Conor Hourihane

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

God knows how I spell his name.

Slightly concerned to read he has a new job at Aston Villa coaching their under16s in the evening.

And when asked if he will still be at Derby his answer was "as it stands".

Who next to jump the ship, Betty the tea lady? Head hunted by Ebbsfleet United?

We have a tea lady 

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Good for him. If it's something he can do in addition to playing for us then fair enough. Don't see what the fuss is about.

I think after a week where some think we are losing McGoldrick, have all but lost out on Roberts and other supposed targets then in our ‘fan bubble’ it puts our noses out of joint a bi moret. In the grand scheme of things it probably means very little, just crap timing and probably something we don’t need out there!

The full quote for the “as it stands” bit was in answer to a question about Derby recruiting players in the summer and aiming for promotion this season, Conor said “Yeah that’s the plan, as it stands anyway I’m at Derby for next year, you know obviously anything can happen in football we’ll see, but as it stands I’m at Derby and hopefully we can recruit well and see how it goes next year ya know?”

I don’t see that as reason to panic or write the bloke off. He spoke well about the club, how he joined last summer as he wanted to get back to playing games consistently after playing bit part roles at previous clubs  and he enjoyed last season, explaining we fell short because we drew games we should have won and lost games we should have drew. 
He still lives in the Birmingham area, if he chooses to spend a couple of hours of an evening each week coaching youngsters is it that much of a problem?
So long as he’s contracted here and he trains and plays on a Saturday/Tuesday I don’t really care how he spends the rest of his week.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Concerned why? Would sell him for nowt. 

It's a strange one because for all of the disappointment with Connor, he scored 7 goals and had a few assists.

I was thinking a full pre-season and next year he would be a key player.

I can see us parting ways by mutual consent shortly. No way he can play for 1 club and coach at another.

1 minute ago, JfR said:

I don't think it's actually that unusual for older players to do some low-level youth coaching at other clubs while still playing. I'm sure Bucko was coaching the kids here while still a Burton player, wasn't he?

Is that right? I thought it would be a conflict of interest. Hourihanne potentially able to give Villa ideas of u16s to nab from Derby.

Still, it's turning into an interesting summer and sod all has happened.

7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's a strange one because for all of the disappointment with Connor, he scored 7 goals and had a few assists.

I can see us parting ways by mutual consent shortly. No way he can play for 1 club and coach at another.

He’s coaching their under 16s as one of a group of coaches in the evenings, he lives local to them, if he’s clocked off training for the day and went home to coach a local rugby team in the evenings would anyone question it? 
He’s not the only coach, he’s not the manager, from listening to the podcast it sounds very much like it won’t impact his day job as a Derby County player and is simply part of his progress in developing himself as a coach to make the transition when he does retire a little smoother. He’s been doing coaching days and taking a proactive role in the league coaching association this last year, that didn’t stop him playing around 50 games, scoring 7 goals and providing 10 assists did it? 
Until such point that he actually does leave or it proves to be a problem how he’s spending his evenings I feel like this might be another of those moments for everyone to exercise a bit of patience and calm. 

EDIT: the podcast is available on the following link, Connor speaks to the bloke from about the 10th minute in for roughly 9 mins 

https://www.southernstar.ie/star-sport-podcast/podcast-cork-v-kerry-penalty-fallout-conor-hourihane-on-life-at-derby-county-4265050

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added link

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Are you actually for real with that last sentence? It’s really no big deal. He’s a senior pro who will spend a few hours max coaching some 15/16 yr olds, sharing the role with a few others. 

8 minutes ago, enachops said:

Are you actually for real with that last sentence? It’s really no big deal. He’s a senior pro who will spend a few hours max coaching some 15/16 yr olds, sharing the role with a few others. 

You say that with confidence, but if he has a Tuesday night appearance in late November at  Exeter, in freezing conditions, or a choice of one hour, close to home, playing keepyuppy with some fifteen year old boys, he might opt for the latter.

Edited by i-Ram
Sorry, I meant to post this in the Philip Schofield thread.