Paul Warne Pre-Season Interview

Caerphilly Ram

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Didn’t he mean he wasn’t sure he was going to play on for the upcoming season? As in he was potentially considering retirement once the season came to an end, as well as considering a contract extension with us or moving back to Notts for his last hurrah 

yes agree I think that’s what he meant. But slightly struggle to believe Didzy would have refused a decent offer to perform remunerative wizardry to widespread acclaim for a further 12 months. 

Sorry if not exactly the right place, but why are some of the opinion that winning the league is “no hard task”? League 1 is a tough league and if we start showing up expecting to have won the match before a ball is kicked it will show us up.

It’s professional football, yes we’re used to being the league above and pushing for the top flight, but we don’t have a squad of that calibre currently, nor is the club in a position it once was to attract players of a certain quality.

Shouldn’t these expectations be tempered with a little bit of realism of where DCFC is now? 

3 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Going out at the top?

Was going to say similar, by his own admission he considered hanging up his boots last summer then we came calling. Had a great season, perhaps he thought it was a fitting way to bow out (then clearly had a change of heart). 

One of the things Warne talked about was not just the importance of the physical but also the players psychological fitness. The ability and willingness to keep playing right up to the final whistle, that they can achieve their ultimate goal.

I think that we the fans play a significant role with the psychological aspect. I believe the fight against the adversities the club as faced recently, brought out a more positive atmosphere amongst the fans, a willingness,a belief we can beat any difficulty and this positivity spread to the players.

Worryingly after listening to the expectation of some fans for the coming season. I fear that if these expectations are not met, we will see the criticism of the team start to increase, and this negativity  will easily spread to the players and impact on their performances.

So while the the club may have been saved, it is still recovering from this near fatality. We need to carry on giving the same level of support this season, that the team as had over these past years.

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Sorry, possibly my fault but that old duffer Brailsford started it 😉

Lets get back on track. I suggested last night, after a good few beers, that I was an anti-Warne’r - that’s not entirely correct. I was against his appointment, I am not keen on his tactics, and I would rather listen to 5 hours of the Spice Girls, than 5 minutes of his pre/post game analyses.
However, he should be given this season (by me, and others who have similar doubts) to prove himself to be a better coach/manager than we have him down for. So come on Paul Warne!  Prove me wrong, buy some decent players, forge a decent attractive team, and get us promoted in style such that our next season in the Championship will be a very successful and competitive one too.
Time to start being a Cox.

I can’t wait to see your description of a manager you’re really anti, good few beers or not 😉

On 16/06/2023 at 17:20, simmoram1995 said:

• Close to a few 

• wants 5 in by pre season 

• has a video call x2 attacking players 

spoke really well the only thing I don’t really like is this idea of character every team has good characters and bad characters If we had a bad character who scored the goals to get us out the league so be it tbh. Our current set of players might be nice but are they tough enough that’s the difference 

That is an assumption.  I think he would agree with you, but he wants to build a team.

Generally, you want to build togetherness.  If he sees something special, I suspect he'd go with it - but he has a way of working that David Clowes buys into.  That is how it is going to be - his way or the highway.  If you do not like Warne's training regime, or you are Mario Balitelli-esque then you will not fit in (or you need to be so good he is willing to overlook the otherside).  Fergie did this with Cantona.

I suspect Warne would argue that when you have a side of twenty you absolutely cannot afford to have those with bad charactoristics as it affects everyone more profoundly than a squad of forty.

23 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

You really think 20 players is enough?

Or do you think our record breakingly bad U21 side is full of gems? 

I think a massive team is expensive.  I  think we have a budget.  I think by spending our money on who is going to play rather than sitting on the bench is a good idea.  I think building a solid match team is the way to go, and if required dip into the U21.

I get the impression with you that you think we are flushed for cash.  We are not. 

4 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

I think a massive team is expensive.  I  think we have a budget.  I think by spending our money on who is going to play rather than sitting on the bench is a good idea.  I think building a solid match team is the way to go, and if required dip into the U21.

I get the impression with you that you think we are flushed for cash.  We are not. 

A massive team is not necessarily expensive. Otherwise most teams wouldn’t have more than 18 players, which is clearly not the case. And I don’t mean a massive Forest Esque squad anyway, clearly that’s stupid, I just mean a regular sized squad bigger than the paper thin one we had last year.

Nobody is saying spend loads of money on backup players. But they do need to be there. Otherwise when injuries hit  (and they will), we’ll be ducked. The U21 team doesn’t exist. 

