Pro Warne

Jram

I’m not warne out yet but I wouldn’t be surprised or too disappointed if he went now , im not seeing any signs of him producing what he says he wants the team doing , I think he is under big pressures now in a way that he hasn’t faced before in his time at Rotherham and let’s be honest it’s only the players that can pull him out of it now , these players have enough about them to cross that white line and bust a gut to get results against the kind of opposition they are facing , he clearly is the type of bloke that treats players with decency and respect so one would hope they will run through walls for him 

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Jram said:

Anyone else still willing to give this time? Don’t seem to be many on the forum.

I don’t think we’ve been that bad (albeit I wasn’t there yesterday). Sounded like we had some good spells in the game though and we’ve had some brilliant performances (Peterborough, Blackpool)

Big squad turnover in the summer so willing to give it chance to come together. We’ve had some bad luck with injuries and decisions which will hopefully turn. 

I think some of the anti-warne sentiment is the immediate anger of losing to so-called lesser clubs but, unfortunately, we were always going to lose games across a 46 game season so no need to panic 

Even Peterborough and Blackpool, we've simply taken every chance and they have missed and hit the woodwork. 

When was the last time we really played well? I hope you've got a good memory.

I’m a bit like @Archied where I’m not full Warne out but wouldn’t be surprised if he did go.  I am starting to waver - 1 home win and 1 point from Cheltenham and Shrewsbury isn’t good enough.  Nor is 11th at pretty much the 1/4 point in the season.

I think we’re becoming too easy to play against.  Teams know we rely on getting the ball wide and crosses in, so they pack the middle and we cross to a surrounded Collins.  We have some of the best midfielders in this division but we don’t play to their strengths.  I like Warne and I like how he talks about how he wants us to play, but we see that rarely.  And I can’t work out why that is.

At the September international break I thought we needed 10 points to the October break, we got 9 so not too bad.  At that time I also thought we need to be in the top 6 by the November break.  We now have a really important period in the next 4 games and, in my view, we must win 3.  Home form has to be turned round quickly or I can see the discontent becoming more vocal.

5 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

We aren’t (and never will be) able to see out games consistently without far more emphasis on keeping the ball. 

Its the lack of cohesion (almost part of or at least a direct consequence of the plan ) which isn’t going to change - that’s what saddens me the most.

Spot on.  I can't imagine who we could appoint as manager for the football to be less easy on the eye.  We're useless at passing football now and we aren't even any good at being more direct or physical.  We did win the ball in their half a fair few times yesterday so maybe that is one area that you could say Warne has improved.  Its nowhere near making up for all the things we are now worse at though.

The team’s inability to pass the ball accurately means we fail to get any type of foothold in the game, particularly away from home.

The team lacks passion, pace and nous.

There doesn’t seem any kind of cohesion between the three parts of the team and no sense the squad is enjoying itself.

1 minute ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

PW needs to acknowledge that there is an issue rather than just rambling on, the first step in solving a problem is a acknowledgement there is a problem.

In his defence, he did do that after Notts County. He had that chat with them in the dressing room, and made it public what they'd spoken about. I think he knows it's not good enough.

I’m not baying for blood yet. As a few have mentioned, there have been factors that have impacted our start to the season. I’m not going to back PW though, or say it’s been ok performance wise, as it hasn’t. Oxford at home was one of the worst matches I’ve ever seen us (that was my last match, 2 months ago, and I’ve not missed it much)

I do think someone’s mindset effects what they see. If I’m negative about someone/thing, I’m going to be able to see and highlight the negatives with relative ease, while not noticing any positives. If it came out that PW had the next 3 games to impress/change things, I’d find that fair. If he goes by next weekend, there can also be no complaints.

I’m not calling Warne out, but I also don’t mind the fan next to me shouting it on Tuesday night. So maybe that shows my changing mind…

6 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I’m a bit like @Archied where I’m not full Warne out but wouldn’t be surprised if he did go.  I am starting to waver - 1 home win and 1 point from Cheltenham and Shrewsbury isn’t good enough.  Nor is 11th at pretty much the 1/4 point in the season.

I think we’re becoming too easy to play against.  Teams know we rely on getting the ball wide and crosses in, so they pack the middle and we cross to a surrounded Collins.  We have some of the best midfielders in this division but we don’t play to their strengths.  I like Warne and I like how he talks about how he wants us to play, but we see that rarely.  And I can’t work out why that is.

At the September international break I thought we needed 10 points to the October break, we got 9 so not too bad.  At that time I also thought we need to be in the top 6 by the November break.  We now have a really important period in the next 4 games and, in my view, we must win 3.  Home form has to be turned round quickly or I can see the discontent becoming more vocal.

Pretty much all of this for me, except yesterday convinced me he's got to go.

