Paul Warne Pre-Season Interview

Caerphilly Ram

2 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

To which one? You mentioned Portsmouth at home, which was an awful 1-1 draw. 

You mentioned about you can't see why people don't like his tactics so I told you why and used an example?

Bristol rovers at home. 

rosenior threw away a 2 nil lead to Plymouth. Worst game of the season against Lincoln away if you thought Bristol rovers away was bad Lincoln was worse. 

Just now, Barney1991 said:

rosenior threw away a 2 nil lead to Plymouth. Worst game of the season against Lincoln away if you thought Bristol rovers away was bad Lincoln was worse. 

Plymouth who won the league and looked the better side all game? Sure we shouldn't have lost. But an offside goal and a Cashin howler isn't exactly Rosenior's fault.

We beat more top 12 teams under Rosenior than we did under Warne, despite Warne managing 37 more games. 

Lincoln wasn't as bad as Fleetwood at home for example. We scored 2 goals incorrectly ruled out for offside and conceded a harsh penalty.

45 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

I’d love for the reasons why people really dislike warne. 

The number of people who actually dislike Warne vs the number you perceive to dislike Warne will be vastly different. It's posts exactly like the two you just put up that will get people arguing with you, which you'll probably then take as meaning that said poster has some genuine ill-feeling toward Warne!

Your posts contained...

- An overblown romanticism about Warne's spell in charge so far and an unwillingness to accept that there was anything he could improve on (even though he himself has taken responsibility for some errors you'd likely claim weren't errors!).

- An inability to assess one manager without slagging off another, using equally exaggerated tropes that don't really hold true to what we were doing and conveniently ignores any good football seen under previous managers. (This might also come across as you blaming previous managers for any failings on Warne's part)

- Comparisons which don't really hold any weight, by virtue of not taking the level of opposition into consideration.

- Telling people who complain about his style that they "don't know what they're talking about"  etc

All of which will help turn a reasoned conversation about the pros and cons of Warne's management into a horrible fractious little debate.

Paul Warne seems like the kind of bloke you could talk football with ,in the pub , all night. But management is a brutal business to be in . Look at Gary O’Neil , took over after they had been trounced 9-0, kept them up in the toughest league in the world. Now sacked.Paul must fancy a go at the Prem , but will have to be successful in Lg 1 and Championship first.

6 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Plymouth who won the league and looked the better side all game? Sure we shouldn't have lost. But an offside goal and a Cashin howler isn't exactly Rosenior's fault.

We beat more top 12 teams under Rosenior than we did under Warne, despite Warne managing 37 more games. 

Lincoln wasn't as bad as Fleetwood at home for example. We scored 2 goals incorrectly ruled out for offside and conceded a harsh penalty.

And Rosenior never had a fully fit McGoldrick 😅

Just jumped on to get an idea of the content of Paul Warnes interview.

Just checking out after being hit with the reality that the temptation still can't be missed by the usual suspects to railroad this topic (and others) into another forum to air their gripes about Warne as a manager.

Quite sad that's it that predictable.

Maybe we could all wait and judge Warne based on results next season? In the team he took over there were perhaps a handful of players with qualities that fit the way Warne seems to want to play football. Now he almost has the chance to shape the entire team himself and if the results are not better, it is of course not good enough in this abysmal league. However, there is a chance that next season we will actually find a winning formula and then everything will be peace and joy. Puts the pitchfork back into storage myself until a few months into the coming season. It can always be picked up again...

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just jumped on to get an idea of the content of Paul Warnes interview.

Just checking out after being hit with the reality that the temptation still can't be missed by the usual suspects to railroad this topic (and others) into another forum to air their gripes about Warne as a manager.

Quite sad that's it that predictable.

You could have taken 15 minutes to watch the interview on the OS, and got the full flavour of the interview direct from the horses mouth.

Instead, you've spent I would guess a similar amount of time, if not more, trying to decipher his message from the responses on here, and are complaining that people who actually have taken the time to watch the interview have an opinion which doesn't coincide with your own.

