Paul Warne Pre-Season Interview

Caerphilly Ram

16 hours ago, 1of4 said:

One of the things Warne talked about was not just the importance of the physical but also the players psychological fitness. The ability and willingness to keep playing right up to the final whistle, that they can achieve their ultimate goal.

‘one of the things’ ?  I would have said ‘the main thing…” 

Wanted, headless chickens who don't object to receiving endless quirky emails from their employer day or night. 

On 17/06/2023 at 08:44, JakeDCFC said:

I was scrolling through and all of a sudden I see Boris Johnson being mentioned. Was trying to figure out how the topic even got brought up in a thread about Paul Warne 😭

Middle of the back 3 as a blocker 🤷🏻‍♂️

21 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

‘one of the things’ ?  I would have said ‘the main thing…” 

Wanted, headless chickens who don't object to receiving endless quirky emails from their employer day or night. 

That’s a bad take. Let’s look at what was actually said rather than another heavily opinionated assumption 

Wanted:

“We need the players that can play in the league above and have got a bit of experience
I want the players that will make big sacrifices and are fully determined for success.

We need players that are prepared to learn and believe in the team more than themselves.

They have to be good footballers, good athletes and they have to buy into the way we play, the way we press and the energy we want from a team.

Also and this is a lot different to a lot of teams in our league - they have to be able to play in front of 30,000 people.

It's a psychology more than a physicality for me. I'm not here to break players but I am here to push boundaries and to try and get more out of the team.

We're trying to make them physically resilient for a 10 month season but a lot of that comes from mentality.

From that, hopefully you can build a squad and a team that are exciting to watch.”

Ignore how Warne says things and look at what he’s actually saying, he wants hard working and capable footballers who know what it means to play for this club and will put the team effort above themselves, what about that is such a bad thing?! From those quotes I’d say it’s more like; 

Wanted - football players with the ability and mentality to play for a well supported club planning to push for promotion. Must understand this is a team sport and all members of the squad will play a part in shared success. The plan is that the team will play with a high press, which means physicality and athleticism will be part of our identity as will playing an exciting brand of football. Ability to put up with manager’s rubbish jokes and constant pestering are an added desirable requirement.

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s a bad take. Let’s look at what was actually said rather than another heavily opinionated assumption 

Wanted:

“We need the players that can play in the league above and have got a bit of experience
I want the players that will make big sacrifices and are fully determined for success.

We need players that are prepared to learn and believe in the team more than themselves.

They have to be good footballers, good athletes and they have to buy into the way we play, the way we press and the energy we want from a team.

Also and this is a lot different to a lot of teams in our league - they have to be able to play in front of 30,000 people.

It's a psychology more than a physicality for me. I'm not here to break players but I am here to push boundaries and to try and get more out of the team.

We're trying to make them physically resilient for a 10 month season but a lot of that comes from mentality.

From that, hopefully you can build a squad and a team that are exciting to watch.”

Ignore how Warne says things and look at what he’s actually saying, he wants hard working and capable footballers who know what it means to play for this club and will put the team effort above themselves, what about that is such a bad thing?! From those quotes I’d say it’s more like; 

Wanted - football players with the ability and mentality to play for a well supported club planning to push for promotion. Must understand this is a team sport and all members of the squad will play a part in shared success. The plan is that the team will play with a high press, which means physicality and athleticism will be part of our identity as will playing an exciting brand of football. Ability to put up with manager’s rubbish jokes and constant pestering are an added desirable requirement.

You’re reasoning with the unreasonable. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

You’re reasoning with the unreasonable. 

I know, I keep falling into the trap. I get people don’t like Warne, we’re all entitled to our opinions on him and some of the observations on tactics (at times!) last season I agreed with, I had real concerns with his in game management. He has acknowledged a number of his own failings himself, is talking about improving on last season and building a team. I just don’t get what’s stopping people getting behind it for now, he’s clearly not going anywhere. 

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Worryingly after listening to the expectation of some fans for the coming season. I fear that if these expectations are not met, we will see the criticism of the team start to increase, and this negativity  will easily spread to the players and impact on their performances.

Don't worry too much on that one Notts, a lot of the detractors who complain the loudest pay only occasional visits to Pride Park. From the more regular attendees I think Warne will be given more than a fair chance for now as he tries to get us back up. 

