Can we challenge for promation

B4ev6is

Well I think all signing have been good signings and if we can get another goal scorer we could be challenging for the title winning season but very very early doors if we fail get another striker in we do have have lang that can play there and been doing that for his country in the golden cup thing.

And we have some good young players breaking through as well that could add pure pace to our attacks now in which I think teams will find hard who to pick up now.

I know many of you are against papa John's troupy but it could be good for young lads confordance. And we could sign those lads from RAngers that been at trail with us.

Better title for a thread would be 'can we challenge for automatic promotion".

If we are mid-table anywhere near the business-end of the season, then the knives will be out.

I can't see anything other than top 3 or 4. Anything less is below par.

I'm hoping we get a striker or two, pace and creativity.  No excuse not to be aiming for automatic. That's what he's here for.

And I'm saying that as a supporter of Warne not someone setting him up to fail.

Edited by Chester40

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I think all signing have been good signings and if we can get another goal scorer we could be challenging for the title winning season but very very early doors if we fail get another striker in we do have have lang that can play there and been doing that for his country in the golden cup thing.

And we have some good young players breaking through as well that could add pure pace to our attacks now in which I think teams will find hard who to pick up now.

I know many of you are against papa John's troupy but it could be good for young lads confordance. And we could sign those lads from RAngers that been at trail with us.

There’s no Divine Right in football @B4ev6is but the stature of Derby County means expectations will be set at minimum top 6 and automatic promotion contenders. Last season was different due to context. 

We need a replacement for McDick and also Knight whom we will miss this year. Without those, we won’t be good enough.

Do I think we will? Yes, I have faith in Warne et al; Warne is a force of nature and I believe we’ll go auto this season.

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Unlike you to be unsure B4. Anything less than promotion this year will be abject failure. I look at our L1 competitors and see little threat. We will get at least one more decent forward; Clowes will make that happen, and a couple more useful additions will also come into the building. Then all Warne has to do is turn warm words into cold points.

The window so far has been good and if it goes the same way it has so far in terms of identifying what positions need filling and some good buys / players in then my expectation is top 2 , yes no god given right but as others have said , that’s what warne is here for and he seems to be being given the tools for this level 

Arguably we’ve lost three of our best players.

We have replaced Roberts who I rated highly but we haven’t replaced the other two (Washington is a utility player)

The test will be who comes in for Knight and McGoldrick.

Once we know that, we’ll be able to assess our chances.

Personally, I think we need pace and youth in those areas.

52 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

We should win this league this season if we get a few more attacking players. I cant see a team better than us on paper tbh , think we would give champ sides a run for their money 

Unfortunately, to quote Sir Brian Clough, football isn’t played on paper. 

There are bound to be a surprise package or two along with the other expected contenders. 

A bit surprised at how dismissive some comments are of the rest of the league.

Why will Barnsley (dont expect a points deduction,  just slap on wrist), Bolton, Peterborough (always have the knack of replacing the players they sell) Wycombe be any worse than last season?

Portsmouth (great form at end of last season) and Charlton (got in one of the best strikers in the league according to some on here) always have the potential to be a challenge, then the unknowns of the teams coming down, they have the majority of their squads from last year still don't they? And Reading now allowed to bring players in, plus the promoted teams could get on a roll, winning is a habit so if any of them get a good start who knows?

Who'd have thought Plymouth would have been up there last season? There's always 1 team that surprises, maybe an Oxford or even Burton (they heave been building a decent squad and had a half decent 2nd half of last year).

Of course, don't forget we will be the biggest scalp this season by a mile, no Ipswich or Sheff Wed means everyone will be looking to their games against us as their cup finals and we saw how teams raised their games last year, expect it even more this, along with the potential for unconscious bias from refs overcompensating whilst trying NOT to be swayed by our status and size of crowd.....

I can see the potential for a lot of low scoring attritional games, so it is important we stay behind the team and give them the support they will need to keep going against supposedly inferior opposition,  don't get frustrated,  don't get on their backs and slag off the players and management at the 1st sign of things not going to plan - wishful thinking I know!

But, over the 9 months, I expect us to be top 6, top 2 will depend on how well the others do with everyone elses focus on us (again, remind you of Plymouth going up automatically ahead of Sheff Wed! )

6 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

We're should be aiming for autos no doubt about that. But it's a tough old league, and there's still time for others to strengthen. Don't be under any illusions as to what it takes to get out of this league.

