Derby v Shrewsbury (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

6 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Must admit I never thought I'd see @Ghost of Clough being called a hater, toxic or one of the usual suspects, or someone who doesn't get the art of discussion 

Exactly this. 

One of the most trusted posters on the forum, very knowledgeable and clearly knows a lot about the club and football in general. 

I’ve thought for a long time PW hasn’t got a clue. When @Ghost of Clough starts talking the same, I start to get really worried. 

It’s time for some to get their head out of the sand. 

10 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Exactly this. 

One of the most trusted posters on the forum, very knowledgeable and clearly knows a lot about the club and football in general. 

I’ve thought for a long time PW hasn’t got a clue. When @Ghost of Clough starts talking the same, I start to get really worried. 

It’s time for some to get their head out of the sand. 

the-office-suck-up.gif

6 hours ago, Archied said:

Seen this idea that shrews made the pitch narrow in size for yesterday’s game posted a few times , pretty sure clubs have to give dimensions ( within limits ) at the start of a season and then stick with them all season 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe they did. Not sure of the relevance though. Is there some sort of suggestion that a narrow pitch was a contributory factor to us being unable to to score a goal?  

37 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s getting boring reading the intransigence and polarisation in the conversations we seem to have running at the moment. It’s hardly worth reading 50% of the posts because you see a name and know exactly what the tone and message will be. Predictable, knee jerk reactions. Anyway, see you all Tuesday 🤣

is it knee jerk reaction though?

this has been happening quite a while now

1 hour ago, jono said:

It’s getting boring reading the intransigence and polarisation in the conversations we seem to have running at the moment. It’s hardly worth reading 50% of the posts because you see a name and know exactly what the tone and message will be. Predictable, knee jerk reactions. Anyway, see you all Tuesday 🤣

What the hell else do you expect to read on a matchday thread where we lost the game in such a poor way? How big my half time dump was? 

I'm honestly desperate for any positives that would make me change my mind. Got any?

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Rule 13.2 of the EFL handbook states that clubs must register their pitch dimensions at the start of the season and these can only be altered during the season with the EFL’s written consent which will be only be given in exceptional circumstances.

Maybe it was different in Jim Smith’s time.

Fair enough 😉 wonder what exceptional circumstances could be. Some c*** and bull wear issues from lino so bring them in or something. Thanks for clarifying. Everyday is a school day and all that. 

8 hours ago, jono said:

Knee jerk was me starting to have doubts when we lost away to Ipswich without having a shot on target last year. 

13 months in, after the form we’ve had since February isn’t knee jerk. Jerk is sudden. This has worn folk down over a number of months 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Knee jerk was me starting to have doubts when we lost away to Ipswich without having a shot on target last year. 

13 months in, after the form we’ve had since February isn’t knee jerk. Jerk is sudden. This has worn folk down over a number of months 

I just don’t see it that way. I see a team that’s had a new manager for 1 year. That struggled to recruit for financial reasons and the current political climate of the game. (the financial reset that has been going on in The lower leagues for some time now. )

Then, what we have recruited has got injured at the same time as existing players. I mean come on ! Ward who looked a brilliant signing, injured at the same time as Bird, Thompson and Hourihan ? A gaping hole ripped in your chosen midfield. Aging but able NML on International duty every other week. Then a rock of a CB having a terrible run of form that knackered his confidence. Remember prior to Curtis (THE Curtis) heroics there were many calling for his head - too old too slow etc etc.

Then, yes, this is a real one, The lack of a pacy killer striker. These are not available on special offer anywhere ! 

We are in mid table, we want to be better, but it takes time and a dose of luck. We haven’t had the luck but I am giving time. There have been some poor performances and some poor play but there have been better games where we have begun to shape up. I am not “happy” but no way am I calling for heads. That isn’t head in sand or failing to acknowledge shortcomings. 

quite simply, relegation threat aside, I want to stick with it until this time next year. If we aren’t in the play off spots then, I will start to get edgy and critical, but not until then. 

See you all tomorrow for the next episode. 

34 minutes ago, jono said:

I just don’t see it that way. I see a team that’s had a new manager for 1 year. That struggled to recruit for financial reasons and the current political climate of the game. (the financial reset that has been going on in The lower leagues for some time now. )

Then, what we have recruited has got injured at the same time as existing players. I mean come on ! Ward who looked a brilliant signing, injured at the same time as Bird, Thompson and Hourihan ? A gaping hole ripped in your chosen midfield. Aging but able NML on International duty every other week. Then a rock of a CB having a terrible run of form that knackered his confidence. Remember prior to Curtis (THE Curtis) heroics there were many calling for his head - too old too slow etc etc.