On 16/06/2023 at 18:16, Millenniumram said:

22 isn’t really enough either. I generally say 25 is the ideal squad amount. Any major injuries and you’re ducked with only 22 players. With only 20 you’re ducked anyway, that’s ridiculously thin.

We can’t rely on the academy as things stand, it’s a mess. There’s no quality coming through any time soon. The new academy manager will be sorting that out, but it takes time. I’d be surprised if anyone comes through for the next 3 years. 

Depends if we can bring in any academy players. Plange and Ebiowei both came in having been released from other academies and quickly stepped up to the 1st team. I hope we pick up a few gems this way.

On 17/06/2023 at 10:14, mrdave85 said:

Sorry if not exactly the right place, but why are some of the opinion that winning the league is “no hard task”? League 1 is a tough league and if we start showing up expecting to have won the match before a ball is kicked it will show us up.

It’s professional football, yes we’re used to being the league above and pushing for the top flight, but we don’t have a squad of that calibre currently, nor is the club in a position it once was to attract players of a certain quality.

Shouldn’t these expectations be tempered with a little bit of realism of where DCFC is now? 

Because it then justifies their own narrative which starts from a false premise they are making.

We should be winning the league with the players we have therefore the problem lies with the manager. 

I also skim read a few threads on here recently; one am sure said they we are preseason favourites for promotion.

How that can be when we don't even know what players we'll have at the club at the start of the season is beyond me.

Maybe those same people also believe that hype too. 

29 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I also skim read a few threads on here recently; one am sure said they we are preseason favourites for promotion.

How that can be when we don't even know what players we'll have at the club at the start of the season is beyond me.

Maybe those same people also believe that hype too. 

The fact that the bookmakers have made us favourites at present is not a reflection of how good a team they think we have; it is reflected by the amount of money that punters are staking on us at present. The more that is placed, the lower the odds will become. The bookie's will not stand by and get burned.

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Wanted:

Great post mate.

but wouldnt waste ur breath some people on here have an anti warne agenda and are sitting there waiting for him to fail so they can say we told u so.. shame their energy isnt channeled into getting behind the club and the manager … some have incredibly short memories. 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I know, I keep falling into the trap. I get people don’t like Warne, we’re all entitled to our opinions on him and some of the observations on tactics (at times!) last season I agreed with, I had real concerns with his in game management. He has acknowledged a number of his own failings himself, is talking about improving on last season and building a team. I just don’t get what’s stopping people getting behind it for now, he’s clearly not going anywhere. 

When Cloughie came to Derby we heard a lot of the same stuff. Only managed a lower league club, got a big mouth, rubs the players up the wrong way etc etc.

Even when he left some people were saying he’ll never do it at another club. Now I’m not suggesting Warne is another Clough but some of the stuff being posted on here is twaddle. Give the guy a chance then, if he messes up, have a go at him if you must.

On 17/06/2023 at 10:14, mrdave85 said:

Sorry if not exactly the right place, but why are some of the opinion that winning the league is “no hard task”? League 1 is a tough league and if we start showing up expecting to have won the match before a ball is kicked it will show us up.

It’s professional football, yes we’re used to being the league above and pushing for the top flight, but we don’t have a squad of that calibre currently, nor is the club in a position it once was to attract players of a certain quality.

Shouldn’t these expectations be tempered with a little bit of realism of where DCFC is now? 

How many people said "no hard task" for you to state "some"?

The target this season absolutely should be top 2 and anything less would he a failure as far as I'm concerned.

The starting point is the performance of the squad last season. We were 4th highest placed out of the teams staying down (Barnsley, Bolton and Peterborough). A lot of that being down to multiple referee decsions.

Then there's the 3 coming down, two of those are in such a mess they'll be lucky if they finish top half. Add only Blackpool to the challenging group.

Portsmouth, Wycombe and Charlton are then next best placed to mount promotion challenges. However, they'd need to improve by 20-30 points on last season to be serious contenders. I just don't see that happening.

Our main list of challengers are therefore: Blackpool, Barnsley, Bolton and Peterborough.

Peterborough are trying to sell their top goalscorer, the only player they had who scored more than 10 goals, and are desperately trying to keep hold of their top assister. Two key players they need to replace just to stand still, after sneaking in to 6th due to a referee mistake in a different game.