He has to go for me regardless! The aim this year was top 2. We are in a terrible league this year with distinctly average teams in the division. The very fact Fornah made his 1st touch in the 14th minute speaks volumes to me…. Bypass the midfield…. Get as many crosses in as possible and hope for the best. 

There’s no guile, no patterns of play just end to end garbage. Shrewsbury were by far the better team yesterday and seeing Curtis Nelson launch every throw in into the box made me think “is this all we have got?” 

Come on Clowes! Let’s get John Eustace in, play Bird as a holding midfielder and let’s get marching up the division! 

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

I was the same.  I voted not even under any pressure to go or something but not now. Trudge to home games from Cambs with no enthusiasm other than to support team as ever. I was at neither Posh nor Blackpool but comments on here from non-reactionary posters with no agenda suggested score lines papered over issues. Warne's reaction to criticism has also not been great and cemented my views. Just want him gone as the club's spirit is draining away

Have to agree. I'll be there again on Tuesday night but not with a great deal of belief that we'll put in a good performance and win comfortably (hope I'm wrong obviously).

I wasn't at Blackpool but I was at Peterborough. My recollection of the game is that we were under pressure for the first 20 minutes (as you'd expect against a likely play off contender) then had a purple patch for half an hour or so.

The second half, I seem to recall, was mostly one way traffic but I don't remember feeling particularly worried and we seemed to manage the game quite well. Obviously a three goal cushion helped. 😀

10 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

In his defence, he did do that after Notts County. He had that chat with them in the dressing room, and made it public what they'd spoken about. I think he knows it's not good enough.

I'm sure you right about him knowing its not good enough however, in the last interview I saw he was back to the "we had hard luck, we played well etc" script, the measure of the man will be if he sort the problem out, his rambling is not fooling any of us, in fact it makes him look foolish.

If you can keep your head when all about you  

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too; 

And—which is more—you’ll be a football club Manager, my son!🤣

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

9 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I’m not baying for blood yet. As a few have mentioned, there have been factors that have impacted our start to the season. I’m not going to back PW though, or say it’s been ok performance wise, as it hasn’t. Oxford at home was one of the worst matches I’ve ever seen us (that was my last match, 2 months ago, and I’ve not missed it much)

I do think someone’s mindset effects what they see. If I’m negative about someone/thing, I’m going to be able to see and highlight the negatives with relative ease, while not noticing any positives. If it came out that PW had the next 3 games to impress/change things, I’d find that fair. If he goes by next weekend, there can also be no complaints.

I’m not calling Warne out, but I also don’t mind the fan next to me shouting it on Tuesday night. So maybe that shows my changing mind…

Oxford in many ways was our best performance of the season. If you had been to all the other games (not a criticism) then you'd be negative too.

Just now, sage said:

Oxford in many ways was our best performance of the season. If you had been to all the other games (not a criticism) then you'd be negative too.

That’s interesting then, as that was dire. We just couldn’t and wouldn’t do anything in that game. Even the goal was just too late and slightly lucky.

I really struggle to see how unless you are around the club you can be certain he has to go now.

If the players are grumbling, training looks an effort to some, the geberal vibe is low, in conversation he seems to have no explanation etc..then I'd be starting to consider it.

Two or three more poor results and I'd be pushing the door open and inviting him to consider stepping through it himself if he can't seem to show any idea about how to improve.

Less than 6 points from the next 3 games and I'd be setting clear targets and saying we can't keep trotting out the same arguments.

We are in the 'not good enough' category at the moment,  not in the last chance saloon. 

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I really struggle to see how unless you are around the club you can be certain he has to go now.

If the players are grumbling, training looks an effort to some, the geberal vibe is low, in conversation he seems to have no explanation etc..then I'd be starting to consider it.

Two or three more poor results and I'd be pushing the door open and inviting him to consider stepping through it himself if he can't seem to show any idea about how to improve.

Less than 6 points from the next 3 games and I'd be setting clear targets and saying we can't keep trotting out the same arguments.

We are in the 'not good enough' category at the moment,  not in the last chance saloon. 

Why 3 more poor results. I dont get that at all.  Has done enough damage. 

I posted this a few weeks back……..suppose I better stick by it!  😃

Next run of fixtures……….six league games in October.

Blackpool, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury, Stevenage away

Exeter & Northampton at home.

If we’ve got any ambitions of getting out of this turgid division then we’ve surely got to be top six by Halloween!

Skeleton Dance Halloween GIF by Squirrel Monkey

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

The points gap is getting alarmingly greater week by week from the top two. If we don’t pick up soon we risk the top 6 gap getting greater.

Results based business and the table doesn’t lie. I was all for giving him time but the financial loss from not going up this season, with the added tv money next and what will lead to loss of ticket money if we stick with him means DC has no choice now but to take the hit and let him go.

I’d wish him all the best wherever he goes next I think he’s a decent bloke but it’s not working out.