Derby v Notts County (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

8 minutes ago, alram said:

Probably a few reasons mainly being this competition is pants

it wasn’t even a strong Notts county team they put out, I was surprised we risked so many first teamers ourselves

Isn't that the issue though summed up very succinctly - damned if you do damned if you don't 

Put a weakened squad out get beat then there's uproar on here.

Put out a decent starting 11 win the game but it doesn't matter as they're a division below us and had a big change of personnel for tonight's game.

7 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Will have one final whinge about the amount of just vitriol from the stands.

Teenagers still of school age just F’ing every other word. Bloke behind me wouldn’t stop calling the ball boys lazy C words. 

Collins constantly referred to as a lazy txxt- I mean he misses chances but the last thing he can be described as is lazy! 

It made a match I was looking forward to quite an unenjoyable experience. 

‘you F’ing D*ck McGoldrick - someone kill him’ was another pearl of wisdom. 

I know this is probably just me getting old but when I went to away games with my mates at that age it wasn’t like that. You’d give some of the old wrist shakin and middle fingers to the home support and sneak a beer in but it wasn’t a competition for how many times the C word could be used in a match. 

Would it not have been more enjoyable if you had tried to join in with them? 

40 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

First half we played County off the park unless you were watching a different game to me.

Second half we regressed substantially which was worrying

I watched the game and most of our play was counter attacking. We are fine when we can counter attack teams it’s when teams sit back we struggle under warnes tactics to break teams down. 

just never thought I would see the day we had to rely on counter attacking and worrying about what the opposition does. We should be at least having a different variety to our game 

9 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Teenagers still of school age just F’ing every other word. Bloke behind me wouldn’t stop calling the ball boys lazy C words. 

Collins constantly referred to as a lazy txxt- I mean he misses chances but the last thing he can be described as is lazy! 

I know this is probably just me getting old but when I went to away games with my mates at that age it wasn’t like that. You’d give some of the old wrist shakin and middle fingers to the home support and sneak a beer in but it wasn’t a competition for how many times the C word could be used in a match. 

I think we have to accept that we have a few nasty people supporting this club. Hopefully police and stewards will find them and remove them.

15 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I understand that because our fans were the same under Rosenior but I’d have been buzzing if that was what our second string did against a team supposedly challenging in the top end of the division above us. 

I thought that County's passing game was very good but paradoxically apart from a few youths behind me intermittently chanting we hate Derby the atmosphere in the stand for most of the game was really flat. 

3 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

I watched the game and most of our play was counter attacking. We are fine when we can counter attack teams it’s when teams sit back we struggle under warnes tactics to break teams down. 

just never thought I would see the day we had to rely on counter attacking and worrying about what the opposition does. We should be at least having a different variety to our game 

I know this seems like semantics but County didn't have many meaningful attacks in the first half whilst we carved then open a few times so how can you say we were counter attacking a non existent attack?

29 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

This is what happens at nearby away games when we have a big capacity. Encourages all the scum bags who aren’t proper fans to go there looking for a fight.

Always find it’s a much different experience at the smaller grounds. None of those nobheads travelled to Carlisle for instance, and the atmosphere was much better. Lots of moaning about the s*** performance of course, but no coked up idiots shouting abuse. 

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

This is what happens at nearby away games when we have a big capacity. Encourages all the scum bags who aren’t proper fans to go there looking for a fight.

Always find it’s a much different experience at the smaller grounds. None of those nobheads travelled to Carlisle for instance, and the atmosphere was much better. Lots of moaning about the s*** performance of course, but no coked up idiots shouting abuse. 

There’s not many times I’ve agreed with your posts in recent times but on this one I couldn’t agree more!!! 👌🏻

46 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Because the tickets were sold in blocks, I was amongst our more regular away supporters to the left of the halfway line. There was a great atmosphere, singing throughout and no abuse. I had a good night.

It's unfortunate when you end up surrounded by idiots, and I've had my share at other games this season. 

Game should’ve been done at half time, criminal how many chances we missed, but not completely unsurprising considering the last few draws we’ve had where chances and goal scoring opportunities have been in great volume but the final touches haven’t. 

Second half, you could see the players returning from injury really struggling late on and I felt Warne just wanted to run them into the ground to get minutes in their legs but from a performance point of view it I would hope changes would typically be made before it got to that point. Right before the penalty we may as well been playing walking football. 

