The Paul Warne Poll

Day

The Paul Warne Poll  

612 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Warne's now managed us for 50 games.

Warne had a budget for transfer fees, but has taken the active decision to spend it on wages instead.

Thanks for reminding me we're in League 1 and that we shouldn't be outplayed by relegation candidates, with a minimum expectation this season of promotion.

Who? Well Gary Bowyer would be my top choice at the moment, but there are quite a few available managers willing to manage us in L1. Wilder was tempted by Reading, Moore would come if offered the role. I've always liked Carsley, but feel he'll have eyes on the England men's team when that becomes available. Simon Rusk is another in the England setup after spending 6 years managing Brighton U23s/21s. Leam Richardson got promoted with Wigan in 21/22 and was harshly sacked last season. Richie Wellens and Paul Simpson wouldn't cost much in compensation. 

Like most derby fans I like moore but let’s be honest sheff weds under him totally fell apart and we’re lucky to scrape up in the play offs , could you imagine a collapse of that magnitude being tolerated by derby fans 😂😂😂 , I think not 

10 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I'm pro-Warne and voted 4. I considered voting 3, because if we go on a horrible run and are losing a lot of games at Xmas then I'd definitely be considering changing my stance.

I think at the end of the season is fair, and so does he. Because if we fail to make the playoffs then he is under real danger of being sacked. If at xmas we look like that's where we are heading then the urge to pull the plug and prevent that from happening will become strong.

Exactly.  👋 Why do so many have to get in a camp and have that “I am a naysayer” and will never move or change my outlook. It’s almost as bad as American politics. Grimly polarised.

My feeling is Warne knows his stuff but there have been a fair few spanner’s in the works so he gets plenty of slack from me.

Those same spanner’s would have been there whoever we had had. The transfer market is bizarre at the moment, we are being measured and cautious with funds for numerous reasons. This club is being rebuilt from the lowest ebb. To expect nirvana from the first manager since our near collapse, in less than a season, is little short of pathetic. As fans of course we want success but as far as I am concerned yes, I want to be challenging for promotion, but anything above mid table is fine. I will get very twitchy if relegation looms and revisit my stance. Warne has it all to do. He has my support until rational, sane and reasonable expectations are endangered. 

If I am really truthful I am a good time Charlie, so as long as we score a decent number of goals and win at home along with putting up an honest fight on the pitch, I am not really worried one bit. Yes of course I’ll scream from the rooftops if we get promoted 🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏

I wonder if that makes me shallow 🤣

I voted not even close, however I was 50/50 between that and reviewing at the end of the year, that being said it naturally if we were in relegation form (genuine relegation form, not the hyperbolic reactionary version of it on here) we would obviously need to take immediate action. As it is presently I'm willing to stick with the process and give him a fair chance. 

If we aren't closer to the playoffs by the end of the year, we are able to move forward without a business plan and are well positioned to decide on Warne's position then. Getting rid before then in my opinion wouldn't yield any results due to our inability to change squad. 

20 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Under Clough, I recall the arguments made against him were the quality of entertainment, and not advancing quick enough. Both appeared to be there in 13/14, which is why so many were surprised at his sacking at the time. I think Rush was later quoted as saying he didn't realise what a good job Clough was actually doing. Clough, under the ownership of GSE, was judged against a bottom 6 Championship budget and exceeded expectations.
The main difference between Clough and Warne is one built foundations and steadily improved on them, whilst also introducing a number of youngsters to the first team.

Clough academy debutants: O'Brien, Mendy, Mills, Connolly, Ball, Atkins, Hendrick, Severn, Hughes, Bennett, Gjokaj, Hoganson
Warne academy debutants: DBrown

Clough permanent signings u27: Porter, Barker, Moxey, Buxton, Pringle, Croft, DMartin, Brayford, Bailey, Doyle, Cywka, Ward, Bryson, Maguire, Fielding, Legzdins, Robinson, Naylor, Sammon, Keogh, Jacobs, Coutts, Freeman, Russell, Forsyth, CMartin
Warne permanent signings u27: Wilson

Clough had even back in 2009-2013 when the value of players in the market was considerably lower, significantly more money than Warne has had available to him with the added bonus of being in the Championship and being more attractive to potential signings. Clough signed well. You aren't comparing fairly or in good faith. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Clough had even back in 2009-2013 when the value of players in the market was considerably lower, significantly more money than Warne has had available to him with the added bonus of being in the Championship and being more attractive to potential signings. Clough signed well. You aren't comparing fairly or in good faith. 

Rosenior signed well with less money than both then.

10 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Never just one though is it?

When you sack the manager he typically comes as a job lot with his posse...... it's like having to pay off half a team!

