Can we challenge for promation

B4ev6is

The incoming players have vastly improved the squad.  We just need to address the loss of Didzy and Knight.  Even with Knight the midfield was pretty dysfunctional last season.  Address these issues and automatics should be achievable.  Doesn't mean we will of course.  Football has a habit of biting you on the backside especially at this club.  

Playoffs really should be a minimum requirement.  Let's just be around the top two all season. If we fall into the playoffs so be it.  Hanging around 6th or 7th all season will be pretty poor really given the players available to Warne.

Something will need to have gone very wrong - whether a failing on our part or something inflicted on us like the plague of injuries in 2014/15  -  for us not to be in the automatic promotion picture come the final 5-6 games, or at the very least well placed for the playoffs (ie confident that we've got the upper hand on the teams immediately surrounding us).

We can't control the performance of other teams, or of the officials, but they aren't our lookout, only we are.. There's very little evidence from last season that any more than a handful of teams will actually raise their game when they play us, and even on the rare occasion they do we should be better prepared for it with the work being put in this pre-season and the type of signings we've already made.

Other teams may end up with marginally better / more complete and settled squads than us but that's balanced out by our trump card, that of course being Warne.

5 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Yes, Warne got Rotherham promoted three times. However, he got relegated twice.

In fact Rotherham stayed up last season, 22/23, and he wasn’t the manager for 90% of the season.

Cheers Jeff. 

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Wouldn’t know at the moment .

Not happy with striker situation.

Let's hope we know what we are doing and still on track to sign our top striker targets.

I just hope we aren't waiting for Silly Billy to make his decision, which is my fear, or we will end up scratting around last few days of the window  begging for someone to join.

13 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Unlike you to be unsure B4. Anything less than promotion this year will be abject failure. I look at our L1 competitors and see little threat. We will get at least one more decent forward; Clowes will make that happen, and a couple more useful additions will also come into the building. Then all Warne has to do is turn warm words into cold points.

Just think until we see how all gel but just like other peoples opapions on it.

10 hours ago, Warwick Ram said:

In fact Rotherham stayed up last season, 22/23, and he wasn’t the manager for 90% of the season.

In actual fact, when Warne left Rotherham they were nicely placed with 14 points from 9 games, which over the full season, would have seen them finish in 5th. Whereas the new manager's record would have ended up with 44 points, equal with Reading and Blackpool. They went from over 1.5 points per game with Warne to less than point per game without Warne.

In actual, actual fact Rotherham without Warne, had the equal lowest points per game average along with Blackpool, Reading and Wigan both received points deductions.

Edited by ram59
Clarity

1 minute ago, oomarkwright said:

Realistically somewhere between 4th and 8th. 

We've lost knight beilek didz, roberts Dobbin. 

See who else we bring in. There are still 3-4 other good clubs who have strengthened even those who finished mid table. 

Well I think signed better players than them but time will tell but liked what seen so far.

44 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

See who else we bring in. There are still 3-4 other good clubs who have strengthened even those who finished mid table. 

I feel we should try and bring Dobbin back in on loan if we can. Has legs stretcha the play and can across the front line.

28 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

No McGoldrick to cover his arse for missed chances this year.  We need a goalscorer and pronto and someone with productive pace.

I think we will hard pushed to find someone with pace and is a natural goal scorer without demand a big fee. Alfie May was my pick of centre fowards but obviously that won't happen as he has gone to Cheltenham.

1 minute ago, Ram1988 said:

I think we will hard pushed to find someone with pace and is a natural goal scorer without demand a big fee. Alfie May was my pick of centre fowards but obviously that won't happen as he has gone to Cheltenham.

Separate players rather than a singular .  I  Suspect the productive pace may be a loan.  I think getting a player who can score 20 for this league should be relatively doable for a modest fee.  The quality of defending is pedestrian at best.  

9 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Knight was 'ok' but I would hope in the wing backs Warne has brought in will be an improvement in that role. 

Roberts similarly was ok but didn't nail down his position and Warne has brought in replacements who will be equally as good I'm expecting. 

Biekik didn't play.

Dobbin - headless err chicken. Barely scored and missed a bagful. Hopefully we can get a loan in who will improve us.

Obviously McGoldrick is a big miss. Which is why we are waiting with bated breath for one or two replacements. 

We look more structured in how we intend to play, better in central defence and will come with a plan and the rest of the league is weaker. 

Sign 3 maybe 4 more players and Warne will get us up.

20 hours ago, Warwick Ram said:

Yes, Warne got Rotherham promoted three times. However, he got relegated twice.

To be fair I think he left them in 8th place in the Championship.

11 hours ago, ram59 said:

In actual fact, when Warne left Rotherham they were nicely placed with 14 points from 9 games, which over the full season, would have seen them finish in 5th. Whereas the new manager's record would have ended up with 44 points, equal with Reading and Blackpool. They went from over 1.5 points per game with Warne to less than point per game without Warne.

In actual, actual fact Rotherham without Warne, had the equal lowest points per game average along with Blackpool, Reading and Wigan both received points deductions.

But they still didn’t get relegated, which they did do twice before with Warne in charge.