Corey Blackett-Taylor - Signed on Loan/Permanent in Summer

Stuniverse

Blackett Taylor will obviously have days where nothing comes off - shots, passes, crosses, stepovers and so on.

However his pace and his intent alone will make defenders watchful and always give us a chance.

I don’t think he will score or assist every week. We don’t need him to be a goal machine. We need someone who will create jeopardy, especially on days where NML and Wilson are not at it.

I think back to last season - a lot of games in the run in will be the same, tight and tense and teams will try to frustrate us or we might have a day where we are not at the races and we need someone to do something unpredictable.

CBT could be that player.  It might be one burst of pace or one turn of skill that stretches the opposition and leads to an opening for someone else and it’s the difference between 0-0 and 1-0.

He looks like someone who will make things happen and if that is the case, he is going to be crucial for us, and could be the difference between 4th and 2nd.

I bet he’s been training with us possibly Sunday and Monday, I hope he gets in the squad if not starting 11 tonight. 
We need the win to boost the feel good factor of being top temporary.

1 minute ago, CodnorRam said:

What do we reckon to his short performance last night ?

He's got something about him, but I'll not be making any calls based on a cameo midst probably our least controlled performance of the season. He's going to need a bit of time to settle, as does every player, so right now all I'm thinking is that I hope he gets it. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I thought last night was the perfect opportunity to slot right in and made a mark. 

Warne picked a decent team and I thought him and NML would run riot.

He seemed to struggle with the pace of it.

Maybe it's just nerves and once he gets his first goal he will settle right in.

He seems to struggle receiving it whilst marked. Needs it in space, perhaps more of a sub.  

I was moaning about him in the match thread...so I watched him a bit to see if it was justified.

So far he hasn't shown he has got a great first touch and he's kept making the wrong decisions,  but that can change with a bit of confidence. 

What was worrying was his lack of intensity out of possession. Doesn't bust a gut to create space or get in behind, but even more noticeable was his defensive work. Seemed more 'for show' rather than any real effort to get the ball. All half-paced, shuffling across to cover, rather than sprinting to actually make a tackle. Didn't close down or get tight, didn't track back with any real desire. Hasn't done anything yet at a new club ...so I'd expect him to at least look a bit more keen to impress. Not a patch on NML so far.

Early days, injury concerns etc etc...hopefully will come good when it matters soon.

Edited by Chester40

No doubt someone will try to claim that his signing has spurred Barkhuizen on to better performances so he's already proving his worth.

Charlton fans said he was half arsed defensively but maybe we'll drill a bit more effort into him. It was also noted that he didn't cope well (/was easily nullified) when being doubled up on (but tbf not many wingers do)

They also said that he'd improved his fitness record / levels and was now able to play 90 mins game in game out... so of course he misses a couple of games injured before we sign him and his debut performances are marred by an apparent fitness issue.

He needs space to run into but the one through-ball we played in front of him he couldn't reach, but if he gets his pace and  fitness back from wherever it's disappeared to he should be a good rotation option with Barkhuizen for the rest of this season's away games.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I was moaning about him in the match thread...so I watched him a bit to see if it was justified.

So far he hasn't shown he has got a great first touch and he's kept making the wrong decisions,  but that can change with a bit of confidence. 

What was worrying was his lack of intensity out of possession. Doesn't bust a gut to create space or get in behind, but even more noticeable was his defensive work. Seemed more 'for show' rather than any real effort to get the ball. All half-paced, shuffling across to cover, rather than sprinting to actually make a tackle. Didn't close down or get tight, didn't track back with any real desire. Hasn't done anything yet at a new club ...so I'd expect him to at least look a bit more keen to impress. Not a patch on NML so far.

Early days, injury concerns etc etc...hopefully will come good when it matters soon.

In 2 games you've just echoed what the Charlton fans told us.

"Lacks ball control and guile."

This, sadly is what we have.

He may be one of those who thrive on confidence and arrogance. He’s probably nervous coming into an established and successful team and it hasn’t started well for him.

I am surprised at his lack of dynamism, especially since it’s Warne’s watchword. We’ve had plenty of players who have started slowly. 

7 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

In 2 games you've just echoed what the Charlton fans told us.

"Lacks ball control and guile."

This, sadly is what we have.

This un-fortunately is exactly what I heard too from Charlton fans, needs to improve in a few areas but I'm more concerned with his actual effort, the minimum I expect from any player is 100 per cent effort and I don't think we are seeing that

I always think fans accept below par performances but not a lack of effort