The Paul Warne Poll

Day

The Paul Warne Poll  

612 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Point taken. 

But without being harsh surely if DC is a Derby man through and through he’ll look to sell if he can’t finance us to be at the right end of the table?

We’re only three points off top and there are 42 games to improve on that.

Our finances are tight while we are under the business plan.

Surely the time when Clowes will be looking to re-assess is when we are financially free and have no one to answer to?

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

We all remember how GSE just kept with "Nigel's our guy" for year after year? We mostly look back on GSE as having actually been good and responsible owners, and there were points where Nigel was really not popular.

How many people are giving it both "we need promotion this year" and "theres no long term plan"?

I'm not a massive fan and I've had the odd "Peason" vibe of "this just isn't going to work" but I'm a moron off the internet so I'm not going to get carried away on this, but if the team are still underperforming around christmas, then, yes, perhaps start thinking about it.

At the moment it seems like they're just bad at being what Warne wants them to be, rather than just being bad. But then, i thought the tea would get good at doing what Cocu wanted and that didn't work out so well.

Under Clough, I recall the arguments made against him were the quality of entertainment, and not advancing quick enough. Both appeared to be there in 13/14, which is why so many were surprised at his sacking at the time. I think Rush was later quoted as saying he didn't realise what a good job Clough was actually doing. Clough, under the ownership of GSE, was judged against a bottom 6 Championship budget and exceeded expectations.
The main difference between Clough and Warne is one built foundations and steadily improved on them, whilst also introducing a number of youngsters to the first team.

Clough academy debutants: O'Brien, Mendy, Mills, Connolly, Ball, Atkins, Hendrick, Severn, Hughes, Bennett, Gjokaj, Hoganson
Warne academy debutants: DBrown

Clough permanent signings u27: Porter, Barker, Moxey, Buxton, Pringle, Croft, DMartin, Brayford, Bailey, Doyle, Cywka, Ward, Bryson, Maguire, Fielding, Legzdins, Robinson, Naylor, Sammon, Keogh, Jacobs, Coutts, Freeman, Russell, Forsyth, CMartin
Warne permanent signings u27: Wilson

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Because we ran out of steam with a small old squad .

Plymouth ,Ipswich and Sheff We’d were better than us and had established squads 

Barnsley also finished above us. We finished above them the season before, despite being docked 21 points.

I can see your argument, but there is nothing to convince me at all that Warne has done a good job. He might still prove me wrong, I'd be over the moon about that. But we can't use administration as an excuse forever.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The main difference between Clough and Warne is one built foundations and steadily improved on them, whilst also introducing a number of youngsters to the first team.

The other difference is that one was managing in the championship and the other is in League one. Because of the size and history of the club, there is this underlying expectation that we need to get out of this league now, there is no 'building' to be done.

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

The other difference is that one was managing in the championship and the other is in League one. Because of the size and history of the club, there is this underlying expectation that we need to get out of this league now, there is no 'building' to be done.

Nobody expects promotion, but expecting to compete on the pitch is more than reasonable.

Are you really happy that we saw less of the ball than Burton and Fleetwood? I'm not. It's anti football, and Derby fans won't stand for it. It'll be what costs Warne his job if he doesn't sort it.

9 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Barnsley also finished above us. We finished above them the season before, despite being docked 21 points.

I can see your argument, but there is nothing to convince me at all that Warne has done a good job. He might still prove me wrong, I'd be over the moon about that. But we can't use administration as an excuse forever.

It's always going to be a reason for poor performance until we are no longer under a business plan. 

I voted “Not even close…”.

Every Manager has a “sell by…” date. 

The quality of football is important to me but in League 1 the poor quality of referees and the style of most other teams dictates a certain agricultural response is probably more likely to succeed than Rosenior tippy-tappy.

PW is under pressure for the first time in his tenure & so it’s how he deals with the now that is the litmus test. So, let’s see…BUT not impressed with his signings - was due diligence done on Jelly-legs & Co before he gave them the Pride Park postcode? And you simply cannot forget your midfield no matter what the level of football. His judgment seems awry at the moment…he says all the right words but his decision-making is questionable. This first term he gets a C - must do much better. 

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

Nobody expects promotion, but expecting to compete on the pitch is more than reasonable.

Are you really happy that we saw less of the ball than Burton and Fleetwood? I'm not. It's anti football, and Derby fans won't stand for it. It'll be what costs Warne his job if he doesn't sort it.

I think it's far too early in the season to conclude that we aren't competing on the pitch. 

Just now, Rammy03 said:

It's always going to be a reason for poor performance until we are no longer under a business plan. 

I disagree. It's an excuse. I bet that even with the business plan, we were among the biggest spenders on wages last season. Time will tell I suppose.

I still refuse to believe Plymouth spent much. Half decent manager and a motivated squad will always walk this league.

29 minutes ago, sage said:

Do you see signs of this now?

There’s a plan, but it is obviously more challenging to execute than we would have hoped it to be.

Sacking Warne now would fly in the face of everything Clowes seems to stand for and the way he seems to operate.

Sacking Warne would create more questions than answers and personally I’d be left thinking: what is the plan?

3 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

I disagree. It's an excuse. I bet that even with the business plan, we were among the biggest spenders on wages last season. Time will tell I suppose.

I still refuse to believe Plymouth spent much. Half decent manager and a motivated squad will always walk this league.

It's not always about wages. You need the right makeup of squad. We didn't last season and still do not. We lack in several key areas. And maybe it's this business plan that is stopping us getting the key players we need? Who knows

Edited by Rammy03

While we're still under the Gibson-Parry Destroy Derby at all costs Accord, its harsh to judge Warne. Personally, i didn't agree with sacking Rosenoir but i am firmly in the "not even close" camp atm.

We all want success but its never guaranteed.

Brian Clough would have been sacked according to some folks short term demands nowadays.

Jim Smith would have been on his way after spending big money to bring in some Croatian fella only to lose 5-1 at Tranmere and sitting low down the table......

I'm not suggesting for one moment that Warne will ever be in their league, but if we don't at least give him a chance we'll never know. 

Its 4 league games in lads and lasses. 🐏

5 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Everybody expects promotion. It was the "minimum expectation" in the forum's preseason poll. Most people were grudgingly prepared to accept promotion through the playoffs (but not playoff failure), but really automatics was where people thought we should be.

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Is there an option to take him out for a curry and a couple of pints, then back to my place where I could give him a great big man hug, a hot chocolate nightcap with cream and marshmallows, and tell him to "Hang on in there mate.  You'll be reet.  Are you ok with George Benson, or would you prefer something a little more soothing?"

Did you show him your sombrero?

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Everybody expects promotion. It was the "minimum expectation" in the forum's preseason poll. Most people were grudgingly prepared to accept promotion through the playoffs (but not playoff failure), but really automatics was where people thought we should be.

Fair point. I suppose when I said "nobody" I was just talking about my own expectations. My expectations are so low now that all I want is to outplay Fleetwood.