Billy Sharp

Dartmouth Ram

Got to say I respectfully disagree with the ‘I don’t want Sharp here’ talk and think it’s a bit daft. Yesterday was a reminder of what I think some of our problem was last year in that we really lack winners in our current side. Lots of good footballers, lots of nice players, but not many who you’d say have a real winning mentality. I do think Bradley and Nelson have a bit of that so think we are ok at the back but we lack a winner in more attacking areas and Sharp would tick that box for me no matter of his age. Also the market hasn’t moved in a way that has made players like Godden, Lapado and seemingly Smith available at this time. Derby are also in a tight market as they need 25-30 year olds, willing to play in league one but can also play consistently in front if big crowds. That isn’t easy.

We need someone who can get something out of nothing, turn draws into wins etc and I think I’d rather have Sharp here than anywhere else in this league.

6 hours ago, Srg said:

I hope we don’t sign him, regardless of who he is as a person and the history. He’s 37 for crying out loud. He’s the opposite of what this team needs. 

Plus, it’ll be painful reading people put an ‘e’ on the end of Sharp all season. 

I'll be taking an extra e all season long if we sign Billy.

17 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

We need someone who can get something out of nothing, turn draws into wins etc and I think I’d rather have Sharp here than anywhere else in this league.

Well yes, or we could try creating chances? 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

But the problem with posts like these is that Sharp may score goals, whereas Waghorn won't. And we need a goalscorer. But if we're genuinely looking at Billy Sharp and/or Jordan Rhodes, I see no reason why we shouldn't also be looking at Chris Martin too - a much better hold-up player, as well as a proven finisher. With any of these three in the team, I think we likely win the game yesterday.

I believe Martin offers more than any of the other 'oldtimers', scores comfortably with both feet and his head, takes great free kicks, intelligent, brings other players into the game and importantly, already a fan favourite, so no settling in required.

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I believe Martin offers more than any of the other 'oldtimers', scores comfortably with both feet and his head, takes great free kicks, intelligent, brings other players into the game and importantly, already a fan favourite, so no settling in required.

And will undoubtedly still be looking for a Championship deal?

Edited by RoyMac5

52 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’ll do Mark Thomas’ Job for whatever he’s being paid. Doesn’t seem to be doing anything 

Thomas was credited with identifying good young players for Oxford. If he's been given the same brief here, how fast would you expect clear results?

That's not to say I have any reason to think he's doing an exceptional job - I wouldn't know.

25 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Got to say I respectfully disagree with the ‘I don’t want Sharp here’ talk and think it’s a bit daft. Yesterday was a reminder of what I think some of our problem was last year in that we really lack winners in our current side. Lots of good footballers, lots of nice players, but not many who you’d say have a real winning mentality.

I don't object to getting a nasty piece of work in through the door - even one who doesn't like Warne's jokes or want to receive a GIF from him at midnight.

Sharp is 37 so hardly at his peak, and it seems there's a little too much water under the bridge for him to really want to play for us. I realise most footballers are mercenaries when it comes down to it, but I'd imagine there's a bit of a correlation between doing well for a club and wanting to play for them.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

But the problem with posts like these is that Sharp may score goals, whereas Waghorn won't. And we need a goalscorer. But if we're genuinely looking at Billy Sharp and/or Jordan Rhodes, I see no reason why we shouldn't also be looking at Chris Martin too - a much better hold-up player, as well as a proven finisher. With any of these three in the team, I think we likely win the game yesterday.

Pre conceived opinions I would suggest - he has proved his own opinions wrong several times so far in the past year EG didn’t rate Forsyth when he arrived, pre judged Waghorn apparently and there must be more and interestingly his hunt for the right characters has proved sometimes self defeating when they have given him their word! - anyway - look what they do on a football pitch and see if it’s what you need. You are right Chris Martin in the third division is a better player than Collins and Collins is a better player with a Chris Martin.

8 minutes ago, jameso said:

Thomas was credited with identifying good young players for Oxford. If he's been given the same brief here, how fast would you expect clear results?

That's not to say I have any reason to think he's doing an exceptional job - I wouldn't know.

I mean I’d expect us to be signing some good young players? Rather than 37 year old Billy Sharp?

Just now, Millenniumram said:

I mean I’d expect us to be signing some good young players? Rather than 37 year old Billy Sharp?

So would I, but the question remains: what is Thomas' brief? If it's the same as at Oxford (apparently), would we play a 20-year-old from Hemel Hempstead Town - or a recruit from Rangers U21s - without delay, ahead of 37-year-old Billy Sharp? I would suggest not.

(And are we seriously even in for Sharp?)

Is Thomas expected to find the players for us to sign this summer, when we don't seem to be paying any transfer fees? Or is it a longer-term plan where he finds them ready for when we are paying fees - not necessarily even this season? I don't know - do you?

6 minutes ago, jameso said:

So would I, but the question remains: what is Thomas' brief? If it's the same as at Oxford (apparently), would we play a 20-year-old from Hemel Hempstead Town - or a recruit from Rangers U21s - without delay, ahead of 37-year-old Billy Sharp? I would suggest not.

(And are we seriously even in for Sharp?)

Is Thomas expected to find the players for us to sign this summer, when we don't seem to be paying any transfer fees? Or is it a longer-term plan where he finds them ready for when we are paying fees - not necessarily even this season? I don't know - do you?

Maybe he’s been responsible for the number of additions to the under 21 squad.

49 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Pre conceived opinions I would suggest - he has proved his own opinions wrong several times so far in the past year EG didn’t rate Forsyth when he arrived, pre judged Waghorn apparently and there must be more and interestingly his hunt for the right characters has proved sometimes self defeating when they have given him their word! - anyway - look what they do on a football pitch and see if it’s what you need. You are right Chris Martin in the third division is a better player than Collins and Collins is a better player with a Chris Martin.

Every player is a better player with a chris martin… that was one of his biggest strengths. He brought players into the game high up the pitch 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I wont lie, while im sure we’re still operating within a tight business model (being a league 1 club n all) 

i did think we would be investing a little more in players who perhaps one day had some re sell value.

i realise we have to get what we can and at best bang for our buck but signing 37… 33 yos wasnt what i expected truth be told

not a critisism of the club or manager.. just surprised thats all