Derby County vs Stevenage (A) Match Thread

Idiakez

9 minutes ago, Paultheram said:

I honestly think we have got the players that are capable to do so much better if they were played in the right positions and told to play football.

Forget this b******* about been aggressive, just play football!!!

For example.. barks and NML have bags of pace so use it, 

CH further up pitch to create rather than having 100 touch’s infront of the back 4

I dont.

barks is a poor excuse of a footballer

theyre fast… so what? 
barks was offside about 10 times in 5 minutes last weekend. He cant find a white shirt at any higher rate than one in 4

he got shown the door by a pretty below average championship side and wasnt able to find a club that were willing to pull the plug and sign him (us) til the final 2 weeks of the transfer window

hes a terrible footballer

ditto collins 

Edited by NottsRam77

7 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I dont.

theyre fast… so what? 
barks was offside about 10 times in 5 minutes last weekend. He cant find a white shirt at any higher rate than one in 4

he got shown the door by a pretty below average championship side and wasnt able to find a club that were willing to pull the plug and sign him (us) til the final 2 weeks of the transfer window

ditto collins 

So the tatics have been long ball for them to chase.. that is not football.

We have got players in positions where they should be getting into 1 on 1 positions

i think the problem for Collins is that he try’s to hard, wether that is coming deep for the ball or chasing down lost causes.

we need him as the CF to be in and around the penalty box 

until the shackles are taken off this team won’t get results 

13 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

This just shows what Warne is all about we get beat playing very little football and his answer is run more be more physical etc how about try and play some football ? I’m sick of this garbage being served up.

I could almost accept this if we were a lovely, possession based team full of young kids. But we’re not, I don’t even know what we’re trying to be. I still wouldn’t class us as particularity long ball. We just seem to achieve very little apart from crosses.

More League 1 is about boxing rubbish from Leigh Curtis. I cannot believe he thinks our lack of goals, let alone our performance were due to not being able to 'streetfight'!

"...Let's be real. Derby are nice to watch if you let them play as proven by their performance against Exeter last week because they showed Warne's side respect. And that was fine. Max Bird was given time on the ball, so was Conor Hourihane. But when it becomes a streetfight as it did here, too many players go missing. The midfield in particular is so weak when faced with opposition who want to make shinpads rattle...

Some Derby fans on social media said it has been an issue for years which makes you understand why they would have loved Graeme Shinnie back. But the brutal truth is until it is solved Derby won't be going anywhere. You can't coach players to be aggressive and it does not matter who is in the dugout. It has to come from within because, at the minute, this is a team that is ill-equipped for League One warfare at places like Stevenage."

I saw no 'warfare' from Stevenage, nor rattling of shinpads, we made the most fouls apparently:

image.thumb.png.248c5494113b4815342f1be2e79c08dd.png

A more pertinent point might be our crossing accuracy from 23 crosses - 8.7%!!! Yet we kept on doing it!!!

image.thumb.png.d9b797c948bbfc6bb56b7c95660b7e28.png

14 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I dont.

theyre fast… so what? 

ditto collins 

I’m not very convinced by our squad either. Barkhuizen is ok, but nothing like consistent enough to start every week. He doesn’t start every week in possibly our worst ever team. Should tell you a lot.

forwards are really poor, Collins, Washington and waghorn really don’t inspire much. Waghorn. Had a great start but fading a little now. The fact all three have started a game each in last three again suggests warne has no idea which is the best or good enough. 

Midfield is over rated too, bird pretty much defines our “soft underbelly” for me. A nice footballer but doesn’t achieve anywhere near enough with the ball to make up for his lack of pace, lack of tackling, lack of runs from midfield.

Hourihane and Smith seem to be declining as well, again have no pace or energy and very little tackling between them.

Wingbacks we’ve signed seem average at best, Wilson seems honest and tries. Wars I can’t say. Elder looked awful early on.

Look a lot further from the championship now than we did last season.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

More League 1 is about boxing rubbish from Leigh Curtis. I cannot believe he thinks our lack of goals, let alone our performance were due to not being able to 'streetfight'!

"...Let's be real. Derby are nice to watch if you let them play as proven by their performance against Exeter last week because they showed Warne's side respect. And that was fine. Max Bird was given time on the ball, so was Conor Hourihane. But when it becomes a streetfight as it did here, too many players go missing. The midfield in particular is so weak when faced with opposition who want to make shinpads rattle...

Some Derby fans on social media said it has been an issue for years which makes you understand why they would have loved Graeme Shinnie back. But the brutal truth is until it is solved Derby won't be going anywhere. You can't coach players to be aggressive and it does not matter who is in the dugout. It has to come from within because, at the minute, this is a team that is ill-equipped for League One warfare at places like Stevenage."

I saw no 'warfare' from Stevenage, nor rattling of shinpads, we made the most fouls apparently:

A more pertinent point might be our crossing accuracy from 23 crosses - 8.7%!!! Yet we kept on doing it!!!

That's 2 accurate crosses! If that's our primary attack weapon we ain't scoring many that's for sure......

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

We’re really not nice to watch!

decision was/is needed. Bird and hourihane together is too weak. Smith offers little. 

Who are the crosses even aimed at? Collins and Washington? Hardly giants are they.

agree that I see little warfare, we’re not fit enough, quick enough or dynamic enough. Need loads more energy in the team.

