and Fornah for that initial “fight”, I get he doesn’t like changing a winning team but seems like a bit of physicality was needed to ride out the battles before playing a bit of football. 

Was strange after saying all week they’ll be the toughest strongest opponents to then start with our smallest striker, if he’d of scored it we could be on here praising a good result 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not the players, it's how they are set up to play.

Above I posted some match stats. We made 23 crosses with an accuracy of 8.7%! Why did we keep on doing that?!

Our goal came from Max 'soft underbelly' Bird dummying Sibs midfield pass for NML to score!

The second half defined what Warne is about - tell me who was playing where doing what?! No wonder we look such a mess, we are a chaotic scrum of players!!!

It is the players though Roy. For example if Steve McLaren came in today and tried to set us up to play his 13/14 style how many players would you keep in that squad. I’d probably say cashin and bird sibley maybe. 

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Still can’t believe that Washington didn’t shoot straight after half time, could of changed the game, then ward later on, why are they scared to shoot?

Look at the way Collins has been crucified on here for daring to shoot when he could have played Barks in on goal....

Players are clearly not immune to social media and this forum (look at NMLs response after his goal the other night) - the toxicity in our 'fanbase' would make the best players think twice (and we don't have the best players by a long shot.....)

27 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

It is the players though Roy. For example if Steve McLaren came in today and tried to set us up to play his 13/14 style how many players would you keep in that squad. I’d probably say cashin and bird sibley maybe. 

Wildsmith

Nyambe/Ward Nelson Cashin/Fozzy Elder/(or U21)

Bird Smith/Fornah Hourihane

NML/Wilson Waggy Barks/Sibley

or variations on that theme. Sibs or Barks as a false 9. Lots of opportunity to play a decent system and some football on the grass.

Edited by RoyMac5

39 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That's something that's concerned me since early in his reign, his only answers to problems are:

1) work harder

2) be more aggressive

3) get more crosses in

That's it. Right in his first interview there were comments he made that worried his view of the game tactically was narrow and all we've seen since backs that up.

That sad fact is you could learn everything you ever needed to know about Paul Warne just by listening to the Moment of Truth podcast, both good and bad.

I've seen people note that he said at his first press conference or interview something along the lines of "if you have good footballer, you try to play good football"; we have good footballers, yet we're no longer trying to play good football. Not in any game where the opposition isn't considerably weaker than us anyway, and even then not always.

I don't blame Clowes for appointing him because I assume that in interviews for the job he'll have said similar things, stated a willingness to adapt, convinced his new employer that he's capable of growth as a manager whilst delivering a team which capable of achieving promotion with his time at Rotherham clearly evidencing the latter.

In reality it's been 13 months and he's not showing enough (if any) signs of doing either of those things, all the while appearing rattled every time he's questions. When the facade drops, what's left?

Edited by Kokosnuss