I thought the team were normally on rolling contracts? Meh if they're any good keep them and let the new manager decide.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Clough also had to compete with a higher number of clubs around him spending money themselves, but in the present climate pretty much nobody else is spending fees either so it's a more level playing fiel.

I'm not sure that Clough managing in the championship does the comparison many favours tbh, he's facing better opposition and is it really any more attractive to be playing in a Championship team you know is expected to be struggling, and at might at best finish lower mid-table vs playing for a TOP League one team where you might experience the joys of promotion and... in our case, being a key part in the revival of Derby County?

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Clough also had to compete with a higher number of clubs around him spending money themselves, but in the present climate pretty much nobody else is spending fees either so it's a more level playing fiel.

I'm not sure that Clough managing in the championship does the comparison many favours tbh, he's facing better opposition and is it really any more attractive to be playing in a Championship team you know is expected to be struggling, and at might at best finish lower mid-table vs playing for a TOP League one team where you might experience the joys of promotion and... in our case, being a key part in the revival of Derby County?

Clough had a few players that he was allowed to spend good sums of money on for the time like Barker, Shackell and Keogh namely. Our budget wasn't amazing but it wasn't bargain basement either. 

My point is that it isn't really a like for like or even a fair comparison when appraising Clough's signings where he had more opportunity to pick and choose and was not encumbered by an EFL business plan (just a GSE one) and so that any comparison isn't particularly relevant. 

12 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

You’re not comparing like with like.  Clough had around 4.5 years, Warne’s not had one yet.  Clough could spend, Warne can’t, or at least unless he sells 1 or 2.  Clough didn’t have EFL restrictions, Warne does or did which severely hampered him in January.  Clough didn’t have to build from bottom up, Warne (or maybe more DC) does.  Clough had an academy to pick from, Warne doesn’t as it was largely decimated due to Mel.  Clough had the opposite problem to Warne of an oversize squad, Warne needs bodies.  Warne hasn’t had a full summer transfer window yet.

I agree about foundations but I do think circumstances play into that a bit and a lot of is required to lay the foundations.  In his pre-match press interview last week when discussing transfers he discussed Mark Thomas is planning transfer for next summer and the one after that.  Maybe that’s when we’ll see som gems unearthed.

Hope Rotherham have some good players, that way we might sign a few decent players next summer. 

11 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Not voted yet and will always give a manager a decent chance, but I haven’t been impressed with any of the players he has brought in or how he has intended to actually play the game of football.

His needs appear to be 

can someone run around a lot, can the ball be crossed a lot. 
Is the player a lovely chap, the player must be pre judged on personality and ability - especially irritating as he has clearly proved himself wrong far too often.

I think Ward is a decent player at wide right midfield but our whole side having to be co opted to suit him is plain nuts.

My biggest concern is that we are playing in the third division and I am hearing excuses which I don’t hear from other managers in this league and I see no real plan for the future with a view of being in the championship.

I still expect to Be promoted but I am not sure if that would be due to having this manager or no manager.

You expect to be promoted? 10th place is looking more likely as it stands, we are nowhere near promotion quality unless he changes the whole way of playing and we sign a few new players.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Warne's now managed us for 50 games.

Warne had a budget for transfer fees, but has taken the active decision to spend it on wages instead.

Thanks for reminding me we're in League 1 and that we shouldn't be outplayed by relegation candidates, with a minimum expectation this season of promotion.

Who? Well Gary Bowyer would be my top choice at the moment, but there are quite a few available managers willing to manage us in L1. Wilder was tempted by Reading, Moore would come if offered the role. I've always liked Carsley, but feel he'll have eyes on the England men's team when that becomes available. Simon Rusk is another in the England setup after spending 6 years managing Brighton U23s/21s. Leam Richardson got promoted with Wigan in 21/22 and was harshly sacked last season. Richie Wellens and Paul Simpson wouldn't cost much in compensation. 

your opinion is like mine your own but if he did go i expect you to be one of first on new managers back derby supporters are very fickle and would any of the names you bandied around come here with no money to spend and i respect him for not wasting it.

15 minutes ago, islandram said:

your opinion is like mine your own but if he did go i expect you to be one of first on new managers back derby supporters are very fickle and would any of the names you bandied around come here with no money to spend and i respect him for not wasting it.

You think the signings Warne's made are only small wages then? He's saved money by paying Bradley, Nelson et al peanuts?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

You think the signings Warne's made are only small wages then? He's saved money by paying Bradley, Nelson et al peanuts?

I don't think he has ''saved'' money, but he has stayed within the boundaries of his budget by not spending fees and choosing to get free transfers with wages as opposed to using our limited funds on fees. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't think he has ''saved'' money, but he has stayed within the boundaries of his budget by not spending fees and choosing to get free transfers with wages as opposed to using our limited funds on fees. 

So do I. A budget Clowes told us is good enough in this league for promotion.