Yes totally agree its never a given and will be a long season,all the new signings we have made have not blown me away in any way at all so our starting line up on the first game may not look as strong as it did last season,time will tell

I do think we need one more striker that can get you say 15-20 goals

1 hour ago, Rich84 said:

A bit surprised at how dismissive some comments are of the rest of the league.

Why will Barnsley (dont expect a points deduction,  just slap on wrist), Bolton, Peterborough (always have the knack of replacing the players they sell) Wycombe be any worse than last season?

Portsmouth (great form at end of last season) and Charlton (got in one of the best strikers in the league according to some on here) always have the potential to be a challenge, then the unknowns of the teams coming down, they have the majority of their squads from last year still don't they? And Reading now allowed to bring players in, plus the promoted teams could get on a roll, winning is a habit so if any of them get a good start who knows?

Who'd have thought Plymouth would have been up there last season? There's always 1 team that surprises, maybe an Oxford or even Burton (they heave been building a decent squad and had a half decent 2nd half of last year).

Of course, don't forget we will be the biggest scalp this season by a mile, no Ipswich or Sheff Wed means everyone will be looking to their games against us as their cup finals and we saw how teams raised their games last year, expect it even more this, along with the potential for unconscious bias from refs overcompensating whilst trying NOT to be swayed by our status and size of crowd.....

I can see the potential for a lot of low scoring attritional games, so it is important we stay behind the team and give them the support they will need to keep going against supposedly inferior opposition,  don't get frustrated,  don't get on their backs and slag off the players and management at the 1st sign of things not going to plan - wishful thinking I know!

But, over the 9 months, I expect us to be top 6, top 2 will depend on how well the others do with everyone elses focus on us (again, remind you of Plymouth going up automatically ahead of Sheff Wed! )

That's the case in any sport- nothing is ever a given/certainty. Every game even Man City play they have to look at the dangers, the quality of the opposition, what could go wrong- but most times they win.

There are a few teams who will be there or thereabouts, but there is no one we should be fearful of. For me, we start as favourites.

Absolutely we can. 

We were there or thereabouts with a thinner, arguably weaker, squad. I don't expect it to be easy though. Portsmouth have made some excellent signings IMO, Wycombe, Peterborough will also be around.

I think what makes the league a bit 'weaker' this season is that none of the three relegated teams are in good shape. Reading are only just out of an embargo, Wigan starting on -8 and suffering, Blackpool having to replace a lot of players.

Bookies set initial odds based on a whole load of factors including computerised projections. These are adjusted as money comes in (or not). And if you look at all the odds across all teams they are not exactly pushing the boat out for us at this stage.

Really as a team we are arguably not in any better shape than last year. So many changes to accommodate and also to find out if the new lads are as good as we hope to cover the loss of our better ones from last time round. Where are the goals coming from?

I would not put money on at this stage. Mid Oct will give a good view of our progress and chances.

6 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Bookies set initial odds based on a whole load of factors including computerised projections. These are adjusted as money comes in (or not). And if you look at all the odds across all teams they are not exactly pushing the boat out for us at this stage.

Really as a team we are arguably not in any better shape than last year. So many changes to accommodate and also to find out if the new lads are as good as we hope to cover the loss of our better ones from last time round. Where are the goals coming from?

I would not put money on at this stage. Mid Oct will give a good view of our progress and chances.

The most popular bets on oddschecker are Portsmouth 10/1, Bolton 17/2, Derby 5/1, and Wigan 80/1.

At the minute, no.

Top 6 we can make a go of it, but make no mistake, there will be some good teams this year. Portsmouth, Oxford, Bolton and Barnsley will be there or there abouts. Then there are Wigan and Reading, who despite their EFL woes, seem able to strengthen.

We don't want the playoffs, we need top 2, but for that we need 3 or 4 more top signings.

All eyes on the attacking signings. We don't need Dobbin type signings, with no experience and somewhat of a risk.  We need players who we know will score goals in this division.

Whether it be Alfie May, Sam Smith, JCH, Billy Sharp.

As Iram said, anything but promotion is failure, especially when we allegedly have a budget bigger than most of our rivals.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod