Sonny Bradley

DCFC Kicks

On 17/08/2023 at 16:43, jimtastic56 said:

Is Cashin struggling due to the form of Sonny B or is he a player that has had his “Head turned”? There seems a growing feeling that Brighton want him for £3 m. They will do what they did with Clarke - leave him in the lower leagues until such time they can make a profit on him. Brighton always think of the cash coming in.

If his head has been turned , don’t play him until it is unturned.

On 16/08/2023 at 02:07, sage said:

His legs have gone. There was one incident just before he came off, the ball dropped into space about 5 yards from him and 10 from Cashin. He frantically started gesturing at Cashin to deal with it.

Warne has dropped a massive clanger. 

It's a strange one. I just can't see why we recruited this player. Perhaps Mr Warne thought he needed a 'Bragstad' type signing to keep up tradition?  

On 17/08/2023 at 14:39, nottingram said:

Is there a single player in the 11 who looks as good as you would expect? Ward and Forsyth?

If at least 80% of your team look worse than they should it is probably not worth picking at individuals and consider what else is going on

Ward looked good in preseason, but hasn’t been great in the league. Elder and Washington can’t get a start. Bradley and Nelson have seen their time plagued with high profile mistakes. Wilson has shown ability and why Bristol were happy to get rid in equal measure.

Waghorn looks like the best of the bunch - a goal and an assist in his limited game time. He was a player we signed because he did well whilst on trial because he lived close enough to the club. 

At this venture, the recruitment looks wildly poor but important to give these players time. My worry with Bradley is that his been hooked at half time twice in four games and looks completely out of it a lot of the time. I did consider whether there might be something more sinister for his enormous drop-off going on in his personal life. 

If we do end up going with a back 4 tomorrow, it will be interesting to see which central defender gets dropped. I suspect, given the lack of alternatives anyway, we end up with Nelson just moved to right back, which mostly avoids any awkward conversations.  But dropping one of your big summer signings, or one of your best young players, would certainly be a statement whichever way it goes.

11 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

If we do end up going with a back 4 tomorrow, it will be interesting to see which central defender gets dropped. I suspect, given the lack of alternatives anyway, we end up with Nelson just moved to right back, which mostly avoids any awkward conversations.  But dropping one of your big summer signings, or one of your best young players, would certainly be a statement whichever way it goes.

I think we will go

Wildsmith

Nelson     Fozzy           Cashin      Elder

Thompson   Smith   Hourihane

NML                Collins             Waghorn

Edited by sage

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

...unless Warne goes on a mad one and drops Cashin due to the transfer situation and doesn't want to risk injuring the one player who may bring in enough cash to allow him the signings he wants.

On 16/08/2023 at 15:05, DCFC Kicks said:

Hasn't Cashin gone through the whole academy system playing in a back 4? Is this the first time he's played in a back 3? because he looks he doesn't know his role at times

In the U18 title winning season they played a back 3. They were tactically flexible, using a number of different formations: 352, 3141, 3421, as well as 4 at the back on a few occasions.

Cashin was always in the middle of those back 3s with any of Buchanan, JBrown and Minkley either side of him.

That squad also included Bird who played as the deepest of the CMs whenever played (either as a single DM, or as a CM 2),

Thompson as the deepest CM when Bird was in the U21 or first team squads, or played further forward on the left when Bird was playing.

Sibley playing mostly as an AM in (3141, 3421), the furthest forward CM in 352, and sometimes at CF in a 352. He also played in a CM 2, with Knight further forward in a 4231 once.

2 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Benched today. 

Must confess I knew nothing of him before he was linked with us but liked what I heard after that. I was expecting an absolute monster but he seems oddly distracted and not with it.

Strange.

I think he will play himself into form, he’s hardly played for a season because of injury I think? He seriously can’t be that bad.

Quote me, screenshot me, and all that jazz.

Did call this over 2 months ago.

Was hoping the drop in division would change things. You can get fitness and confidence back, and you can forge an understanding with other defenders, but once your legs have gone that's pretty much it.

The leadership he speaks about also seems AWOL so far, so all we actually have is someone tall enough to win a few headers at set pieces.

Hoping he comes into his own eventually and does what we all hoped, but all I can see right now is him coming on for the last 5-10 minutes of a game a la Bucko to provide a bit of no nonsense aerial suppport when its backs to the wall.

A 2 year contract and likely being highest earner certainly seems a big miss-step so far.  Still, I will keep the faith and hope for better. 

BRADDERS.jpg

50 minutes ago, Rample said:

Quote me, screenshot me, and all that jazz.

Did call this over 2 months ago.

Was hoping the drop in division would change things. You can get fitness and confidence back, and you can forge an understanding with other defenders, but once your legs have gone that's pretty much it.

The leadership he speaks about also seems AWOL so far, so all we actually have is someone tall enough to win a few headers at set pieces.

Hoping he comes into his own eventually and does what we all hoped, but all I can see right now is him coming on for the last 5-10 minutes of a game a la Bucko to provide a bit of no nonsense aerial suppport when its backs to the wall.

A 2 year contract and likely being highest earner certainly seems a big miss-step so far.  Still, I will keep the faith and hope for better. 

BRADDERS.jpg

Doesn’t even seem likely to win headers. He’s so tentative it’s like he’s scared of the ball at times. 

I agree r,e his inability to crash through a striker. Looking at his physique I was expecting no nonsense. Looks very to me that due to previous injury he is very tentative. I've been like this on returning from a long lay off. It takes time until you feel at ease with your body.

I would stick him In u21s to get game time.

On the face if it, it looks an absolute clanger by the recruitment team.

57 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Neither Bradley or Elder have shown anything so far to warrant a place. Elder seems unable to cross the ball with his left foot. Bradley is the new Raul Albentosa shockingly slow and weak.

Yeah haven’t seen much of elder but just looks tentative and nervous. Hopefully grows into the role. Looks way behind fozzy currently though 

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

Neither Bradley or Elder have shown anything so far to warrant a place. Elder seems unable to cross the ball with his left foot. Bradley is the new Raul Albentosa shockingly slow and weak.

Elder doesn't look like he's comfortable playing as an attacking  wing back which makes him an odd signing. Even in a flat 4 Warne will want him bombing forward and I've not seen any evidence that's in his game. No surprise Forsyth is in, but surely that wasn't the plan. 

On paper Elder is a solid league one player when fully fit. I can see him being a frequent sub, coming on when we need fresh legs for the last 20 minutes.

He will give squad depth/rotation options, but wouldn't be surprised to see Thompson, and maybe Sibley or Wilson playing there from the off as they bring more offensively. 

30 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Yeah haven’t seen much of elder but just looks tentative and nervous. Hopefully grows into the role. Looks way behind fozzy currently though 

Presume he's still getting back to fitness to be fair to him. Just love Fozzy though - he sees them all off - was everywhere yesterday