Paul Warne Pre-Season Interview

Caerphilly Ram

I figured this deserves its own thread as Warne discusses a number of the points we have multiple threads dedicated to. He discusses the progress of transfer negotiations, Didzy leaving, the club being a draw for players, the calibre of players he’s working to sign…. Give it a watch;

For anyone not wanting to watch it in full there is a written summary of the key points here also;

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/06/warne-interview-post-season-june-23

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added link to the website

• Close to a few 

• wants 5 in by pre season 

• has a video call x2 attacking players 

spoke really well the only thing I don’t really like is this idea of character every team has good characters and bad characters If we had a bad character who scored the goals to get us out the league so be it tbh. Our current set of players might be nice but are they tough enough that’s the difference 

3 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

It seems someone has got under his skin over his assertion that he only wants to recruit good people 😗 

He provides more context to it for sure. People are keen to pick up on just that point, he explains he wants good people, who are also good footballers and will improve the team, wanting them to focus more on collective success rather than individual success. Take the Warne-isms out of it and that’s exactly what I would want in a team

Edit - In fact here’s the quote;

On being linked to numerous players...

We've got to try and sign players that are good people and I get hammered for saying that but if they want to come and work for this great club, they have to be good people.

They have to be good footballers, good athletes and they have to buy into the way we play, the way we press and the energy we want from a team.

Also and this is a lot different to a lot of teams in our league - they have to be able to play in front of 30,000 people. If you're used to playing in front of 5,000 people every week and you're the big fish in a small pond - can you do it in front of 30,000 supporters?

We get linked to loads of players but we have to try and get them right because once you sign someone on a two or three year deal and you don't get it right, you are causing yourself problems.

We won't run a big squad, we might have around 20-22 players, so we have to try and get everything right.

I understand why we get linked to loads of players and I understand why it's frustrating for fans when we don't sign players but if we signed seven or eight players today - what are you going to do for the next few weeks and talk about? You might as well enjoy the next few weeks and all that pre-season brings with it!

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

understand why we get linked to loads of players and I understand why it's frustrating for fans when we don't sign players but if we signed seven or eight players today - what are you going to do for the next few weeks and talk about? You might as well enjoy the next few weeks and all that pre-season brings with it!

Love this comment to be honest - could be just amazing media/PR script and I’m sure some on here will be cynical - the first game league game is still some time away - and I would wager we will still be looking to add the final touches to the squad after that date (as will almost everyone else). 

I for one am going to enjoy the roller coaster of the summer transfer window and all it brings!! 

Just now, sage said:

I reckon 2 or 3 have signed already, but their contracts don't start till 1st July. He kind of catches himself and says he can't say too much. 

8 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

Love this comment to be honest - could be just amazing media/PR script and I’m sure some on here will be cynical - the first game league game is still some time away - and I would wager we will still be looking to add the final touches to the squad after that date (as will almost everyone else). 

I for one am going to enjoy the roller coaster of the summer transfer window and all it brings!! 

Why do I have a feeling the admin might announce something like this tonight or tomorrow 

here’s one for the ☀️ Day 👀

19 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He provides more context to it for sure. People are keen to pick up on just that point, he explains he wants good people, who are also good footballers and will improve the team, wanting them to focus more on collective success rather than individual success. Take the Warne-isms out of it and that’s exactly what I would want in a team

Edit - In fact here’s the quote;

On being linked to numerous players...

We've got to try and sign players that are good people and I get hammered for saying that but if they want to come and work for this great club, they have to be good people.

They have to be good footballers, good athletes and they have to buy into the way we play, the way we press and the energy we want from a team.

Also and this is a lot different to a lot of teams in our league - they have to be able to play in front of 30,000 people. If you're used to playing in front of 5,000 people every week and you're the big fish in a small pond - can you do it in front of 30,000 supporters?

We get linked to loads of players but we have to try and get them right because once you sign someone on a two or three year deal and you don't get it right, you are causing yourself problems.

We won't run a big squad, we might have around 20-22 players, so we have to try and get everything right.

I understand why we get linked to loads of players and I understand why it's frustrating for fans when we don't sign players but if we signed seven or eight players today - what are you going to do for the next few weeks and talk about? You might as well enjoy the next few weeks and all that pre-season brings with it!

This point is a real concern. Our squad was too small last season and he seems to want it to be smaller.

20 players is nowhere near enough depth 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

This point is a real concern. Our squad was too small last season and he seems to want it to be smaller.

This is a point he’s already made last season and isn’t new news. Also feel it’s made up on budget too, though, not wholly preference. 

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He said 20-22. And don’t forget the academy squad needs a rebuild so there may be some players in that mould that are also being brought in with the expectation they can step up when required

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

And he accepted that during the lengthy post season interview he did.  I did feel this interview felt like a bit of a step back in terms of squad numbers.

Edited by Blondest Goat

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It could be. I guess it depends on who those 20-22 players are and what depth there is in the academy.
If it’s 22 players more in that peak age bracket, with a bit of flexibility across being able to play multiple positions with some of the younger lads getting minutes in the pizza cup then it may work.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

24 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not sure I agree, we are used to having a big squad with a lot of older legs that would struggle to play the full season. 

For arguments sake let’s say we had a squad for 442: 

GK x 2 

CB x 4 

RB/LB x 2 with cover players from midfield. 

CM x 4 (at least one of which can cover full back) 

Wingers x 4 (at least one of which can play centrally as additional rotation forward) 

Strikers x 3

Thats a squad of 19 senior players. Another 5 players who are on the cusp from academy and that seems plenty, with relevant reinforcements in January 

25 minutes ago, Srg said:

This is a point he’s already made last season and isn’t new news. Also feel it’s made up on budget too, though, not wholly preference. 

He previously admitted he got that wrong though, which I was relieved to hear. Thought he was learning from his mistakes.

We’re no longer under such strong restrictions, I refuse to believe that Oxford can afford a full squad but we can’t.

23 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

He said 20-22. And don’t forget the academy squad needs a rebuild so there may be some players in that mould that are also being brought in with the expectation they can step up when required

22 isn’t really enough either. I generally say 25 is the ideal squad amount. Any major injuries and you’re ducked with only 22 players. With only 20 you’re ducked anyway, that’s ridiculously thin.

We can’t rely on the academy as things stand, it’s a mess. There’s no quality coming through any time soon. The new academy manager will be sorting that out, but it takes time. I’d be surprised if anyone comes through for the next 3 years.