Can we challenge for promation

B4ev6is

I think on paper we've got the best defence in the league by a long way. I can see us gaining more clean sheets and being more solid away from home. Going forward currently is my concern. Another striker and attacking midfield should do it though. Built from the back, I like it. 

Can't see us fearing many teams this season. The bookies are right to put us in as the favourites to win the league. I'm quietly confident. Some really smart signings and good experience. 

I can see what Warne is trying to do but as it stands I think we'll come up short again as I just don't think we'll score nearly enough goals. Even last year we suffered from failing to put games to bed and we look less this time out. I'm not sure where the spread of goals from the rest of the team is going to appear from either. The likes of Hourihane and NML will no doubt chip in but not sure about the rest. McGoldrick's goals were a huge boost but his all round craft and touch was a joy to watch at times. I just worry that we don;t have the craft and guile to unlock well organised defences. In contrast to McGoldrick, Collin's seemed to have trampoline shins and despite being quite a unit he always seemed to get outmuscled and doesn't hold the ball nearly as well, so I don't see the ball sticking up top.

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

I can see what Warne is trying to do but as it stands I think we'll come up short again as I just don't think we'll score nearly enough goals. Even last year we suffered from failing to put games to bed and we look less this time out. I'm not sure where the spread of goals from the rest of the team is going to appear from either. The likes of Hourihane and NML will no doubt chip in but not sure about the rest. McGoldrick's goals were a huge boost but his all round craft and touch was a joy to watch at times. I just worry that we don;t have the craft and guile to unlock well organised defences. In contrast to McGoldrick, Collin's seemed to have trampoline shins and despite being quite a unit he always seemed to get outmuscled and doesn't hold the ball nearly as well, so I don't see the ball sticking up top.

Fair points but I think even if we don't score many we'll continue to batter the really poor teams who won't be able to stand up press and the barrage of crosses, and fare better against the 'mid' teams (it wasn't just the top 6 we struggled against last season) because we've added players more suited to a bit of a battle and height.

I don't see any reason we shouldn't be able to find a suitable striker to make the brute-force aspects of our play pay dividends (ie a second 'fox in the box' striker to alternate with Collins such as Godden), and Ward can take people on and score from distance so that's an added threat. 

That alone may see us good for top 6, though it would be rather a grind.

Warne has stated that he wants to sign strikers/attackers who all offer something different so we can change things up tactically,  but I agree it remains a concern that we're not really being linked with anyone who would add any guile and hold-up play who would enable those changes, which might be necessary if we want to be in the automatic places (which we do).

At the minute it's hard to see how our attacking midfielders are going to be brought into play unless (like Ward) it's through their own running, or the ball falling to them when defenders make errors from our pressing (largely from CPO - Chief Pressing Officer - Washington)

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Warne has stated that he wants to sign strikers/attackers who all offer something different so we can change things up tactically,  but I agree it remains a concern that we're not really being linked with anyone who would add any guile and hold-up play, which might be necessary if we want to be in the automatic places (which we do).

At the minute it's hard to see how our attacking midfielders are going to be brought into play unless (like Ward) it's through their own running, or the ball falling to them when defenders make errors from our pressing. 

This, it could easily start the "Twitching II" thread.

Could we? Yes.

Should we be doing? Yes.

Will we? Come back to me at Christmas.

Reading, Bolton, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Peterborough and Wycombe are in the same boat. 

We will have a small squad, a few injuries to key players is all it takes to rock the boat.

Doesn't matter how many titles we have, season ticket holders, away fans or the Premier League near misses.

We are a League 1 club and it won't be easy getting into the Championship.

We have better balance in the squad now but not enough quality. Can’t see us troubling the automatic places without at least one proven goal scorer, and I don’t mean another one over the age of thirty. I just don’t see where the goals are coming from and I think we should show a little more respect to some of the other clubs in this league; the likes of Oxford, Bolton, Charlton and Portsmouth are all building decent squads and both Barnsley and Posh are still here. I’m quietly confident that we will be around the top six but really we need to be aiming for autos and that means spending a few quid on quality up front. 

I think this year L1 is slightly easier with strong teams like Wednesday, Plymouth and Ipswich going up. I reckon the 3 that have come down are weaker. defensively we seem sound we obviously just need that 20 a season goalscorer to come in which I am sure Mr Warne is working tirelessly on. once we get more attacking options in I would like to think we can finish in the top 2 otherwise the play offs in a minimum.