1 minute ago, Rich3478 said:

I’m not very convinced by our squad either. Barkhuizen is ok, but nothing like consistent enough to start every week. He doesn’t start every week in possibly our worst ever team. Should tell you a lot.

forwards are really poor, Collins, Washington and waghorn really don’t inspire much. Waghorn. Had a great start but fading a little now. The fact all three have started a game each in last three again suggests warne has no idea which is the best or good enough. 

Midfield is over rated too, bird pretty much defines our “soft underbelly” for me. A nice footballer but doesn’t achieve anywhere near enough with the ball to make up for his lack of pace, lack of tackling, lack of runs from midfield.

Hourihane and Smith seem to be declining as well, again have no pace or energy and very little tackling between them.

Wingbacks we’ve signed seem average at best, Wilson seems honest and tries. Wars I can’t say. Elder looked awful early on.

It's not the players, it's how they are set up to play.

Above I posted some match stats. We made 23 crosses with an accuracy of 8.7%! Why did we keep on doing that?!

Our goal came from Max 'soft underbelly' Bird dummying Sibs midfield pass for NML to score!

The second half defined what Warne is about - tell me who was playing where doing what?! No wonder we look such a mess, we are a chaotic scrum of players!!!

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

It's not the players, it's how they are set up to play.

Above I posted some match stats. We made 23 crosses with an accuracy of 8.7%! Why did we keep on doing that?!

Our goal came from Max 'soft underbelly' Bird dummying Sibs midfield pass for NML to score!

The second half defined what Warne is about - tell me who was playing where doing what?! No wonder we look such a mess, we are a chaotic scrum of players!!!

I agree the set up is awful, I just think the players are perhaps not as good as being made out to be. Said yesterday how confused I was by all the substitutions. Was a mess.

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Think it’s more the street fighter style of play. We couldn’t press them yesterday because as soon as their defenders got it they hoofed it up the pitch, won the header and then played in our final third. 

Plus as soon as we sneezed on them bear the box they dropped like flies. Think we need to find the ability to survive in these types of matches and be clinical when we have our 10 minutes. Something which Rowett’s team was good at.

3 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think it’s more the street fighter style of play. We couldn’t press them yesterday because as soon as their defenders got it they hoofed it up the pitch, won the header and then played in our final third. 

Plus as soon as we sneezed on them bear the box they dropped like flies. Think we need to find the ability to survive in these types of matches and be clinical when we have our 10 minutes. Something which Rowett’s team was good at.

Provide that stats that back that view up. We made the most fouls. Well their defenders would 'hoof' it up the pitch after our continual bombardment of crosses. That was how they scored their third goal no doubt. Did you see it, awful football on the deck.

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

I dont.

theyre fast… so what? 

ditto collins 

Barkhuizen was offside only twice during his whole time on the pitch last weekend.

1 hour ago, Rich3478 said:

The issue with Collins is that if we had wingbacks capable of putting pinpoint crosses into the box then he would get his fair share of goals which speaks volumes about our wingbacks rather than Collin's capabilities.

The number of aimless lumps under the guide of crosses I counted in the game against Exeter was obscene.

Not sure about Washington as he hasn't had that much game time really. 

Totally concur about our midfield it is slow and lightweight, am sure it's capable of playing one touch passing if given the time and space or if the opposition allows which being in League 1 is a luxury which hardly ever materialises.

Lots of ball. More shots. Less than them on target. Their XG 1.89, ours 0.77. They play the type of "industrial" football Derby struggle with. They also have the skill to play "proper" football as proven by their 3rd goal. They can vary their play, we, apparently, can't. That's the difference.

Did Foz play the ball first when he got booked and they scored from the free kick? I though he did.

Did CH commit a foul for the free kick for their 2nd? I didn't think he did.

Was Wash fouled and should that have been a penalty? Hard one to call. It was one of those that would be given half the time. Am I the only one who thinks it would have been given at the other end?

Warne saying Northampton are another good side. They are only out of the drop zone on goal difference. That game on Tuesday at PP has to be a really convincing victory. Anything less than that and the levels of toxicity will hit record heights and understandably so.

Many will disagree with this next sentence. We have the players to make a very good side. We have seen that in just 3, maybe 4 games this season. Games in which the opposition tried to play football the way Derby fans like the game to be played. Solving the struggle against "industrial" sides is the key to success. I had hoped Fornah might be the solution but after some positive performances he seemed to go off the boil.

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

I dont.

theyre fast… so what? 

ditto collins 

Sorry is that the Barkhuizen we signed on the 3rd July, 3 days after his contract ran out and 2 days after the takeover was finalised? Or a different one?

2 hours ago, Paultheram said:

So the tatics have been long ball for them to chase.. that is not football.

We have got players in positions where they should be getting into 1 on 1 positions

i think the problem for Collins is that he try’s to hard, wether that is coming deep for the ball or chasing down lost causes.

we need him as the CF to be in and around the penalty box 

until the shackles are taken off this team won’t get results 

it is though isnt it, we still have to be able to move the ball on occasions and we fail to that… its mot solely back to front … how many times do we

move the ball inside to only give it away

we do still try to play.. see our equaliser yesterday .. that was football.. but the players imo arnt anywhere good enough to execute it consistently 

Re collins, U know when u try too hard at something and your still not good enough

the writing is kinda on the wall isnt it 

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

Sorry is that the Barkhuizen we signed on the 3rd July, 3 days after his contract ran out and 2 days after the takeover was finalised? Or a different one?

Yer the same barkhauzen who if had been any good would have been offered a new deal at preston or would have taken up one of the offers he could have signed 6 months before the end of his contract .. yer thats the one