Paul Warne Pre-Season Interview

Caerphilly Ram

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Not sure I agree, we are used to having a big squad with a lot of older legs that would struggle to play the full season. 

For arguments sake let’s say we had a squad for 442: 

GK x 2 

CB x 4 

RB/LB x 2 with cover players from midfield. 

CM x 4 (at least one of which can cover full back) 

Wingers x 4 (at least one of which can play centrally as additional rotation forward) 

Strikers x 3

Thats a squad of 19 senior players. Another 5 players who are on the cusp from academy and that seems plenty, with relevant reinforcements in January 

We currently only have 7 players registered in the under 21 squad.

1 minute ago, Foreveram said:

We currently only have 7 players registered in the under 21 squad.

Assume that’s why we’ve brought in a new academy manager, given the free rein to completely refresh the academy. 

There are always going to be players who are on the cusp between the first team and youth team in the same way Rooney was last season.

Warne gives an interview highlighting a number of good things and answering a number of concerns present in the fan base, so of course the natural thing is to jump on one of the things he says to draw out the negatives over any positives.

He has admitted the failure to strengthen last season’s squad was part of why we failed, last season’s squad was imbalanced with plenty of depth in some areas and none in others. If he’s able to recruit a more balanced squad with the right players, more of whom are at the peak age bracket, able to play in the way he wants them to, how do you know the squad of 20-22 wouldn’t work for promotion next season? After all it’s worked for Warne and his staff on 3 previous occasions hasn’t it? 

15 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne gives an interview highlighting a number of good things and answering a number of concerns present in the fan base, so of course the natural thing is to jump on one of the things he says to draw out the negatives over any positives.

He has admitted the failure to strengthen last season’s squad was part of why we failed, last season’s squad was imbalanced with plenty of depth in some areas and none in others. If he’s able to recruit a more balanced squad with the right players, more of whom are at the peak age bracket, able to play in the way he wants them to, how do you know the squad of 20-22 wouldn’t work for promotion next season? After all it’s worked for Warne and his staff on 3 previous occasions hasn’t it? 

Was going to say something similar. 

Basically, if you’re of a positive or neutral disposition, you will have liked the interview. If you’re anti-Warne already then it’s going to have done very little. And let’s face it, we could win the title this year and the anti-warners would pick fault with the style of play or some other nonsense. 

20 players is fine as long as (and this is key) your U21’s are trusted to fill a squad if needed.

With everyone fit that’s 2 players not even making a matchday squad. Any more than that starts getting a bit messy and hard to manage. 25 first teamers is 7 players not making the squad. 

Sure you’ll get injuries which is why you need young players comfortable being a body at least. That’s a big area we’re lacking but sure it will get sorted

16 minutes ago, Srg said:

Was going to say something similar. 

Basically, if you’re of a positive or neutral disposition, you will have liked the interview. If you’re anti-Warne already then it’s going to have done very little. And let’s face it, we could win the title this year and the anti-warners would pick fault with the style of play or some other nonsense. 

Apologies for the potentially stupid question as I’m not on here anywhere near as much as I used to be…but are people on here actually anti-Warne?!

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Apologies for the potentially stupid question as I’m not on here anywhere near as much as I used to be…but are people on here actually anti-Warne?!

A few are genuinely anti Warne, others have some valid concerns based on evidential aspects of last season, others are neutral and some are pro. Think that’s a fair summary. 
Oh and some are fluid in their views. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

11 minutes ago, nottingram said:

20 players is fine as long as (and this is key) your U21’s are trusted to fill a squad if needed.

With everyone fit that’s 2 players not even making a matchday squad. Any more than that starts getting a bit messy and hard to manage. 25 first teamers is 7 players not making the squad. 

Sure you’ll get injuries which is why you need young players comfortable being a body at least. That’s a big area we’re lacking but sure it will get sorted

It's a long time ago, But didn't Brian Clough with Division 1 with 14/15 players, Pitches were awful including the BBG 😁, Most of those players were playing 50+ games a season...what's changed 😉

It must be so hard to give any kind of interview these days with the over analysis of every word, its ridiculous.

For me the interview was interesting but not particularly enlightening, as most sensible people already understand the way these things work. But I think that the determination to be upset is so overwhelming for some people that they can't help themselves when it comes to ripping these things apart.

If I was Paul Warne I'd wonder whether it was worth offering such candour preferring to just offer one word answers. I also wonder how some of these people would cope if Arthur Cox was in charge these days, getting any information out of him was like pulling teeth.

6 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

It must be so hard to give any kind of interview these days with the over analysis of every word, its ridiculous.

For me the interview was interesting but not particularly enlightening, as most sensible people already understand the way these things work. But I think that the determination to be upset is so overwhelming for some people that they can't help themselves when it comes to ripping these things apart.

If I was Paul Warne I'd wonder whether it was worth offering such candour preferring to just offer one word answers. I also wonder how some of these people would cope if Arthur Cox was in charge these days, getting any information out of him was like pulling teeth.

Guessing you're referring to twitter as haven't seen anyone upset on here?

9 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

It must be so hard to give any kind of interview these days with the over analysis of every word, its ridiculous...

Did he really offer 'such candour'? He likes to be loquacious that's for sure, but candid, not in this interview - which I understand tbh!

What I took from this:

He's got confirmed signings, had to check with PR people whether they'd been announced yet and was told to keep his trap shut. Probably Sonny Bradley?

He's charismatic, but in an utterly bizarre kind of way. You'll either love the guy or he'll drive you nuts in minutes.

It's not running for the sake of it, cites Port Vale game etc. It doesn't mean the players are going to like it.

Much said about the 20-22 man squad, but I'm assuming that's first team ready players, with players like Rooney and Oduroh outside of that.

Overall, positive and has belated a few of my pre-season jitters.

34 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

but are people on here actually anti-Warne?!

I think there are like 3,.4 maximum. Although I could probably only name 2 of them.

Only read the write-up but good to see were looking for players who would be able to make the step-up when we go-up. 

Edited by Kokosnuss

13 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I think there are like 3,.4 maximum. Although I could probably only name 2 of them.

Only read the write-up but good to see were looking for players who would be able to make the step-up when we go-up. 

And one of those is the world’s most boring WUM unless I’m giving them far too much credit

Edited by nottingram
Timing!