Evanton has been at Bolton for 3 years now so they've had plenty of time to get the players in to suit his style. I didn't see anything last season which made me think they'll be pushing for the title next season. Trafford and Bradley were two of their most important players last season. Both were only on loan and won't be going back.

Blackpool. 6 players went back to their parents clubs when their season ended and 10 others didn't have their contracts renewed. A lot of players to replace, but they'll be up there.

6 players also left Barnsley to return to their parent clubs. They haven't lost anyone else they want to keep yet. They'll be fancying their chances of winning the league too.

We have by far the biggest budget in this league. We have more potential than any other L1 club. Warne has had a long time to prepare for this transfer window. We shouldn't have any excuses for failure this time round.

2 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

The fact that the bookmakers have made us favourites at present is not a reflection of how good a team they think we have; it is reflected by the amount of money that punters are staking on us at present. The more that is placed, the lower the odds will become. The bookie's will not stand by and get burned.

I know that.

I made that point as some people may genuinely believe that hype which was answering the OPs original question why do we think winning League 1 is no hard task.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I know that.

I made that point as some people may genuinely believe that hype which was answering the OPs original question why do we think winning League 1 is no hard task.

Winning the league is not the priority, getting promoted is. That should be straightforward, as nicely summarised in the post above. Warne needs to buy/loan some decent players, and coach them to win in a piss poor league. No hard task. I might turn up to a few more games this season. @Brailsford Ram seems to think my attendance might make some difference.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

How many people said "no hard task" for you to state "some"?

The target this season absolutely should be top 2 and anything less would he a failure as far as I'm concerned.

The starting point is the performance of the squad last season. We were 4th highest placed out of the teams staying down (Barnsley, Bolton and Peterborough). A lot of that being down to multiple referee decsions.

Then there's the 3 coming down, two of those are in such a mess they'll be lucky if they finish top half. Add only Blackpool to the challenging group.

Portsmouth, Wycombe and Charlton are then next best placed to mount promotion challenges. However, they'd need to improve by 20-30 points on last season to be serious contenders. I just don't see that happening.

Our main list of challengers are therefore: Blackpool, Barnsley, Bolton and Peterborough.

Peterborough are trying to sell their top goalscorer, the only player they had who scored more than 10 goals, and are desperately trying to keep hold of their top assister. Two key players they need to replace just to stand still, after sneaking in to 6th due to a referee mistake in a different game.

Evanton has been at Bolton for 3 years now so they've had plenty of time to get the players in to suit his style. I didn't see anything last season which made me think they'll be pushing for the title next season. Trafford and Bradley were two of their most important players last season. Both were only on loan and won't be going back.

Blackpool. 6 players went back to their parents clubs when their season ended and 10 others didn't have their contracts renewed. A lot of players to replace, but they'll be up there.

6 players also left Barnsley to return to their parent clubs. They haven't lost anyone else they want to keep yet. They'll be fancying their chances of winning the league too.

We have by far the biggest budget in this league. We have more potential than any other L1 club. Warne has had a long time to prepare for this transfer window. We shouldn't have any excuses for failure this time round.

Entirely agree with this. 

I still see failing to make the play offs last season as a failure, along with not enjoying the style of play Warne was attempting to implement. However I’m also willing to cut him the slack on it not being his team, not being allowed to spend any money, joining mid season and not having a pre season with the squad.

Going into next season, 3 of the bigger teams outside of us have left, leaving probably Bolton and Pompy as the only other “big” teams in this division.

With the restrictions being lifted, the time Warne has had to asses the squad, decide what kind of football he wants to play and now the summer to sign the players to play it. Anything but promotion should be considered a failure. I’d be disappointed if we didn’t make the top two, but we have to be going up.

Massive summer ahead that’s for sure.

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Winning the league is not the priority, getting promoted is. That should be straightforward, as nicely summarised in the post above. Warne needs to buy/loan some decent players, and coach them to win in a piss poor league. No hard task. I might turn up to a few more games this season. @Brailsford Ram seems to think my attendance might make some difference.

No stay down south. I'll arrange you some complementaries to watch Brighton 😆

3 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

No stay down south. I'll arrange you some complementaries to watch Brighton 😆

I would rather stick pins in my eyes than go and cheer on Brighton. Happy to have some free tickets to either Spurs or Arsenal though. Of course they would be complimentaries though

Kate Mckinnon Flirting GIF by Saturday Night Live