Sonny Bradley

DCFC Kicks

On 20/08/2023 at 11:12, On the Ram Page said:

Would urge people to watch the Stoke game again. Bradley was colossal. He will come again.

That's because we were defending deep for a lot of the game with teammate all around him. That's how the teams he previously played for play. That's why Warne wanted him because he suits the way he played at Rotherham. Bradley and Warne have never been at a club like Derby where you have to take the game to the opposition who are the ones who sit back and defend.  

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

That's because we were defending deep for a lot of the game with teammate all around him. That's how the teams he previously played for play. That's why Warne wanted him because he suits the way he played at Rotherham. Bradley and Warne have never been at a club like Derby where you have to take the game to the opposition who are the ones who sit back and defend.  

Don't know anything about Bradley and Luton but there is not a cat in hell's chance that Warne's Rotherham didn't take the game to the opposition and just sat back and defended.

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

exactly this.

4 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Don't know anything about Bradley and Luton but there is not a cat in hell's chance that Warne's Rotherham didn't take the game to the opposition and just sat back and defended.

i don't ever recall rotherham being heavy favourites for any match during their time in the championship. They stayed compact, men behind the ball and tried to break when they eventually won it back. They were a team that relied heavily on set pieces and headed goals. I can agree with you that they always got stuck in and were up for a fight, but they were never expansive or tried to outplay any opponent. The previous point was that derby is a very different club to rotherham. and therefore requires a different mindset/approach

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

That is just wrong. You must be getting Warne confused with Rowett. Warne did not sit back and defend at Rotherham. Clearly you never actually watched them play.

It's not to say Bradley, Elder and co can't turn it around and become good players for us, but highlights the importance of first impressions for new players coming in. Both have proven themselves at this level and higher. Both should be good players for this club and make a significant impact this season, but it shows how quickly things can snowball. 

Bradley looks like he's playing distracted as someone else has put, honestly wouldn't be surprised if there is something going on in his private life that is ultimately having an impact. He saw out the last 5 games of the season for Luton last season and as far as I can tell played pretty well. I'm just not sure why there is such a drop-off in his performances. Albentosa is a good example because he was winning national acclaim in Spain and looked absolutely honking for us. Mike te Wierik is another example, but these were also foreign nationals who just couldn't settle. 

Edited by Ambitious

24 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

i don't ever recall rotherham being heavy favourites for any match during their time in the championship. They stayed compact, men behind the ball and tried to break when they eventually won it back. They were a team that relied heavily on set pieces and headed goals. I can agree with you that they always got stuck in and were up for a fight, but they were never expansive or tried to outplay any opponent. The previous point was that derby is a very different club to rotherham. and therefore requires a different mindset/approach

We'll be outspent by 2/3rds of the Championship, if we ever get promoted back up under Warne. This is how we'll need to play, if we go back up, to be competitive. A big similarity to Rotherham in my opinion.

3 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Exactly my thoughts. He looks like a head it, kick it, block it defender who is unhappy with space behind him or when he has to use the ball.  Of course it's early days but so far he's looked an absolute liability - longer term I wouldn't expect him to turn out to be that but neither can I see him being the key player we hoped. 

Edited by trappatoni

1 hour ago, SouthDerbysRam said:

We'll be outspent by 2/3rds of the Championship, if we ever get promoted back up under Warne. This is how we'll need to play, if we go back up, to be competitive. A big similarity to Rotherham in my opinion.

I would imagine that when we get back to the Championship, depending on the state of the club, there will be interest in buyers. How often does a club the size of Derby County, debt-free, come available in the second tier? Championship clubs are seeing a spike in investment at the minute because of the Premier League money. 

It's not assured, of course, but football is cyclical and Derby already has infrastructure. I get the impression that Clowes would rather make his time as Derby owner a short, but sweet one too (if possible). 

1 hour ago, SouthDerbysRam said:

why is it?

whats stopping us from selecting a manager that plays good attacking football and doing well in the championship aswell?

9 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Exactly my thoughts. He looks like a head it, kick it, block it defender who is unhappy with space behind him or when he has to use the ball.  Of course it's early days but so far he's looked an absolute liability - longer term I wouldn't expect him to turn out to be that but neither can I see him being the key player we hoped. 

Worked for Jack Charlton

38 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Worked for Jack Charlton

It did but he had 9 other fantastic footballers surrounding him,  who by the time they were finishing their glittering, trophy winning and international caps winning careers were only about the same age as all of the lower league journeymen we have signed