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

You could have taken 15 minutes to watch the interview on the OS, and got the full flavour of the interview direct from the horses mouth.

Instead, you've spent I would guess a similar amount of time, if not more, trying to decipher his message from the responses on here, and are complaining that people who actually have taken the time to watch the interview have an opinion which doesn't coincide with your own.

The last few pages of the thread descended into the standard stuff from the usual protagonists and had really little to do with the interview itself but another points scoring exercise.

Take on board your comments about listening to the interview myself though which in hindsight should have done rather than go against my better judgement.

For those of you that haven't listened to the " Moment Of Truth " podcast on BBC IPlayer, I suggest you do so. It follows Paul Warne and Oxford's Karl Robinson in the "business end" of the 21-22 season, both striving to get their respective teams promoted. It's very insightful into the world of a lower (FL) league  manager.

I remember thinking at the time, this is the sort of bloke I'd love to manage our club, though I never expected it to be so.

Nothing has changed in my opinion of him since DC appointed him. I'm guessing he (DC) heard the podcast too, which may have led to him investigating PW further as our potential manager.

We had a less than ideal start to last season and PW was drafted in, in September when many things were outside his control. The squad was what it was (LR's mainly), there wasn't much wiggle room in January - and I personally think he did a decent job, with a squad that was mainly handed to him to do the best with.

I don't want to come across as a fanboy, but in our big reset after near oblivion, I'd sooner trust our managerial future to him than anyone else I could think of. I'm tired of big name managers underperforming. I think Paul Warne will make the best of what budget and players are available to us.

Football is a very fickle world and more often than not, bigger budgets don't equate to proportionate success. I do think though, we have a better chance of success under PW than anyone available to us in our current situation.

I'll put on my tin hat and await opprobrium from some....

Edited by Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster

Have to agree with @Tyler Durden this topic is for his latest interview. But it’s now ‘Paul Warne appointed as Derby Manager v2’. 

I thought the interview was good and helpful when the fan base was starting to get anxious about signings etc. I like PW interview style and don’t understand why people are against us having a nice/quirky man as manager.

10 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Have to agree with @Tyler Durden this topic is for his latest interview. But it’s now ‘Paul Warne appointed as Derby Manager v2’. 

I thought the interview was good and helpful when the fan base was starting to get anxious about signings etc. I like PW interview style and don’t understand why people are against us having a nice/quirky man as manager.

If they think Warne is quirky they couldn't have handled Clough senior when he managed us.

• 3 weeks later...

"Speaking today at the club's Moor Farm training ground, Warne said the search for forwards is a problem affecting all clubs.

"I think I'm getting really close to getting one, I would ideally have four strikers (in the squad), But they are the hardest to get," he said.

"I was on an EFL thing yesterday talking to managers saying how difficult it was to sign players at the moment. The agents are putting the prices up and there is a real dearth of proper goalscoring strikers.

"You can see that in the Premier League, the Championship, in every league they, they're very difficult to get.

"Ideally I would have four, if I'm honest, I think it's more likely that I'll have three because I could have three better ones or four average ones. And I don't want four average ones.

"I want three that all bring something different and that enable us to change the game physically or tactically.

"I might be able to get one before I go away. Hopefully. Then hopefully the work will continue with the other one I need in..."

Other details given in the interview on the DT site.

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cheers @RoyMac5 Sounds better in full with context than just reading the quotes in print. Hope we are able to add some strikers soon, think expectations are being tempered as to what and who we are going to sign. So long as the team works as a cohesive unit and wins more than they draw/lose I’ll be happy enough, even if we end up with 3 more agricultural strikers than the grace and poise of McGoldrick. 

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is it just because it's preseason or is Warne relaxing into the interviews somewhat and not trying so hard?

Pre-season form. He’s about to put on his sandals and budgie smugglers in Spain for a week. He’s feeling it.