Then, yes, this is a real one, The lack of a pacy killer striker. These are not available on special offer anywhere ! 

We are in mid table, we want to be better, but it takes time and a dose of luck. We haven’t had the luck but I am giving time. There have been some poor performances and some poor play but there have been better games where we have begun to shape up. I am not “happy” but no way am I calling for heads. That isn’t head in sand or failing to acknowledge shortcomings. 

quite simply, relegation threat aside, I want to stick with it until this time next year. If we aren’t in the play off spots then, I will start to get edgy and critical, but not until then. 

See you all tomorrow for the next episode. 

We are watching teams with worse players than us playing better football than us. 

It isn’t entitled to expect our performances to match our budget. 

How many league 1 clubs could lose their right backs to injury and go and pick up a guy who according to his former managers shouldn’t be playing in league 1? 

This team has been available for a short run of games now: 

Wildsmith 

Nyambe Nelson Cash Forsyth 

Bird Fornah 

Barkhuizen Sibley NML 

Waghorn 

At this level the team above should be dominating against all but the very top top teams. The team above is also capable of playing decent football. 

These players are also capable of taking more than 1 point from Cheltenham and Shrewsbury.

I just want to see a manager getting the best out of the players at his disposal.  

Edited by IlsonDerby

35 minutes ago, jono said:

Ward looked an okay signing (IMO) - I don't think he's a better winger than an on-form NML (other than being able to do it for more than 60 minutes a week) and he didn't really look particularly suited to a wingback to me.  Bradley struggled because he couldn't do the role he was signed for (the central defender in a spread back 3).  That midfield 4 was only our chosen midfield because the previous half a dozen ones he tried were disastrous.  And if pacy strikers aren't available, then don't play a system that requires one.  There are plenty of teams that don't have one and do well - Sheffield Wednesday went up with a strike force of Lee Gregory and Michael Smith last season. And beyond that, we don't even play a system that genuinely needs a pacy striker anyway - where does one fit into our apparent strategy of getting it wide and lumping crosses in?

That's not to say injuries haven't hampered us, because they have, but there's a much wider pattern of players consistently under performing, because they are being asked to do jobs they can't do, or not used in ways to get the best out of them, or not given the setup around them they need to perform well.  That persists across last years signings and this years.  And it's one of the big reasons we're struggling to perform so much.

16 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

We are watching teams with worse players than us playing better football than us. 

It isn’t entitled to expect our performances to match our budget. 

How many league 1 clubs could lose their right backs to injury and go and pick up a guy who according to his former managers shouldn’t be playing in league 1? 

This team has been available for a short run of games now: 

Wildsmith 

Nyambe Nelson Cash Forsyth 

Bird Fornah 

Barkhuizen Sibley NML 

Waghorn 

At this level the team above should be dominating against all but the very top top teams. The team above is also capable of playing decent football. 

These players are also capable of taking more than 1 point from Cheltenham and Shrewsbury.

I just want to see a manager getting the best out of the players at his disposal.  

It is plain as day that the players we have are not the problem. The awful excuse for tactics or style of play or way to approach the game preached by the manager is the problem. 

Just read the Leigh Curtis opinion piece regards Saturday on Derbyshire Live……….OUCH!

Derby County anger grows louder as Paul Warne needs solutions and fast

Warne will know better than anybody that he needs solutions and fast if he to put a lid on the discontent as the top two start to drift out of view which is why there is understandable anger. To use Warne's words after the victory at Meadow Lane, Derby are failing and two points from games against Cambridge, Cheltenham and Shrewsbury is not good enough. But it does beg the question where do we go from here?

Ultimately, what happened at the weekend now goes one of two ways. It either becomes the point in the season that serves as inspiration or the same problems keep on occurring and those advocating change get their wish. The response on Tuesday night against Exeter City will tell us everything.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-talking-points-shrewsbury-8849144

29 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Just read the Leigh Curtis opinion piece regards Saturday on Derbyshire Live……….OUCH!

Derby County anger grows louder as Paul Warne needs solutions and fast

Warne will know better than anybody that he needs solutions and fast if he to put a lid on the discontent as the top two start to drift out of view which is why there is understandable anger. To use Warne's words after the victory at Meadow Lane, Derby are failing and two points from games against Cambridge, Cheltenham and Shrewsbury is not good enough. But it does beg the question where do we go from here?

Ultimately, what happened at the weekend now goes one of two ways. It either becomes the point in the season that serves as inspiration or the same problems keep on occurring and those advocating change get their wish. The response on Tuesday night against Exeter City will tell us everything.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-talking-points-shrewsbury-8849144

A pretty damning report but difficult to find much, if anything, I’d disagree with. ☹️