Great to see Sibs bag twice. He really need to be in games where we need a spark because we just don’t have it otherwise, most of our players are industrious, honest pros. Sibley is the only player in our team who has an edge about his game, for me, so I just don’t see any good reason why he doesn’t get a run of games. It seems like he has to score every game to even get an opportunity to keep his place. He’s started three games this season and has three goals. It does baffle me. I’m just going to try and enjoy watching him while I can because it’s obvious that Warne is happy to see him gone at the end of the season. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

Game should’ve been done at half time, criminal how many chances we missed, but not completely unsurprising considering the last few draws we’ve had where chances and goal scoring opportunities have been in great volume but the final touches haven’t. 

Second half, you could see the players returning from injury really struggling late on and I felt Warne just wanted to run them into the ground to get minutes in their legs but from a performance point of view it I would hope changes would typically be made before it got to that point. Right before the penalty we may as well been playing walking football. 

Great to see Sibs bag twice. He really need to be in games where we need a spark because we just don’t have it otherwise, most of our players are industrious, honest pros. Sibley is the only player in our team who has an edge about his game, for me, so I just don’t see any good reason why he doesn’t get a run of games. It seems like he has to score every game to even get an opportunity to keep his place. He’s started three games this season and has three goals. It does baffle me. I’m just going to try and enjoy watching him while I can because it’s obvious that Warne is happy to see him gone at the end of the season. 

That's a good point about Warne wanting to run them into the ground as people around me were wondering why he didn't introduce fresh legs earlier. I hadn't thought that it was deliberate! 

Don't agree with it, but better than me thinking he just couldn't see it. 🤦‍♀️ 

That's why we conceded the penalty, of course. By that time they'd got five pairs of fresh legs on running through a very fatigued midfield. 

51 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Isn't that the issue though summed up very succinctly - damned if you do damned if you don't 

Put a weakened squad out get beat then there's uproar on here.

Put out a decent starting 11 win the game but it doesn't matter as they're a division below us and had a big change of personnel for tonight's game.

yeah I don’t disagree, sums up this competition for me

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Sounds like the same piss ‘Ead that kept calling every player a fat bamford.  Ironic seeing as every time he opened his ginger gob he sounded like the biggest bamford in the greater Nottingham area.  

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

A lot seems to be made of our play being mostly counter attacking. 

Whilst I agree that we don’t seem to dominate possession, there is an art in forcing mistakes and being quick in transition. 

Perhaps this might not suit the  ‘purists’ eye or those who perhaps watch too much Sky coverage of the Premiership, however Leicester City managed to runaway with the PL relying on just this style of play. 

Again, I’m not condoning it however, I do think we have the players who can play both possession based and also counter attacking football at this level. If might be part of PWs masterplan or then  again perhaps not.

Edited by HectorsHouse

57 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

His goals have come against second string teams. He hasn't done so well in League games.

I think his best position is as an outside right. He needs space and after his first few successful games the opposition have found it easy to nullify him in CM or CAM as at Carlisle.

A slight problem being if we play a back 4, it's also arguably the best position for 4 other players. 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You appear to be projecting your frustration onto the club’s owner there.

Based on the interviews I’ve seen with him, Clowes doesn’t strike me as a man quick to anger. There’s a rationale behind not throwing the young players on once they’d pulled a goal back tonight which Warne and Clowes can no doubt discuss. And at the fans forum the other month Pearce and Warne when asked about the academy did discuss with a reasonable amount of focus that there was a plan to rebuild it, that it may take time, and that as part of the multitude of meetings internally that the “football executive” have there are regular discussions between Buxton and Warne. 
I admire those of you who are so passionate about the academy, and recognise Warne could potentially be utilising some of the youth more than he is, but we do have Cashin (an academy graduate) as a key part of our defence ahead of Bradley, Max Bird seemingly being one of the first names on the team sheet, Sibley in and around the squad constantly, young players joining in in training with the first team etc. It’s just my opinion but I don’t feel it’s as bleak a situation in the immediate that some portray it to be, and it’ll only become more of an issue if we don’t see more of the integration later this season and beyond. 

For a bit of context, Wolves U21s beat Notts County 2-1. Our U21s lost 3-2 to Wolves U21s in the league.

Yet, we are unable to put a bit of faith in a few of our academy players in amongst our first team squad to hold on to a 2 goal lead with 20 mins to play? Well, I suppose they could make a big error leading directly to a goal I suppose...

Our midfield three had nothing left in the tank for those final 5 minutes. Any suggestion that a talented youngster couldn't come on for those 5 minutes to provide fresh energy as it would be too much of a risk is ridiculous in my opinion.