Derby v Shrewsbury (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

On 13/10/2023 at 12:14, one_chop said:

Sibley will not start.

On 13/10/2023 at 13:31, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm certain he'll start, but most likely on the wing. It's hard to see Warne breaking up the Fornah, Smith, Bird midfield at the moment.

Exactly this. He'll "likely" (to appease @Foreveram) get 45 minutes at left wing or left back, and then be subbed off.

On 13/10/2023 at 14:31, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm certain he'll start, but most likely on the wing. It's hard to see Warne breaking up the Fornah, Smith, Bird midfield at the moment.

Unfortunately, I think he will in order to shoehorn Hourihane in and IMO CH is not worth a start on what we've seen this season.

Edited by MadAmster

59 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Chosen pre season. On performances this season, CH isn't worth a starting place. The fact that PW didn't choose him should make it easier for him to bench him.

I think CH has a role in certain types of matches.

Since 2011, nobody has scored more long range goals from outside the penalty area. This should be utilised when playing against a packed defence. He needs to find space outside the box and be picked out, rather than just aimlessly pumping crosses into the middle. Given a bit of space and time, there should be no better player in this league for being able to pick his spot.

Whether it's starting against a defensive team or coming on against a team defending a point or points.

55 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I think CH has a role in certain types of matches.

Since 2011, nobody has scored more long range goals from outside the penalty area. This should be utilised when playing against a packed defence. He needs to find space outside the box and be picked out, rather than just aimlessly pumping crosses into the middle. Given a bit of space and time, there should be no better player in this league for being able to pick his spot.

Whether it's starting against a defensive team or coming on against a team defending a point or points.

You only really need to look at the Cheltenham game. Bird came on at HT and tore them a new one for 20 minutes. PW then "has to" bring the skipper on. He takes Bird's role over and Bird gets moved forward and spent the rest of the match watching the ball sail aimlessly over his head. Why on earth was Bird moved when he was being so incredibly influential on the game?

48 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

You only really need to look at the Cheltenham game. Bird came on at HT and tore them a new one for 20 minutes. PW then "has to" bring the skipper on. He takes Bird's role over and Bird gets moved forward and spent the rest of the match watching the ball sail aimlessly over his head. Why on earth was Bird moved when he was being so incredibly influential on the game?

I feel a bit sorry for Hourihane in that one of his key skills is whipping a ball into the box for someone to run onto but we just don’t have the personnel to take advantage.

If we’d managed to get Rhodes, Hourihane would have a few more assists to his name.

I agree with other posters that he needs to shoot more from distance. More give and goes around the box to get an angle. Waghorn and Co should be able to assist.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I feel a bit sorry for Hourihane in that one of his key skills is whipping a ball into the box for someone to run onto but we just don’t have the personnel to take advantage.

If we’d managed to get Rhodes, Hourihane would have a few more assists to his name.

I agree with other posters that he needs to shoot more from distance. More give and goes around the box to get an angle. Waghorn and Co should be able to assist.

He's being played as a DM. Tackling isn't good, the speed to get back quickly enough is disappearing. We have 3 better players for that role. Smith, Fornah and Bird. He's not, IMO, a #10 so that more forward role also looks unlikely. Hence my assertion that he's not worth a starting place. 

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

He's being played as a DM. Tackling isn't good, the speed to get back quickly enough is disappearing. We have 3 better players for that role. Smith, Fornah and Bird. He's not, IMO, a #10 so that more forward role also looks unlikely. Hence my assertion that he's not worth a starting place. 

I don’t think I disagreed with you.

On 16/10/2023 at 23:10, Anag Ram said:

NML will be knackered, Collins is all effort, no finesse.

I’d go with Barkhuisen, Waghorn and Sibley, as three ‘smart’ forwards who may not get it right all of the time but who are the most likely to create something against stubborn defences.

I bet Warne struggles to sleep at night knowing that Sibley can bang goals in with his eyes shut , but does he put him in , or Bird who was “gassed out “ after 65 mins v Notts county. What about Smith who was good against Blackpool and what about the skipper?Thats why Paul and his team get paid the Big Bucks. 

Looking at the training footage it doesnt look like TJJ or Waghorn are back training yet.

I think NML coming back late from international duty makes it easy for Warne to stick with Sibley on the right. I know most want him in the 10 but he got both goals vs Notts when playing on the right.

Therefore I think we will line up as follows in a 4231 - 

Wildsmith - Nyambe Nelson Cashin Forsyth - Fornah Smith - Sibley Bird Barkhuizen - Collins

Vickers Bradley Wilson Hourihane Ward NML Washington

Very good line up & a strong bench for all positions there, thats not including Elder, TJJ & Waggy - Warne should have some decent options in the next couple of weeks.

Personally, I think we're going to hit our stride & form after this international break. We have started to play some decent stuff at times, 7 unbeaten anyway plus almost a fully fit squad with plenty of options, not a bad stretch of games until Christmas either - would not be shocked if we remained unbeaten until then. 

Edited by DCFC1388

12 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Because Paul Warne has fewer brain cells than I can count on the fingers of one ear?

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Fine that makes sense.

What doesn’t make sense is for a manager who preaches high energy to appoint a captain who periodically lacks energy of any sort. 

But he didn't appoint CH as captain,  the squad of players did.

Which I agree with what has already been said, should make it easier for Warne to leave him out rather than unsettle the team, if Warne had a string opinion on who is captain he wouldn't have offered it to the players to decide....