Relative to the rest of the league, we’re not poor. We’re not financially struggling to compete.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

A massive team is not necessarily expensive. Otherwise most teams wouldn’t have more than 18 players, which is clearly not the case. And I don’t mean a massive Forest Esque squad anyway, clearly that’s stupid, I just mean a regular sized squad bigger than the paper thin one we had last year.

Nobody is saying spend loads of money on backup players. But they do need to be there. Otherwise when injuries hit  (and they will), we’ll be ducked. The U21 team doesn’t exist. 

Relative to the rest of the league, we’re not poor. We’re not financially struggling to compete.

Just hunch here but could be an element of not wanting to hand out 3 year contracts to players who are only on the bench in league one when we don’t want to still be here then. 

20-22 contracted first team squad players is absolutely fine providing its bolstered by 5 loan players. You want to be able to rotate a few of your loan spots in the season, to add to any problematic areas. The ideal for me would be two season long loans which would be an investment, with three short term loans that can be addressed in January. 

Burton Albion used 41 players last season, most teams use more than 30 plus players at this level. What we can’t do is try to be smart but ultimately leave ourselves short and unable to fill gaps. 

27 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

20-22 contracted first team squad players is absolutely fine providing its bolstered by 5 loan players. You want to be able to rotate a few of your loan spots in the season, to add to any problematic areas. The ideal for me would be two season long loans which would be an investment, with three short term loans that can be addressed in January. 

Burton Albion used 41 players last season, most teams use more than 30 plus players at this level. What we can’t do is try to be smart but ultimately leave ourselves short and unable to fill gaps. 

I agree. Having 20 first time players contacted to us is smart if we can also get 5 loans in (giving us a playing sqaud of 25). Having a playing sqaud/pool of 20 players would be a disaster.

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Burton signed 11 players to replace the 10 departures in January. If you get recruitment right in the summer (and in previous sessons), the turnover won't need to be so great). This gives them an effective players used of 31. 

Only 19 of their player were on the pitch for more than 1000 minutes in all competitions (17 in the league). For Derby, we used 16 in all competitions and 15 in the league.

We may have used 22 players, but we really only had a 15 man squad. Stearman and Chester barely used for obvious reason. Rooney and Tommo perhaps should have been used more, but we're deemed not ready. Osula, White, Springett all loaned in but judged not to be good enough for more gane time.

The target will be for a core squad of 17/18 to play 1000+ mins, with 3 or 4 first team members playing smaller roles (500-999 mins). 5 or 6 youths to be given a taste of first team football (1-499 mins). Then a couple of changes in January due to injuries, fitness, performances, etc...

15 hours ago, 1of4 said:

One of the things Warne talked about was not just the importance of the physical but also the players psychological fitness. The ability and willingness to keep playing right up to the final whistle, that they can achieve their ultimate goal.

I think that we the fans play a significant role with the psychological aspect. I believe the fight against the adversities the club as faced recently, brought out a more positive atmosphere amongst the fans, a willingness,a belief we can beat any difficulty and this positivity spread to the players.

Worryingly after listening to the expectation of some fans for the coming season. I fear that if these expectations are not met, we will see the criticism of the team start to increase, and this negativity  will easily spread to the players and impact on their performances.

So while the the club may have been saved, it is still recovering from this near fatality. We need to carry on giving the same level of support this season, that the team as had over these past years.

Fortunately theres also a good number of more level headed fans too

But i do echo your concerns 

On 16/06/2023 at 17:26, Caerphilly Ram said:

He provides more context to it for sure. People are keen to pick up on just that point, he explains he wants good people, who are also good footballers and will improve the team, wanting them to focus more on collective success rather than individual success. Take the Warne-isms out of it and that’s exactly what I would want in a team

Edit - In fact here’s the quote;

On being linked to numerous players...

We've got to try and sign players that are good people and I get hammered for saying that but if they want to come and work for this great club, they have to be good people.

They have to be good footballers, good athletes and they have to buy into the way we play, the way we press and the energy we want from a team.

Also and this is a lot different to a lot of teams in our league - they have to be able to play in front of 30,000 people. If you're used to playing in front of 5,000 people every week and you're the big fish in a small pond - can you do it in front of 30,000 supporters?

We get linked to loads of players but we have to try and get them right because once you sign someone on a two or three year deal and you don't get it right, you are causing yourself problems.

We won't run a big squad, we might have around 20-22 players, so we have to try and get everything right.

I understand why we get linked to loads of players and I understand why it's frustrating for fans when we don't sign players but if we signed seven or eight players today - what are you going to do for the next few weeks and talk about? You might as well enjoy the next few weeks and all that pre-season brings with it!

Embrace one another it’s all about signing affection and this lot have just landed at Pride Park……….